Moving from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jessecpyee
Tourist
Vietnam

Moving from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh

Post by jessecpyee »

Hi All.. I'm new here. I will be moving from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh soon so I plan to hire a moving companies to move all my household goods and personal effects to PP but they will be subject to duty. Does anyone know roughly how much the custom will charge for the duties? Thanks.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Moving from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Technically there is no import tax/duty to be paid on imported used personal household goods.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Have you ever been to PP>>>>>
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

By the way, may I ask why moving ? Thanks.
jessecpyee
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by jessecpyee »

jubo2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:25 pm By the way, may I ask why moving ? Thanks.
Got a better job opportunity at PP.
jessecpyee
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by jessecpyee »

DaveG wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:39 pm Have you ever been to PP>>>>>
Yes, I have been to PP twice.
jessecpyee
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by jessecpyee »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 pm Technically there is no import tax/duty to be paid on imported used personal household goods.
Really? Hopefully I won’t be charges for any duty to be paid as most of the moving companies stated that there might be a certain amount I need to pay for the duties/import tax.. Only those who work for NGO or Diplomat no need to pay this kind of duties.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I moved from HCMC to Phnom Penh around 4 years ago and did not get charged any import duties on my household items.
jessecpyee
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by jessecpyee »

jimpson wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:59 am I moved from HCMC to Phnom Penh around 4 years ago and did not get charged any import duties on my household items.
Hi Jimpson.. Mind to share which moving company you used that time?
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

Sorry for the late reply I answered this yesterday afternoon but lost the internet connection and I see that the message did not go through and has been lost.

I do not remember the name of the company as it was a long time ago (August 2015)

The company were located in the same building that I used to rent an apartment in.

Building address is Cuu Long Apartments 351/31 Nu Trang Long , Binh Thanh W13, HCMC Vietnam

If you go to the block of apartments take the road around to the back of the building and the company's Office is on the Ground Floor at the top of the last stair from the parking area to the building. The company came to my apartment, packed the goods, made the inventory, boxed the goods and delivered them to Phnom Penh. All we needed to do was give them the address in Phnom Penh and provide them with a telephone number to contact us to ensure that there was someone at the address to accept the delivery.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic