How to avoid the scam of body transport from Siem Reap to PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: How to avoid the scam of body transport from Siem Reap to PP

Post by samrong01 »

Vincentlennox wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:13 am
j57 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 am thanks for the info...
i have a young wife and wanted to know how much.
i told her...no big funeral...
she went into debt when her father died...
My mother just died in the USA on Thanksgiving.
I just returned from there 10 days ago...Now, I have to fly back and deal with it...
It made me think about making sure my wife is not put in a position where she sells her gold or takes out a loan over me...
My neighbor died on his tuk tuk a month ago..Huge funeral...no way I want my wife footing the bill.
I have instructed MonkHouse as to a NO FRILLS cremation which can take 3 hours. No parade, music, food, beverage etc. etc. $600 including disposal of remains in SR river. I am in the very early planning stage so what I say now might change. Best that I can determine it is necessary to make all parties aware of your wishes especially your Embassy, I am told they are good at following your instructions and dealing with the police scams. Refrigerated space may be an issue as the process can, I imagine, take a few days.
No it can all be done as quickly as the same day as the death (provided no suspicious circumstances) with disposal of the ashes - if that is what you want - the following day or later if you like. I think I recall its customary for the ashes to remain in the pagoda for a period of about 7 days for the monks to pray over them. In the death of a foreigner the police will insist on advising the embassy and getting acknowledgement before they close the case. This can be done by phone with emailed reply. The embassy do not need to be involved with the cremation although it is likely they will offer to assist in repatriation of remains if wanted. 3 hours is about right for cremating the body. $600 seems high for a basic cremation without ceremony.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I just returned from there 10 days ago...Now, I have to fly back and deal with it...
It made me think about making sure my wife is not put in a position where she sells her gold or takes out a loan over me...
My neighbor died on his tuk tuk a month ago..Huge funeral...no way I want my wife footing the bill.
my condolences, its hard to lose ones mom> When my mom passed, i was there holding her hand telling her, its ok.She had left $1,000 in her will to cover the cremation and costs.

Have told my gf, ( and its in my will) no ceremony, no monks, take me out back, (like they did with her mom and grand-mom total cost under $200) and burn me, Its only flesh, I'm gone...
Then the family all went in and built this stupa at the Wat on her 1 year anniversary of her death...
Dam Face bs.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DaveG wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 am " You can have a private cremation in front of your house for about 500$". :shock: :shock:

How the F**K does that work ?????, do they just build a big bonfire and plonk you on the top like Guy Fawkes or is it more like a Viking pyre !!!!

I have to admit I don't like the sound of this option :?

PS, and there is also the danger of setting the whole street on fire with an exploding kneecap or something :shock: :shock:
No, they will build a temple like temporary (steel) construction with an oven inside where ever you want (or are allowed). Not allowed in Phnom Penh city I think, but popular among the (new) rich outside of the capital. Issue for foreigners might be you are not just left with ashes afterwards, but quite some scattered bones. But that'll be an issue at the temple as well. The whole cremation will take 4-5 hours, not 3. Price about 15 days ago was 500$ for the whole 'show' including some fireworks.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 am
my condolences, its hard to lose ones mom> When my mom passed, i was there holding her hand telling her, its ok.She had left $1,000 in her will to cover the cremation and costs.

Have told my gf, ( and its in my will) no ceremony, no monks, take me out back, (like they did with her mom and grand-mom total cost under $200) and burn me, Its only flesh, I'm gone...
Then the family all went in and built this stupa at the Wat on her 1 year anniversary of her death...
Dam Face bs.....
Will be interesting to see what will happen. You can tell them, but if you're no longer around....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 am
I have instructed MonkHouse as to a NO FRILLS cremation which can take 3 hours. No parade, music, food, beverage etc. etc. $600 including disposal of remains in SR river. I am in the very early planning stage so what I say now might change. Best that I can determine it is necessary to make all parties aware of your wishes especially your Embassy, I am told they are good at following your instructions and dealing with the police scams. Refrigerated space may be an issue as the process can, I imagine, take a few days.
No it can all be done as quickly as the same day as the death (provided no suspicious circumstances) with disposal of the ashes - if that is what you want - the following day or later if you like. I think I recall its customary for the ashes to remain in the pagoda for a period of about 7 days for the monks to pray over them. In the death of a foreigner the police will insist on advising the embassy and getting acknowledgement before they close the case. This can be done by phone with emailed reply. The embassy do not need to be involved with the cremation although it is likely they will offer to assist in repatriation of remains if wanted. 3 hours is about right for cremating the body. $600 seems high for a basic cremation without ceremony.
At the cremation I attended the 'ashes' were kept in the house directly after the cremation.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am
DaveG wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 am " You can have a private cremation in front of your house for about 500$". :shock: :shock:

How the F**K does that work ?????, do they just build a big bonfire and plonk you on the top like Guy Fawkes or is it more like a Viking pyre !!!!

I have to admit I don't like the sound of this option :?

PS, and there is also the danger of setting the whole street on fire with an exploding kneecap or something :shock: :shock:
No, they will build a temple like temporary (steel) construction with an oven inside where ever you want (or are allowed). Not allowed in Phnom Penh city I think, but popular among the (new) rich outside of the capital. Issue for foreigners might be you are not just left with ashes afterwards, but quite some scattered bones. But that'll be an issue at the temple as well. The whole cremation will take 4-5 hours, not 3. Price about 15 days ago was 500$ for the whole 'show' including some fireworks.
I've seen it done differently in the countryside. A square pyre was built of 2 X 4 type wood and the shrouded body was burned on top of that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Nepal style
looks good to me

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Vincentlennox »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 am
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Vincentlennox »

Thanks much. Every bit of info helps put the pieces together. I like the same day and not needing refrigerated space. I'll assume that would be delayed for the Embassy to notify next of kin especially if there is a large difference in time zones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic