The Most Influential Images of All Time

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: The Most Influential Images of All Time

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brody wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:57 pm
selected by TIME and an international team of curators
No need to yell Brody. What are you trying to say?
international curators?
paid by TIME. It means nothing. and you would be foolish to think it did

The more i look at the packaging the more i realise it is just a commercial beat up.

Please explain to me how the photo of Babe Ruth was one of the 100 most influential images that changed the world?
when it meant zip zero nuthin to the 95 % of the world's population that never saw it.
And would never have cared a flying flock if they had.
Many like that. Many.

Fab photo's all of them but no way (imo) are they-
"The Most Influential Images of All Time
EXPLORE THE STORIES BEHIND 100 IMAGES THAT CHANGED THE WORLD, SELECTED BY TIME AND AN INTERNATIONAL TEAM OF CURATORS "
That is a BIG claim by a big media organisation - so it deserves scrutiny. Fact, truth and accuracy is their business, supposedly.
Anyone examining this claim with any level of intellectual rigour can see it is patently false (imo again)

Andreas Gursky’s 99 Cent may have set the record for the most expensive contemporary photograph ever sold
- but it sure did not change the world.
Jacky Kennedy may have changed the world - but that image did not.
etc etc etc

Misleading marketing con job
(once again, the photo's are fab!)
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 pm international curators?
paid by TIME.
OK, do you have a source for that allegation?

Let me have a peek, then we can continue with the rest of your grievances.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Brody wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:57 pm
selected by TIME and an international team of curators
so they say
i agree with SternAAlbifrons, these seem to be Time photos
and as such very much targeting a us audience, but also very limited to that portfolio
where's hilter?
or the berlin wall?
nelson mandela?
the self-immolating vietnamese monk?
the ash-faced iraqi military driver?
etc

monstra mihi bona!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm so they say
That's a weak argument.

It's a Trumpian shortcut to thinking.

"Fake news!" and all that.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brody wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:45 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 pm international curators?
paid by TIME.
OK, do you have a source for that allegation?

Let me have a peek, then we can continue with the rest of your grievances.
Jeez Brody - its not an allegation. It is a common sense supposition, for anybody who knows how these things work.
I freely admit it is probably not provable, but even if not - we can pretty safely say that this panel was handpicked by TIME and they certainly would have chosen folks that see the world as they do. Most probably.
In any case there is no basis for your implication that these international panel were objective.

Yes, please do address my other grievances. Particularly relating to use of the terms "100 most influential images that changed the world." And the 58% bit.

(ffs Brody, Giant fonts, "allegations" "grievances". Chill bro)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Stern;
Please give us ur list (and not biased on the country ur from) of the 100 Most Influential

Look if ur onto Photographs, 90% of these are very recognizable.

To see why they judged them Influential, I suggest you open each one and read the text...
OR view them here ;
https://www.boredpanda.com/top-100-worl ... -all-time/

Yes its from Time magazine;
That's why TIME magazine decided to create a list of 100 most influential pictures ever taken. They teamed up with curators, historians, photo editors, and famous photographers around the world for this task.
"No formula makes for iconic photos," the editors said. "Some images are on our list because they were the first of their kind, others because they shaped the way we think. And some cut because they directly changed the way we live. What all of the 100 famous photographs share is that they are turning points in our human experience."

The result they ended up with is not only a collection of superb historical photos but incredible human experiences as well. "The best photography is a form of bearing witness, a way of bringing a single vision to the larger world.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Brody wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:01 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm so they say
That's a weak argument.

It's a Trumpian shortcut to thinking.

"Fake news!" and all that.
that's a trumpian argument

it seems to me we have a couple of americans arguing that 'yes this is totally representative of world events'
and some non-americans arguing 'no, while those are famous photos, so much is missing to be truly representative'
perhaps this is why it was called 'the american century'
lol

monstra mihi bona!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 pm Jeez Brody - its not an allegation. It is a common sense supposition, for anybody who knows how these things work.
I've come to notice that you're quite snide with your replys to posters....for example this reply to my post, clearly implying that if I don't follow your line of thinking then I lack common sense and am ignorant to "how these things work".
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 pmI freely admit it is probably not provable, but even if not - we can pretty safely say that this panel was handpicked by TIME and they certainly would have chosen folks that see the world as they do.
So how do you envisage the process to have been when interviewing the "chosen folks".

"Now, we need you international editors to tow the line here and make sure you are selecting a more US centric batch of photos and be quiet about it....because we at TIME are risking our stellar reputation for integrity by claiming international purview."

Did it go something like that?
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 pmIn any case there is no basis for your implication that these international panel were objective.
As is there is no basis for your implication that the editors of Time and international panel were fraudulently biased.

Also, just to put your mind at ease.........the font size I choose is not directly indicative of my mood. :thumb:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:15 pm 'yes this is totally representative of world events'
Show me where I "argued" that, Phnom Poon.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

brody wrote:
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 pmIn any case there is no basis for your implication that these international panel were objective.
As is there is no basis for your implication that the editors of Time and international panel were fraudulently biased.
why fraud?
why americans always adversarial?
journalists talk to their colleagues, friends, and contacts for references, opinions etc
almost necessarily that results in a 'nexus of opinion' that has a particular point of view

this list is Time's view of the most influential photos (which should surely be based on world events, to answer your last post)
several non-american, albeit non-expert, posters are saying that the list seems biased to an american point of view, and don't match their view of the most influential photos
I've given some examples
or is a non-american opinion irrelevant?

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic