Expats in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Expats in Cambodia

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Dear Expatriates and readers;

The recent problems and the rapid increase in social and mainstream media exposure surrounding foreigners in Cambodia make professional foreigners look foolish-for want of a better word.

As I've said in a previous thread that local authorities will get tired of bad foreign behaviour, any suggestions on schemes crazy or otherwise that would help to alleviate this kind of negative press ?
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Expats in Cambodia

Post by Francis »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:..... local authorities will get tired of bad foreign behaviour,
??????? actually most of the foreigners here really grew tired of local authorities and a wild, uncontrolled xenophopic mob.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:The recent problems and the rapid increase in social and mainstream media exposure surrounding foreigners in Cambodia make professional foreigners look foolish-for want of a better word.
I don't understand.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

LTO wrote:
VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:The recent problems and the rapid increase in social and mainstream media exposure surrounding foreigners in Cambodia make professional foreigners look foolish-for want of a better word.
I don't understand.
I'm gonna dig up the archives over the last 3 months and back this up...tomorrow.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I think we'll all have to start wearing this when we're so we don't draw attention to ourselves:

Mandatory if you're out drunk acting a fool.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

General Mackevili wrote:I think we'll all have to start wearing this when we're so we don't draw attention to ourselves:

Mandatory if you're out drunk acting a fool.
Except in a CNRP demonstration maybe ?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Could have used one a couple of nights ago when the legs stopped working. Also decidedly more attractive than some faces I've woken up next to.

A "must have" this xmas for all drunks.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

My original point regarding misbehaving expatriates needing policing by those who would. Local authorities don't get paid enough to do that. Expatriates coming from developed countries "ought to" know how to behave better so shouldn't need to be babysat.
More media, the increase in publications and exposure with foreigners under the microscope, I guess that I'm looking at finding a way to suppress the increase of scrutiny which won't put the reputation of foreigners into disrepute.

Edit: foreigners in general. Not all tourists and expats are naughty.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

There is a rising xenophobia in Cambodia that is looking for any way to justify its bigotries against foreigners. I agree that with greater exposure through social media, it is getting ever easier for xenophobes and others to find examples of poor behavior. But I also think it is unrealistic to expect foreigners to behave better simply because they are foreigners, especially in the cases of tourists and bottom feeder crowd. Tourists, especially younger ones, are prone to being assholes all over the world, whether it's Ensenada, Koh Samui, Goa or Koh Rong. As Cambodia continues to mainstream, the tourist numbers will continue to rise, and regardless of what they should do, some tourists and low lives will continue to be assholes in ever greater numbers. Xenophobes aside, this will eventually and inevitably lead to disillusionment in the locals and greater controls (visas, law enforcement, new laws, etc) by the authorities. It's in the nature of the game. The golden age has passed. I think the greater danger to the normal expat/foreigner crowd is that the xenophobes and nationalists may use it as an excuse to attack foreigners (whether legally, physically or elsewise), but that has more to do with Cambodians and the direction that Cambodia is taking than the predictably poor behavior of young tourists and bottom feeders.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

after soundblaster Christmas, its now the night of the 30th to the 31st.
normally, everyone goes to bed early, to be fit for tomorrows NYE party.

dunno when exactly it started, but at some point around 12:30 am I heard it in the back of the house with earphones on:
the dogs howling in front of the house in such a crazy way and loud, I have never heard before. and - trust me - I have heard a lot in asia...

there is still barking. I bet, it starts around 3 am again...

oh, and just in case you are living here and pretend to not know... YES.. its the guys who start howling and egg on the dogs...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic