My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by Queef »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:08 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 am But is that an entirely ‘western’ perception?
Cambodians are more conservative than Westerners. In Cambodian culture, if a girl stays in a hotel room with a man, she is either his wife or a prostitute.
I used to hang out with a super nice Cambodian woman when I first arrived here. Platonic relationship. We would go to bars/ clubs and get trashed. Never tried to stick it up her keister. She was just a nice chick to party with.

Though she did have a full-time job and a family that didn't require her help, she would jump the bone of any white guy that would offer to pay her rent, pay for her to travel, buy her new shoes from Pedro, and a bunch of other crap.

She spent the night in several hotel rooms. I am still friend with some of the dudes that dicked her down. She didn't work in a girly bar and wasn't a platinum member at Pontoon.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Wow. Too many comments to respond to individually.

We had a good talk yesterday and she already arranged her own (and her friend) accommodation on the island prior to our conversation.

I googled the app and there are guys that use it as a hookup app. I explained this to her and that there is a rating system in the app. I told her that if she wants to keep using the app she should contact the previous guides her new client has been touring with before. This way she has an idea of who she would be guiding around.

She also tells them that she needs a copy of their passport and will send this and their complete itinerary with contact information of the places they go to, to her bf for security measures. The guy apparently has a daughter and understands my concerns and is willing to meet with me before heading out of pp.

I also mentioned she should put in her profile she is a professionally licensed tour guide and to mention that if you are a pervert not to contact her.

Instead of doing these things she deleted the app and would only tour clients that she gets through an agency to avoid any issues that could possibly arise..

On another note. I don't give my gf any money she makes roughly $500-700 with her ngo job and some Facebook business of her friend. I pay the rent, food and most times we go out for dinner. She invites me to the cinema, ice cream or dinner regularly (where she pays). She is a proud independent girl who is slightly naive but understands logic and reasoning.

Thanks everyone for your input...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Queef wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:20 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 am But is that an entirely ‘western’ perception?
Cambodians are more conservative than Westerners. In Cambodian culture, if a girl stays in a hotel room with a man, she is either his wife or a prostitute.
I used to hang out with a super nice Cambodian woman when I first arrived here. Platonic relationship. We would go to bars/ clubs and get trashed. Never tried to stick it up her keister. She was just a nice chick to party with.

Though she did have a full-time job and a family that didn't require her help, she would jump the bone of any white guy that would offer to pay her rent, pay for her to travel, buy her new shoes from Pedro, and a bunch of other crap.

She spent the night in several hotel rooms. I am still friend with some of the dudes that dicked her down. She didn't work in a girly bar and wasn't a platinum member at Pontoon.
Reminds me of my mate saying, shit the girl's over here are all up for it, as I meet him for breakfast with the girl from the laundry mat
Anyway I think the opp has his questions asked good luck to him what ever he decides.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Thank you for this app, sounds very promising to discover new places in depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:57 pm Thank you for this app, sounds very promising to discover new places in depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For those keeping track at home, 'quality travelers' means men who give lavish gifts and lots of money.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Or his 'songsa' beside his wife.... :facepalm:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:38 pm
Or his 'songsa' beside his wife....
To Cambodians, she is also a prostitute.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:38 pm
Or his 'songsa' beside his wife....
To Cambodians, she is also a prostitute.
To Cambodians, no Cambodian female is a prostitute. She's 'just a poor girl trying to help her family'.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:48 pm To Cambodians, no Cambodian female is a prostitute. She's 'just a poor girl trying to help her family'.
If you want to start that, you need to define prostitute.

Cambodian culture is conservative. Any girl who sleeps with a man she is not married to, is a prostitute.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:53 pm
Tarndog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:48 pm To Cambodians, no Cambodian female is a prostitute. She's 'just a poor girl trying to help her family'.
If you want to start that, you need to define prostitute.

Cambodian culture is conservative. Any girl who sleeps with a man she is not married to, is a prostitute.
To you maybe?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic