How do khmers compare with thais?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

How do khmers compare with thais?

Post by Pedroviera »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 am
andy_morris wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am
phuketrichard wrote:ok; jump on me,
but all the above holds true for Thai's, Laos and Burmese.
so what makes Khmer different?

A few of the basic differences i see ;
the BS & costs you need to go thru to get married and the many clothes you need change into
The way they deal with traffic and police stops ( zero respect)
The number of Generals in the army
Think you missed the point of the thread here, Debbie downer
:please:
pray tell, whats the point?
Khmers are better / different than other SE Asian's?

Their not..... they just have a darker past
BUT Burmese,Thais and laostions have been fucked over as well..
a few general observations/opinions here I add obviously not hard facts.... I believe Cambodians are more humble than thais by a long ways. Smiles more genuine less ego... Cambos also show at least some curiosity toward the outside world (compared to thais anyways) Thais believe they are a superior being/place... Cambodians more open to foreigners. As a culture Cambodians have more energy, more social, more alive... Thais appear to me a listless and numb bunch in their interactions even with each other. Watching the way they interact with each other compared to Cambodians big difference.... Again Egos of Thai people are big in many many ways. Almost as if they haven't ever been humbled... They seem to have th
e world figured out but don't know anything...... Thais do have nice infrastructure so the power stays on. Nicer places to walk in the city. Better version of pizza
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: now the other side of the story

Post by phuketrichard »

Pedroviera wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:58 am

the BS & costs you need to go thru to get married and the many clothes you need change into

a few general observations/opinions here I add obviously not hard facts.... I believe Cambodians are more humble than thais by a long ways. Smiles more genuine less ego... Cambos also show at least some curiosity toward the outside world (compared to thais anyways) Thais believe they are a superior being/place... Cambodians more open to foreigners. As a culture Cambodians have more energy, more social, more alive... Thais appear to me a listless and numb bunch in their interactions even with each other. Watching the way they interact with each other compared to Cambodians big difference.... Again Egos of Thai people are big in many many ways. Almost as if they haven't ever been humbled... They seem to have the world figured out but don't know anything...... Thais do have nice infrastructure so the power stays on. Nicer places to walk in the city. Better version of pizza
Not disagreeing, as its ur opinion BUT what are you basing your opinions on? Have you spent time with locals in both countries? Alot of what you write about Thai's are stereotypes by people that have not really spent time with Thai's .
I have spent time with locals in villages and cities in Thailand and Cambodia.
Both are open, both are interested in the outside world, both are enjoyable company ( although Khmers do seem to push the Lao khao more on ya)

But for me i enjoy my time more with educated locals, (more so if they were educated abroad) than rice farmers as we just dont have much in common.

I know wealthy, educated and Illiterates from both countries.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:28 pm

a few general observations/opinions here I add obviously not hard facts.... I believe Cambodians are more humble than thais by a long ways. Smiles more genuine less ego... Cambos also show at least some curiosity toward the outside world (compared to thais anyways) Thais believe they are a superior being/place... Cambodians more open to foreigners. As a culture Cambodians have more energy, more social, more alive... Thais appear to me a listless and numb bunch in their interactions even with each other. Watching the way they interact with each other compared to Cambodians big difference.... Again Egos of Thai people are big in many many ways. Almost as if they haven't ever been humbled... They seem to have the world figured out but don't know anything...... Thais do have nice infrastructure so the power stays on. Nicer places to walk in the city. Better version of pizza
Not disagreeing, as its ur opinion BUT what are you basing your opinions on? Have you spent time with locals in both countries? Alot of what you write about Thai's are stereotypes by people that have not really spent time with Thai's .
Both are open, both are interested in the outside world, both are enjoyable company ( although Khmers do seem to push the Lao khao more on ya)

But for me i enjoy my time more with educated locals, (more so if they were educated abroad) than rice farmers as we just dont have much in common.

Thai interested by outside world ? you are so funny, or just living in your own world.

Even USA educated Thai know nothing about the rest of the world, everybody knows that, and it's not stereotypes.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:28 pm Not disagreeing, as its ur opinion BUT what are you basing your opinions on? Have you spent time with locals in both countries? Alot of what you write about Thai's are stereotypes by people that have not really spent time with Thai's .

Can you speak Thai or Khmer more or less fluently?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I speak thai, BUT< what does that matter??
Thai interested by outside world ? you are so funny, or just living in your own world.

Even USA educated Thai know nothing about the rest of the world, everybody knows that, and it's not stereotypes.
BS; have some very educated thai friends ( educated in the uk or usa) , some are in the goverment, some are upper police, some are successful businessmen and they are as up on world affairs as you.
So tell me,how many educated thais are you friends with?
How long have you lived in Thailand to make your assumptions?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:08 pm I speak thai, BUT< what does that matter??
It matters everything. Language is a soul of the nation. Not speaking it is scratching on the surface. How can one spend time with locals without speaking it? I mean, yeah, sure one can drink a beer or two with locals and listen to their basic broken English but does it help to know them much? You got to talk to their heart, sorry but you cannot do that in English.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How do khmers compare with thais?

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Pedroviera wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:58 am a few general observations/opinions here I add obviously not hard facts.... I believe Cambodians are more humble than thais by a long ways. Smiles more genuine less ego... Cambos also show at least some curiosity toward the outside world (compared to thais anyways) Thais believe they are a superior being/place... Cambodians more open to foreigners. As a culture Cambodians have more energy, more social, more alive... Thais appear to me a listless and numb bunch in their interactions even with each other. Watching the way they interact with each other compared to Cambodians big difference.... Again Egos of Thai people are big in many many ways. Almost as if they haven't ever been humbled... They seem to have th
e world figured out but don't know anything...... Thais do have nice infrastructure so the power stays on. Nicer places to walk in the city. Better version of pizza
I pretty much agree. They are more laid back, less looking for offense and less violent. But on the other hand I think due to poverty in the poorer families the girls are pretty much expected to support the men, so theres more theft and probably violence at that level. Its probably partly because its a small country, theres nowhere to escape to, and unless you learnt another language, its a small world with not many options
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

jubo2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:58 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:28 pm

I nearly spat out my coffee! I think he works for TAT
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:08 pm I speak thai, BUT< what does that matter??

BS; have some very educated thai friends ( educated in the uk or usa) , some are in the goverment, some are upper police, some are successful businessmen and they are as up on world affairs as you.

I have been teaching in a Thai university for 10 years, so I guess that I met more educated people and students than you. Stop dreaming your life, you have only been dealing with tourists and idiot Thai working in tourism. Sorry but you clearly know nothing and live in your own bubble.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm going to agree with Richard here. It really depends on the circles you move in, whatever country you are in. If you are just residing in a place and not involved you will meet likely meet very different people than those with longer-term interests. It's amusing when visitors judge a place by the low-rent motel staff they encounter. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic