How to avoid the scam of body transport from Siem Reap to PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

How to avoid the scam of body transport from Siem Reap to PP

Post by Vincentlennox »

Nothing imminent, hopefully but I am planning ahead with MonkHouse for pre-paid cremation and disposal of remains in Siem Reap because I live here.
US citizen and remaining Sister and Brother are aware. Police will look to collect up to $2K for death outside of a hospital for transporting body to Khmer/Russian Friendship Hospital. Any advise when planning?
Thanks much!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How to avoid the scam of body transport from Siem Reap to PP

Post by DaveG »

So what happens if you don't pay the 2 grand !!!!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

The question is a bit puzzling. You say you want to do cremation in Siem Reap then transport the body to Phnom Penh. After cremation there is no body. Do you want to transport the ashes to the hospital in Phnom Penh? Why?

The police will not charge $2000 for a death outside a hospital - the fee is around $80 for the government doctor plus a small donation to the Policeman's Benevolent Fund (maybe $50). Doing a cremation in Siem Reap only costs a donation to the temple - $50 is OK, more is better. Transporting the body to the temple for cremation is slightly more problematic as only special vehicles will do it - maybe $50-$100.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

thanks for the info...
i have a young wife and wanted to know how much.
i told her...no big funeral...
she went into debt when her father died...
My mother just died in the USA on Thanksgiving.
I just returned from there 10 days ago...Now, I have to fly back and deal with it...
It made me think about making sure my wife is not put in a position where she sells her gold or takes out a loan over me...
My neighbor died on his tuk tuk a month ago..Huge funeral...no way I want my wife footing the bill.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

j57 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 am thanks for the info...
I just returned from there 10 days ago...Now, I have to fly back and deal with it...
It made me think about making sure my wife is not put in a position where she sells her gold or takes out a loan over me...
My neighbor died on his tuk tuk a month ago..Huge funeral...no way I want my wife footing the bill.
There probably will be a big event when you pass away, has something to do with gaining face etc etc. if you don't want her to foot the bill put some money aside. You can have a private cremation in front of your house for about 500$, add another 500 for the food and drinks on day 1-2 ceremony and another 500$ for the 7th day ceremony. Then add money for the police. All in all 2000$ should do. There will be some donations too, which she can use to cover for the 1 year ceremony. There's no way your wife will simply have you cremated at the temple I'm afraid.
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Vincentlennox »

DaveG wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:21 pm So what happens if you don't pay the 2 grand !!!!
Not sure as there is nobody around to ask but I think they play the "sympathy" card with relatives through the Embassy.
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Vincentlennox »

j57 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 am thanks for the info...
I have instructed MonkHouse as to a NO FRILLS cremation which can take 3 hours. No parade, music, food, beverage etc. etc. $600 including disposal of remains in SR river. I am in the very early planning stage so what I say now might change. Best that I can determine it is necessary to make all parties aware of your wishes especially your Embassy, I am told they are good at following your instructions and dealing with the police scams. Refrigerated space may be an issue as the process can, I imagine, take a few days.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

" You can have a private cremation in front of your house for about 500$". :shock: :shock:

How the F**K does that work ?????, do they just build a big bonfire and plonk you on the top like Guy Fawkes or is it more like a Viking pyre !!!!

I have to admit I don't like the sound of this option :?

PS, and there is also the danger of setting the whole street on fire with an exploding kneecap or something :shock: :shock:
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

DaveG wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 am " You can have a private cremation in front of your house for about 500$". :shock: :shock:
What will it cost Brody to recreate Charlie Sheen’s funeral?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic