What happens if a marriage in Cambodia isn't consummated?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What happens if a marriage in Cambodia isn't consummated?

Post by explorer »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:22 pm She should have made it clear before getting married that she really wasn't interested.
You are right, and she probably did, and the family probably ignored her.

What we are dealing with is partly the inexperience of young people. Young Cambodian girls who have never had a boyfriend don't really understand or know what they want.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

She may finish up getting pregnant with a man she is about to break up with, which is also not a good outcome.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm What we are dealing with is partly the inexperience of young people. Young Cambodian girls who have never had a boyfriend don't really understand or know what they want.
Which is very very strange because they all have internet and Facebook. I do not expect young people to educate themselves on sciences, languages or similar subjects. But learning natural everyday things from internet is not so hard. What are they doing on Facebook all day then?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hunter8 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 pm
explorer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm What we are dealing with is partly the inexperience of young people. Young Cambodian girls who have never had a boyfriend don't really understand or know what they want.
Which is very very strange because they all have internet and Facebook. I do not expect young people to educate themselves on sciences, languages or similar subjects. But learning natural everyday things from internet is not so hard. What are they doing on Facebook all day then?
It depends partly on how old she is. A lot of girls get married in their late teens. They don't understand very much. If she is well into her 20s she will understand a lot more.

Most of them also don't date boys. So they have little idea what to expect. In Western culture, people do learn a lot from dating.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:02 pm
Duncan wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:47 pm How hard is it for a wife/girlfriend to consumate a relationship with a hand or a blow job. If that's not her style she should let one of her friends stay the night and do the job for her.
As your lawyer I must advise that none of those things would amount to consummation in law.
Your Fired
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:10 pm She may finish up getting pregnant with a man she is about to break up with, which is also not a good outcome.
This will be difficult, since the couple are reportedly not having sexual relations and she does not want to have sex with him. :facepalm:

She should leave him. I think she could seek help from a women's association if she is in Phnom Penh. Basically this is a forced marriage, and she was paid for. I would check out the local associations for women's rights and protection for legal advice and practical help.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm
explorer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:10 pm She may finish up getting pregnant with a man she is about to break up with, which is also not a good outcome.
This will be difficult, since the couple are reportedly not having sexual relations and she does not want to have sex with him. :facepalm:

She should leave him. I think she could seek help from a women's association if she is in Phnom Penh. Basically this is a forced marriage, and she was paid for. I would check out the local associations for women's rights and protection for legal advice and practical help.
I would start with her. Ask her what she wants.

Next would be the family. Maybe the family are good people, but just got this wrong. Maybe they have learnt from it.

I would not go outside the family, without trying to solve this with the family first.

There may be a lot of things we are not being told on this forum.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 pm

I would start with her. Ask her what she wants.

Next would be the family. Maybe the family are good people, but just got this wrong. Maybe they have learnt from it.

I would not go outside the family, without trying to solve this with the family first.

There may be a lot of things we are not being told on this forum.
BUT...
explorer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 am
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 am She doesn't love the guy and got married due to family pressure.
It is crazy to pressure someone into marrying someone they don't want to marry.

She needs to make smart decisions from here on.
A smart decision would be to get out of her marriage. IMO of course.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Isn’t it straightforward grounds for divorce in Cambodia? In Uganda a trusted auntie of the bride has to spend a night with the groom before the marriage to ensure he measures up.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:53 pm In Uganda a trusted auntie of the bride has to spend a night with the groom before the marriage to ensure he measures up.
Remember Idi..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic