First time work permit

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AM34
Expatriate

First time work permit

Post by AM34 »

Hi all,

I'm looking to get updated information on getting a first time work permit. My company is recently registered in Cambodia and has never hired a foreigner before, so don't really know the process and I don't totally trust the info they've given me.

1) What documents do I need?
I've been told I need a physical aptitude cert, which I can get from any clinic/hospital. However, research suggests I should go to the Ministry of Labour.

I've also been told that I need a residential certificate, and that I should contact my landlord (I really don't want to get him involved). My friends tell me they've never needed a residential or registration cert to get a work permit. Research online says that I can go to the Immigration Police, Sangkat, etc. Any clarity around this?

Any other docs required (beside photos, passport scans)?

2) Should I wait until Jan 2020 to start this process? I understand the permits expire each calendar year.

3) Is there a chance that I'll encounter issues re-entering the country with an EB visa but no work permit? I'm planning to take a short trip at the end of Dec, but hoping to submit my passport today to get my visa switched.

Thanks in advance all!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: First time work permit

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

AM34 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am Hi all,

I'm looking to get updated information on getting a first time work permit. My company is recently registered in Cambodia and has never hired a foreigner before, so don't really know the process and I don't totally trust the info they've given me.

1) What documents do I need?
I've been told I need a physical aptitude cert, which I can get from any clinic/hospital. However, research suggests I should go to the Ministry of Labour.

I've also been told that I need a residential certificate, and that I should contact my landlord (I really don't want to get him involved). My friends tell me they've never needed a residential or registration cert to get a work permit. Research online says that I can go to the Immigration Police, Sangkat, etc. Any clarity around this?

Any other docs required (beside photos, passport scans)?

2) Should I wait until Jan 2020 to start this process? I understand the permits expire each calendar year.

3) Is there a chance that I'll encounter issues re-entering the country with an EB visa but no work permit? I'm planning to take a short trip at the end of Dec, but hoping to submit my passport today to get my visa switched.

Thanks in advance all!
First things first...Your employer needs to apply for their "Foreign Employee Quota" with the MoLVT. This can be applied for on the Work Permit website https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/ . Applications are open, advise your employer to get this done ASAP.

To answer your other questions;

1) physical aptitude cert. You need to have the medical conducted at an MoLVT approved clinic, or directly at the MoLVT clinic.

The "Certificate of Residence" is easily obtained from your Sangkat Administrative office. Please use the search function as details on how to apply have been covered numerous times. Note: If you live in Siem Reap the process is different, you need to go to the Dept of Immigration first, then your Sangkat.

2) As this is your first Work Permit, you can apply now, however you cannot apply until your employer has received their "Foreign Employee Quota", which it sounds like they don't have yet.

If you apply in Jan, be aware that there is a high chance that you will be charged the retroactive fee for the 2019 WP if you are here on an EB EOS. If you have been in Cambodia previous years on an E-type Visa EOS without a WP, it is likely that you will be charged retroactive fees for those years' WP's also.

Work Permit renewal application period is 01st Jan - 31st March each year (often they extend the deadline until end of April). Failure to apply for your renewal by the deadline results in a fine.

Work Permits are valid only for the calendar year, no matter when you apply.

3) No...Work Permits are the remit of the MoLVT, not the DoI. You will not face any issues entering on an EB EOS.

Lastly...Do not use an agent to apply for your WP, do it yourself online at... https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/
tuktuk
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tuktuk »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:41 pm First things first...Your employer needs to apply for their "Foreign Employee Quota" with the MoLVT. This can be applied for on the Work Permit website https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/ . Applications are open, advise your employer to get this done ASAP.

To answer your other questions;

1) physical aptitude cert. You need to have the medical conducted at an MoLVT approved clinic, or directly at the MoLVT clinic.

The "Certificate of Residence" is easily obtained from your Sangkat Administrative office. Please use the search function as details on how to apply have been covered numerous times. Note: If you live in Siem Reap the process is different, you need to go to the Dept of Immigration first, then your Sangkat.

2) As this is your first Work Permit, you can apply now, however you cannot apply until your employer has received their "Foreign Employee Quota", which it sounds like they don't have yet.

If you apply in Jan, be aware that there is a high chance that you will be charged the retroactive fee for the 2019 WP if you are here on an EB EOS. If you have been in Cambodia previous years on an E-type Visa EOS without a WP, it is likely that you will be charged retroactive fees for those years' WP's also.

Work Permit renewal application period is 01st Jan - 31st March each year (often they extend the deadline until end of April). Failure to apply for your renewal by the deadline results in a fine.

Work Permits are valid only for the calendar year, no matter when you apply.

3) No...Work Permits are the remit of the MoLVT, not the DoI. You will not face any issues entering on an EB EOS.

Lastly...Do not use an agent to apply for your WP, do it yourself online at... https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/
OP doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing. I would just use an agent, much easier.
AM34
Expatriate

Post by AM34 »

Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm banking on my company knowing what they're doing, and/or paying the fines when it turns out they don't.

Do I need my passport for the health check? It's in with the visa agents now, so don't have access but want to get the ball rolling.

Thanks again folks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic