Expats in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Expats in Cambodia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:they keep saying chkai in my hearing
Take it as a compliment frank, they're offering you a local delicacy...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Last edited by Digg3r on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't really see the issue with this. The locals are well able to distinguish between lost-it fuct up foreigners and others who are able to keep their shit together. About 8 years ago there was a story in the papers about a western beggar, Eric. There were comments from locals saying they were quite pleased to see him around town, because it reminded them that it wasn't only Cambodians who ended up on the scrapheap.
If there is any bad feeling that might develop between the foreign residents and the locals, it will probably stem from the way too many supposedly-respectable foreigners show a disdain for the locals and insist on calling them stupid and ignorant etc. Not saying it isn't true at times, but that sort of disrespect will piss a lot more people off than a few wasted westerners wandering about ever will.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

John Bingham wrote:I don't really see the issue with this. The locals are well able to distinguish between lost-it fuct up foreigners and others who are able to keep their shit together. About 8 years ago there was a story in the papers about a western beggar, Eric. There were comments from locals saying they were quite pleased to see him around town, because it reminded them that it wasn't only Cambodians who ended up on the scrapheap.
If there is any bad feeling that might develop between the foreign residents and the locals, it will probably stem from the way too many supposedly-respectable foreigners show a disdain for the locals and insist on calling them stupid and ignorant etc. Not saying it isn't true at times, but that sort of disrespect will piss a lot more people off than a few wasted westerners wandering about ever will.

The thing here is that Phnom Penh is not much of a tourist attraction anymore in comparison to what else is happening around the rest of the country.
So with little else to do for the westerners but go to bars and clubs and drink and cause trouble, well then the rest of the expats that live and work will get tarred with the same dirty brush.
As the need for teachers diminishes, and the rest well of opportunity dries up for westerners, those that arrive with delusions of Cambodia being the European version of Ibiza (seeing as Thailand is under some regime change and tourists getting randomly checked or even murdered), well, you see where i'm going with this.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:...So with little else to do for the westerners but go to bars and clubs and drink and cause trouble, well then the rest of the expats that live and work will get tarred with the same dirty brush...
Except none of that is happening. In terms of tourist attractions, Phnom Penh is pretty much the same as it's been for a decade, well, with a few more bars and a lot less brothels. The people that hang out in the bars still go to bars, and the people that don't, still don't. And, like LL said, Cambodians are smarter than you give them credit for. They can tell the difference between low life tourist drunks and normal people doing their jobs and living their lives.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah, seeing they are watching us and analyzing us every second we are publicly visible, they are well able to distinguish us as individuals- not some amorphous horde.

i have had people come up to me from 5 years ago and smile and say hello, then remind me we had met.

we don't all look the same to khmers.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

I'm calling bollocks Mr Ho Ho.

A few streets in a 2m+ city, a street or 2 in Siem Reap and a couple of beaches in SHK is where most of the magic happens. Granted there are a few bad eggs, but give Khmer credit for recognizing them as such.

If you'd spent last year out where I had to, then maybe you'd see how really fucked up a lot of locals can be/get, comparable with even the most obnoxious meth head Russian vodka swigger on Victory Hill.

Westerners are also a cash cow, there to be milked.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am wondering if he is a conflicted pinoy standing at the buffet as a bulimic.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Kampong Spooner wrote:I'm calling bollocks Mr Ho Ho.

A few streets in a 2m+ city, a street or 2 in Siem Reap and a couple of beaches in SHK is where most of the magic happens. Granted there are a few bad eggs, but give Khmer credit for recognizing them as such.

If you'd spent last year out where I had to, then maybe you'd see how really fucked up a lot of locals can be/get, comparable with even the most obnoxious meth head Russian vodka swigger on Victory Hill.

Westerners are also a cash cow, there to be milked.

It's the responsibility of the local authorities to deal with said "fucked up locals". But when foreigners do it, then it becomes bothersome as I have said before, westerners should know better.

It isn't just a few streets in a 2m+ city now though. Boeng Keng Kang, Boeng TraBek, Toul Tompong, these are districts that are rife with expat/foreign civilians.
frank lee bent wrote:i am wondering if he is a conflicted pinoy standing at the buffet as a bulimic.
You're not the first user to comment on my avatar. Experiences for expats in Cambodia differ (obviously!) My experiences have been fantastic and hence why I am still here having a blast...in comparison to the stories we read about with dead foreigners in guest houses. Or the videos that we watch and pictures we see where foreigners beat each other over a jealous rage or because they can't get a handle on their inebriation.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:...westerners should know better.
You seem to have a very low view of Cambodians. You charaterize them too stupid to be able to tell the difference between a drunken tourist and a businessman, so childlike (of perhaps wild and immoral) so as to be unable to control themselves like westerners who should know better, and so bigoted that the sight of a drunken white tourist will lead their simple minds to believe all whites are drunken tourists.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic