Woman Escaped The Cambodian Genocide And Became Cardi B's Personal Nail Artist

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Woman Escaped The Cambodian Genocide And Became Cardi B's Personal Nail Artist

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Jessica L. Yarbrough
dec7th 2019

But people gave me a really hard time there. They’d tell me things like, 'Go back to China,' or would call me 'Jenny from the boat.'"

They managed to escape to a Thai refugee camp, but Bui, her mother, and three of her siblings got separated from the rest of the family and ended up walking back to Cambodia over the course of three months. Toward the end of their journey, her younger brother developed chicken pox and passed away because they didn't have shelter, food, or medical supplies.

Bui put her brainstorm into action and went to work developing her aesthetic. She started out by giving customers one or two bling nails per session, as a complementary feature. But pretty soon, clients wanted every nail decked out in her signature style — and that’s how Jenny Bui became known as the “Queen of Bling.”

“When I finished, Cardi screamed all over the salon. I still have the video posted way back on my Instagram of her screaming, 'Oh my god! You made my day! I’ve never had nails like this in my life!'" Bui shares. Since then, Cardi has been a loyal client.

An appointment with Jenny Bui will cost you — her signature bling-y manicures can run up to $100, depending on the amount of stones and crystals you request. It’s so worth it, though: one manicure can last for a full month (although Cardi B reportedly likes to get hers redone every two weeks).

full https://www.ranker.com/list/jenny-bui-n ... ica-defino