Richshaws along norodom

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Richshaws along norodom

Post by John Bingham »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:03 pm It's been like that as long as I can remember.
You've been here longer than the ban on tuk-tuks on Norodom. Time to get that memory checked!
Fair enough. I don't even remember seeing tuk tuks the first time I was here! This article says the ban is from 2009:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ed-new-ban
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm
Spigzy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:03 pm It's been like that as long as I can remember.
You've been here longer than the ban on tuk-tuks on Norodom. Time to get that memory checked!
Fair enough. I don't even remember seeing tuk tuks the first time I was here! This article says the ban is from 2009:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ed-new-ban
I know you've been here years longer than me & I recall it being introduced; elementary my dear JB. I thought you would regale us with a tale of the year Stegosauria were banned from Angkor Wat!! :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm I don't even remember seeing tuk tuks the first time I was here!
In the old days, they used to have these.

They replaced the bicycle with a motor bike, added a roof, made a few other changes, and they had a tuk tuk.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm a stupidly large SUV
These are the vehicles that cause all of the congestion in the city, most owners drive them as a status symbol, "hey look at how much $$$ I have, I drive a stupidly large SUV, just for me, my wife drives her own, and my kids have their own also", I doubt the majority of the SUVs around have ever been off-road... most of the clowns driving them, whist scrolling through FB on their smartphones, have zero concern for other road users - absolute C**Ts!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm
These are the vehicles that cause all of the congestion in the city, most owners drive them as a status symbol, "hey look at how much $$$ I have, I drive a stupidly large SUV, just for me, my wife drives her own, and my kids have their own also", I doubt the majority of the SUVs around have ever been off-road... most of the clowns driving them, whist scrolling through FB on their smartphones, have zero concern for other road users - absolute C**Ts!
At no point whilst driving it do I consider my Lexus 570 Supersport 2019, “upgraded to 2020 bong”, pure leather & 24 karat gold trim & Louis Vuitton furniture cushion accessories a “status symbol” thank you very much!!

:stir:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm
I have seen plenty of SUV's that are off the road.
Spoiler:
parked on the footpath
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm whilst driving it
You've lost face already, spigzoid.

No self respecting bong twat or nouveau riche Khmer would be caught dead driving their own luxury SUV.

Driving is for plebes.......that's why they all have their own cadre of grey safari suited thugs manning the drivers seat.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm I don't even remember seeing tuk tuks the first time I was here!
In the old days, they used to have these.

They replaced the bicycle with a motor bike, added a roof, made a few other changes, and they had a tuk tuk.

I knew that, here's one in (now)Kandal Province in 1960 with a Mobilette pulling it.

I posted this in 2009.
http://phnompenhplaces.blogspot.com/2009/10/

And a couple in Phuo Quoc in 2012:

Some of the ones they still use in Siem Reap are similar.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Brody wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:30 pm
Spigzy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm whilst driving it
You've lost face already, spigzoid.

No self respecting bong twat or nouveau riche Khmer would be caught dead driving their own luxury SUV.

Driving is for plebes.......that's why they all have their own cadre of grey safari suited thugs manning the drivers seat.
Eagle eyes Chief; I don't even drive any longer such is the fall from grace that I'm now back on two wheels!

Although that's a choice to be honest: Sit in the back of an SUV in rush hour for 1.5 hours across town every day with an idiot driving & me seeing every mistake like the Stig slowly boiling to explosion, OR on two wheels, 1000cc's of cruiser goodness & 20 mins even in rush hour. Easy choice for the modern day office career monkey! #Productivity
:evil:

And yes, ban tuk-tuks nationwide - #1 on my election manifesto!!! #VoteSpigzy
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm I either drive a stupidly large SUV and they're hopelessly slow and in the way,
#SpigzyForPM
Spigzy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm At no point whilst driving it do I consider my Lexus 570 Supersport 2019, “upgraded to 2020 bong”, pure leather & 24 karat gold trim & Louis Vuitton furniture cushion accessories a “status symbol” thank you very much!!
Spigzy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm And yes, ban tuk-tuks nationwide - #1 on my election manifesto!!! #VoteSpigzy
Yep, you're in Spigz - a born parlimentarian for sure.

(just highlighting the attitudes of the ruling class on behalf of the United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic