When there's no water in the Mekong for elec in PP...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: When there's no water in the Mekong for elec in PP...

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The warming climate will affect rainfall in different places differently.
In the hot-house climate here, where weather is intensified anyway, those extreme weather events will probably be exaggerated in both directions.
And yes, it is new territory.

Dams magnify that, and just in themselves they are the biggest factor immediately. easily.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 am The warming climate will affect rainfall in different places differently.
In the hot-house climate here, where weather is intensified anyway, those extreme weather events will probably be exaggerated in both directions.
And yes, it is new territory.

Dams magnify that, and just in themselves they are the biggest factor immediately. easily.
I am no expert on the situation, but it seems it could be the point of no return, unless the other countries on the Mekong un-dam too.
"Camel trek the Great Sandy River" there is no sand, it's in Singapore or destine for Chinese buildings. :stir:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 am "don't know themselves"

Ummm
Maybe the dams?
Maybe "increased severe weather events including drought"?

Why does NObody listen to the scientists?
They know exactly WTF is going on and have been talking about it for years.

But glad to hear it has attracted a little curiosity now that everybody's 24hr aircon is threatened.

(and you wonder why Greta and all the other bright bright kids are steaming angry)
I probably wasnt clear. we know its dams and drought. I meant their seems to be no coordination between the dams themselves or any organization that keeps track of what the dams are doing. so probably no one knows exactly how its going to effect electricity and water supplies. it certainly looks like it will be a lot worse then last year tho
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

I think I've found a solution, now I just need a nerd!

Apparently you can link a deep cell battery to a UPS, which would give me a chance to daisy chain a couple of deep cells if I needed.

That should give me the power to survive any shut-off.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Rework ... -Capacity/

Is there a nerd in the house?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 am Dams magnify that, and just in themselves they are the biggest factor immediately. easily.
I am no expert on the situation, but it seems it could be the point of no return, unless the other countries on the Mekong un-dam too.
"Camel trek the Great Sandy River" there is no sand, it's in Singapore or destine for Chinese buildings. :stir:
Dams could make it better if managed properly. They could let the dam levels drop gradually during the dry season, so the rivers keep flowing, then ensure the dams are full at the end of the wet season. Instead of keeping the dams full during the dry season, then letting the water go when it rains, causing floods.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 am Of course there’s an argument to be had that the climate change (let’s not use global warming/cooling as those were proven to be a non-starter already) models are far from accurate and need a serious overhaul.
breaking Science
major study -

Climate models have accurately predicted global heating, study finds
Findings confirm reliability of projections of temperature changes over last 50 years

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tudy-finds

PS Ira, I was not saying that global warming is causing the present low water levels.
I was making a parallel, about people suddenly waking up to a situation when it is already too late.
Scientists has been warning about exactly this Mekong/dams scenario for a number of years now.
...and some people, who totally ignored them before, are now saying "oh, i think we might have a small problem after all"
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:08 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 am Dams magnify that, and just in themselves they are the biggest factor immediately. easily.
Dams could make it better if managed properly. They could let the dam levels drop gradually during the dry season, so the rivers keep flowing, then ensure the dams are full at the end of the wet season. Instead of keeping the dams full during the dry season, then letting the water go when it rains, causing floods.
Water flow from China’s Jinghong dam to decrease

Vientiane, Lao PDR, 6 August 2019 –– The outflow of water from the Jinghong hydropower station in China’s Yunnan province will decrease by about 25-45 percent over five days, according to an official notification from China’s Ministry of Water Resources being copied to the Mekong River Commission Secretariat on Monday.
In the notification, the Ministry said the amount of water from the Jinghong dam will start decreasing from 1,100 cubic meters per second (m3/s) to about 600-800m3/s from August 11 – 15 before it will be gradually returned to the original level.
The decrease is made for the “maintenance for the transmission lines of the power grid,” the notification said. The Jinghong dam lies on the upper part of the Mekong River, where it is known as the Lancang in China.

Severe to extreme drought is expected to hit countries in the lower Mekong basin from now until January 2020, warns the Mekong River Commission. Thailand and Cambodia would be hardest hit compared to Lao PDR and Viet Nam.

http://www.mrcmekong.org/news-and-event ... -decrease/

www.mrcmekong.org/news-and-events/news/ ... -shortage/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic