Expats in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Re: Expats in Cambodia

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

potty wrote:after soundblaster Christmas, its now the night of the 30th to the 31st.
normally, everyone goes to bed early, to be fit for tomorrows NYE party.

dunno when exactly it started, but at some point around 12:30 am I heard it in the back of the house with earphones on:
the dogs howling in front of the house in such a crazy way and loud, I have never heard before. and - trust me - I have heard a lot in asia...

there is still barking. I bet, it starts around 3 am again...

oh, and just in case you are living here and pretend to not know... YES.. its the guys who start howling and egg on the dogs...
Is there a hidden message here? Can someone help me decipher this? Is this how my posts read sometimes ? :please:
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:any suggestions on schemes crazy or otherwise that would help to alleviate this kind of negative press ?
We could offer a sacrifice from the ranks the barang community every full moon. We could use the sky deck the new Vattanak Tower, hold burning torches, bang some drums, then make the sacrifice walk the plank. Broadcast the whole thing live on Heng Meas.

May I suggest the OP as our first offering?
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

One night I watched from my 3rd floor window as a TOTAL NUTTER paced around talking in Khmer angrily and occasionally inspecting a product on sale and throwing it to the ground with loud comments. The old lady was in the process of closing up. Later that night he came into the guesthouse (turned out he was in the room across the hall) and did about the same thing smashing a rather large box display of One condoms onto the floor whereupon, cops were called and he was hauled off. The guy was on drugs, I'm guessing heroin. He'd just walk around in circles in the lot looking at the street but not going out. I said a few things but he just gave me a blank stare. Only time I heard non Khmer was when he spoke English to the cops when they brought him back to drop settle up with the owners or something. He said he wanted to go to his room, he'd left something there. I'm figuring his stash as he would not take THAT to the cop shop, they'd come by for him to get his bags earlier. NOW...I MIGHT have been able to TELL the owners to get the cops when I saw his crazy antics across the street that night, but I'm not sure expats working with local cops is such a great idea either. Tho waiting for fuckups and crossing fingers ain't so great either. I think maybe something a little less than Patters expats in black working WITH the cops MIGHT work ok. Cops where I was had any brains they'd have a trusted local expat guy to go to with questions or consult. Might help. Would certainly chip away at the us/them thing I think.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:
potty wrote:after soundblaster Christmas, its now the night of the 30th to the 31st.
normally, everyone goes to bed early, to be fit for tomorrows NYE party.

dunno when exactly it started, but at some point around 12:30 am I heard it in the back of the house with earphones on:
the dogs howling in front of the house in such a crazy way and loud, I have never heard before. and - trust me - I have heard a lot in asia...

there is still barking. I bet, it starts around 3 am again...

oh, and just in case you are living here and pretend to not know... YES.. its the guys who start howling and egg on the dogs...
Is there a hidden message here? Can someone help me decipher this? Is this how my posts read sometimes ? :please:
You're not alone...I can never understand Potty's posts either.

In fact, I am a little confused by Mr Curious' last post also :?
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

snigger...

yeah.. the wife of another one with comprehensive problems recently twittered...
my husband dead already
go on you weirdos... :good:
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

potty wrote:snigger...

yeah.. the wife of another one with comprehensive problems recently twittered...
my husband dead already
go on you weirdos... :good:
I'm not following your logic. Do you think that the local authorities need to hire expat recruits to help with policing after-hours?
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

only if they are very well armed and made to wear jackboots.

have you some deep and personal thirst for justice against these wild turkey- esque characters OP?
does it disturb you that you may be mistaken for one of them?
whence this wyatt earp zeal to clean up a place that has never been a model of rectitude?
are you a reincarnated colonial french administrator or a victim of the colonial oppressor?
a policeman or want to be?

life is not fair you know.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

How many Khmer actually deal with barang on a day to day level?

Outside a few streets in PP, SHK and Siem Reap, I'd say 95% of the population have barely seen a white face, let alone cast negative dispersion because of bad behaviour. St 51/Pub St/Otres aren't the whole country, and to be fair the locals get up to WAAAAAAY crazier shit than a handful of pissheads and junkies in the tourist spots ever do.

Most silly antics get shrugged off with a 'barang ch'kort' in my experience.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they keep saying chkai in my hearing
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

its xenophobia, and hatred for everything superior from the west, what causes their schizo-probs.
its not riverside.
same as in Thailand. the drunken weirdos they value most. as they may marry a local and support the whole family, be killed soon after and cause a major flow of cash.
the more idiot, the better they "like" you walking atm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic