Where are the Gay Ladies of Cambodia?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A lesbian couple from Boston visit Cambodia.

Honeymooning in Cambodia, Lindsey Danis and her wife seek refuge in queer spaces, but struggle to find the acceptance granted to male travelers.
Lindsey Danis | Longreads | December 2019 | 16 minutes (4,081 words)

Since the new road is open, the bus ride to Siem Reap will only take eight hours. We spend an hour at the border, then an hour on the highway, then the driver kicks us all off the bus at a stucco house on what passes for a suburban street. From here, minivans leave for Phnom Penh, Kratie, and Siem Reap.

We slide against the stucco wall of the makeshift bus station, defeated. First we were overcharged for visas at the border. Then our bus was oversold, and the driver packed the aisle with plastic stools to accommodate 20 more people. Now, two hours into our journey, the bus is gone and we’re waiting on a minivan to take us the rest of the way. I wonder whether the new road exists, or if everything in Cambodia is a lie.

At last a van pulls up, but it’s bound for Kratie. A handful of passengers depart and the rest of us grumble. The crowd thins out as minivans come and go, until a dozen of us stand around waiting to go to Siem Reap. We’ve been waiting for over an hour when a rusted minivan with a cracked windshield appears. The driver shoves our bags under the seats then, out of space, tosses luggage to the roof where a second guy ties everything down.

My wife and I hurl ourselves into the van, claiming good spots. Sliding down the bench seat, she scrapes her thigh on a rusty spring that pokes through the vinyl upholstery. Our first-aid supplies are strapped to the roof. And my window doesn’t open. Off we go!
https://longreads.com/2019/12/09/where- ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Where are the Gay Ladies of Cambodia?

Post by explorer »

If you meet a lot of Cambodians, you will occasionally meet girls who will tell you that they are lesbian. There is not a huge number.

But maybe she means foreigners.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

I read through the link and they were asking why there were not more lesbians in Cambodia and very few gay bars etc. A lot of the link was complaining about the travel conditions in their bus then mini van, distance from hotel etc. They did find a gay hotel and bar but seemed overall disappointed with the lesbian scene or lack thereof. Perhaps they could or should have done a bit of homework before coming to Cambodia (by the way the link read they came through Poipet to Siem Reap and had problems with an overcharged entry visa, no transport from Poipet etc.).
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

And one last point, the Miss Universe contestant from Mynamar has come out as a lesbian making her the first competitor to ever come out in the events history.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Kahuna wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:58 pm they were asking why there were not more lesbians in Cambodia
Because fortunately khmer women cannot read feminists’ propaganda written in english. Hope it stays this way. If they were asking about khmer women. I didn’t care to read the link.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are not many Cambodian lesbians, because Cambodian girls are supposed to have babies. They need a man to have a baby.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are loads of lesbians around, they aren't exactly hard to spot. They usually have very stereotypical looks, as in one in a couple will play a dominant role and have a short back and sides and a giant ass, while the other will be slightly more feminine. The girls in the beer shop next door are typical, and I know plenty through work. Again this is something that you will not understand if you are a countryside dweller. If you want to understand the past you should stay in the village. If you want to understand modern Cambodia you will find that in the cities.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yep.^^^
and PS, forget it guys. they ain't interested in threesomes either
at least, not with the likes of us
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kahuna wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 am And one last point, the Miss Universe contestant from Mynamar has come out as a lesbian making her the first competitor to ever come out in the events history.
Not bad either, but quite large compared to the others in this village people shot?

monstra mihi bona!
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Half the girls working in hostess bar seem to be lesbians...Many seem to grt touchy with co-workers when customers aren't around too.
Their Cambo girlfriends often visit and thry are all over western lesbians or couples that visit.
Just an observation from a 5-8 drinker.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic