Banksy- art makes you think

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 am Far Outtt! ^^
Do you do that, Andy?
It's only work with the smartphone and editing. Taking a photo of the bike, and imposing the image on the building behind.

I would like to do some street art! But I have only one painting I have in mind, that too of a stencil has the street artist named by this thread, and thinking more about what the artwork, and what it would represent, being what it would be about.
Being around the area I am now, also it would have to be of the time, having some type of meaning and importance of the events that were happening, and something that had an effect on all of us. Easy really would you not agree -

But, it's not going to happen, due to I am no street artist like Banksy whom would perform his work undercover with the aid of the nights darkness.
No! I don't think I would like to be named on CEO, in the news section of being arrested for vandalism and defacement, sitting in Pra Sar waiting for my deportation.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:18 pm But, it's not going to happen, due to I am no street artist like Banksy whom would perform his work undercover with the aid of the nights darkness.
No! I don't think I would like to be named on CEO, in the news section of being arrested for vandalism and defacement, sitting in Pra Sar waiting for my deportation.
Indeed there AndyKK, would not like to see you named and shamed..for example, in the manner of Kieran Gajraj with only one sock in your underwear.. :stir:

Let this be a warning to all :lol:

general-chatter/kieran-thomas-gajraj-ar ... n%20gajraj
Spoiler:
ImageImage
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Graffiti tagger turns gallery owner

With its roots in the early hip-hop scene of 1970’s and 1980’s New York City, graffiti as an art form has over the years gone from being viewed as destructive vandalism to becoming a celebrated and widely imitated guerilla art form that uses spray paint to add color and imagination to decaying urban landscapes.

Graffiti-style lettering and graffiti-inspired graphics are everywhere in pop culture now, but there are still artists dedicated to the original mission of graffiti culture who like to do things the old fashioned way: Spray painting walls, sometimes with permission but often without.

Fonki (a pseudonym) is one such artist who has been covering walls and canvases across the globe and he’s one of the people most responsible for introducing graffiti art to the Kingdom, a place where it had little prior history and is still rarely sighted even in Phnom Penh.

Back in 2012, the French-Khmer Montrealer painted a family portrait for a documentary film called The Roots Remain, which documents Fonki’s return to Cambodia and the painting of a giant mural as an emotional tribute to his relatives who were killed in the genocide.

The film also shows that during his time in Cambodia, Fonki connected with a group of Cambodian youths who were hoping to breathe new life into their damaged culture. Though Fonki had visited Cambodia prior to 2012, it was the experience of the film project that he says called his heart to move from Canada to Cambodia a few years later.

Read the full artical -

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... lery-owner
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Cool kids: The future of Khmer street art on show

On a sweltering afternoon this week, young Cambodian street artists Daniel Ou (aka Strange the Rabbit) and the pseudonymous Mike added some flourish to a five-metre winged garuda in an alley just off Street 240.

Alongside them was French veteran Chifumi Tättowiermeister: The three completed a mural together last year in another alley – the one connecting Street 21 to Norodom Boulevard – that was covered up on the orders of Phnom Penh City Hall in December.

At age 20, Daniel Ou is the oldest of the four Cambodian artists participating in this year’s Cambodia Urban Art Festival, set to launch next week, though he’s still relatively new to the scene.

The first edition of the festival, which took place last April, put up nine murals on walls around the city. This year, there will be 14 scattered around the Chaktomuk area, with work by both Cambodian artists and prominent foreigners. The Khmer names on the festival poster reflect a focus on this sort of young talent rather than the street-art masters.

Ou and Mike, aged 19, met last year at a skateboard shop, and quickly began working together. They are undeniable cool kids: the confident Ou spent his childhood in Los Angeles and speaks in perfect American English; Mike sports a sideways cap and a neck tattoo.

The duo primarily paint symbolic lettering. Ou – who spent his early years in the US – has a limited understanding of written Khmer, but has fused it with gothic Latin letters to create a meticulous and artistic take on tagging. The indecipherable writing system contains nonsensical English phrases and serves as aesthetic accompaniment for some of 29-year-old Chifumi’s work.

Read the artical from 2016 -

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-week ... t-art-show
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:18 pm I would like to do some street art! But I have only one painting I have in mind, that too of a stencil has the street artist named by this thread, and thinking more about what the artwork, and what it would represent, being what it would be about.

Being around the area I am now, also it would have to be of the time, having some type of meaning and importance of the events that were happening, and something that had an effect on all of us. Easy really would you not agree -

But, it's not going to happen..
I don't think I would like to be named on CEO, in the news section of being arrested for vandalism and defacement, sitting in Pra Sar waiting for my deportation.
Yes i would agree. And i think The Times, ie now, are are a worthy subject. 'Extraordinary times.
(so is your distinctive bike a worthy subject for that matter, now that you have been in the 'hood for a while)

OK, given you are in a foreign country - i will step back from my preference for anonymity and the "reclaiming of the public space" anarchic aspects of "authentic" Street Art.
No, you don't want to risk Prey Sar for the cause of free street art. (pinching a 50 mill Van Gogh might be a different calculation)

What about approaching the owner of a suitable brick wall? Do it legal. Pick your spot.
Maybe flash out a couple of quite small ones first - maybe your bike or something easily appealing like that - and then if you get a good reaction you can take it further.
Might help to have a respectful chat with the local commune chief if the project gets a bit bigger.

Yes, you would be in the the public face, but i reckon it could be really (really really) appreciated. Especially in these extraordinary times.
??
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:07 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:18 pm I would like to do some street art! But I have only one painting I have in mind, that too of a stencil has the street artist named by this thread, and thinking more about what the artwork, and what it would represent, being what it would be about.

But, it's not going to happen..
I don't think I would like to be named on CEO, in the news section of being arrested for vandalism and defacement, sitting in Pra Sar waiting for my deportation.
Yes i would agree. And i think The Times, ie now, are are a worthy subject. 'Extraordinary times.
(so is your distinctive bike a worthy subject for that matter, now that you have been in the 'hood for a while)

OK, given you are in a foreign country - i will step back from my preference for anonymity and the "reclaiming of the public space" anarchic aspects of "authentic" Street Art.
No, you don't want to risk Prey Sar for the cause of free street art. (pinching a 50 mill Van Gogh might be a different calculation)

What about approaching the owner of a suitable brick wall? Do it legal. Pick your spot.
Maybe flash out a couple of quite small ones first - maybe your bike or something easily appealing like that - and then if you get a good reaction you can take it further.
Might help to have a respectful chat with the local commune chief if the project gets a bit bigger.

Yes, you would be in the the public face, but i reckon it could be really (really really) appreciated. Especially in these extraordinary times.
??
I think in times past I would indeed have no reservations at pursuing the possibilities. But now I am getting too the stage, that just that here is of too much of a big effort, it's not the prospects of being turned down or even given the go ahead, but it is the nature of how things are conducted here. Mainly in attitude, not forgetting you are asking for permissions firstly, and possibly from the owner of an appropriate area of wall, but not only that, being the next stage would be permissions from a local authority and more than likely higher because who I am, and that being a Barrang, and you know how it is, the hand will be open for payment from the very first outset, and I imagine from the first, the payment will only grow. Even then I would think there is no garentee that that would be the end of it, or the start of any kind of painting.
I have been happy enough with the continuation of the paintwork on the motorbike, and yes, it had continued a few times more since we had last talked about it. I think I have enjoyed the paint product that I have used over the time, and there was always, what if I did or used it in a different way. Being what it is today with Covid19, it’s given me good interest in doing what I have been doing. Unfortunately, I have not got round to completing part two of the writeup of the bike build, being that I was continuously moving on to a new paint job. In reflection I should have finished the writeup a long time back, and then maybe done another on the subject of painting.
Now I can say the bike painting is finished, and I may have gone has far to the limits of what the paint product will allow.

Just a few photos of the bike and paint.

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

I see that bike Andy and i see you.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Teacher artist seeks broader canvas
Peter Olszewski / Khmer Times
Rolling Stone drummer Charlie Watts lives on in Siem Reap, hanging from the walls of John Ladbury’s Rock Around the Clock bar.

His portrait, together with portraits of other rock luminaries comes courtesy of long time Siem Reap British expat and school teacher Richard Oatley.

Oatley, a former house decorator in London, took up painting murals after encouragement from his loyal pupils in Siem Reap.

“The inspiration came from the children really,” he says. “I had been designing educational bits and pieces for my class and they included quick line drawings that I allowed the children to colour when they had completed their work.

“They always wanted more. So when I was given the large classroom, it was just so empty of feelings, bare and blank walls. I changed all that to make it a welcoming room full of life and colour. My class like copying my work and so do the other classes – I think it inspires them to think outside of the box,” he says.

“The kids love them and interact as much as they can, and I think I’m doing more than scratching the surface of their imagination,” says Oatley.

With schools having been shut for some time Oatley suddenly had no walls to paint or audience of kids.

He abandoned mural painting, adopting a new style and a new medium, and seeking a new audience he approached the Rock Around the Clock teacher- turned bar owner Johnny English aka John Ladbury, to see if he could hang some of his new work there in print form to sell at $80 per print.
Oatley’s new art is a departure from traditional paint and canvas and journey into things digital.

“I don’t believe what I do it has a name but you could call it digital enhancement or digital manipulation,” he says. “I’m just bringing art into the 22nd century.

“To create a work, first of all I select an image that catches my attention. I then use several apps or programmes and start to fine-tune the image. Some people say I press buttons and they would be correct, but there is also a lot more to it than that,” he says. “I have developed a good style, and my old professor is pushing me to contact some London galleries through the internet.”

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/936094/tea ... er-canvas/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

UK street artist Banksy's famous balloon girl work to go on sale

A version of British graffiti artist Banksy's famous "Girl and Balloon" artwork was unveiled by Christie's as the highlight of the London auction house's upcoming sale.

The two-part or diptych canvas depicts a small child letting go of a heart-shaped red balloon and was painted by the elusive wall dauber in 2005.

It is expected to fetch up to £3.5 million (4 million euros, $4.7 million) when it goes on sale on October 15.

"Of course, Banksy is the king of the streets, he's almost a bit like the Robin Hood of the art world," Katharine Arnold, head of Post-War and Contemporary Art in Europe for Christie's, told AFP.

"Banksy used this image... outside a printing shop, it appeared on a wall, then a couple of years later, it appeared on the Southbank, another little girl with another balloon, and then in 2005, he created this diptych addition of works," she explained.

The girl with balloon has "become something of a leitmotif for Banksy and it's very very celebrated," added Arnold.

"I think after 18 months of long pandemic, really this sense of hope and aspiration that you have with this little girl letting go of the love into the world as she lets go of the balloon is what we absolutely need at this moment in time."

A Banksy canvas that was partially shredded moments after it sold at auction in 2018 is going back under the hammer on October 14.

Originally called "Girl with Balloon" but now entitled "Love is in the Bin", it is being offered for sale by Sotheby's, with a guide price of £4-6 million.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... rk-go-sale
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

"Of course, Banksy is the king of the streets, he's almost a bit like the Robin Hood of the art world," Katharine Arnold, head of Post-War and Contemporary Art in Europe for Christie's, told AFP.

Cred ?
lol
Spoiler:
Gimmie a spray can, qik - and the address of the auction
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic