What and where and how to buy a new scooter?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

What and where and how to buy a new scooter?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

The mrs currently has a 6 year old Honda Zoomer and she’d like to upgrade to a new bike here in PP. She uses the bike mostly for short trips. Any recommendations on what bike to buy? What garage? Whether part ex is common and recommended?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: What and where and how to buy a new scooter?

Post by IraHayes »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 pm The mrs currently has a 6 year old Honda Zoomer and she’d like to upgrade to a new bike here in PP. She uses the bike mostly for short trips. Any recommendations on what bike to buy? What garage? Whether part ex is common and recommended?

What to buy?
Take her round the dealerships and see which one she likes. If she is after a 125cc based bike theres not much between them is there? except styling and maybe a fancy LCD display.

Where to buy?
As above ... take her to the main dealers in PP.

How to buy?
Place hand into pocket and take out wallet. Start placing $100 dollar bills on the counter till the nice sales person say stop. You wife will sort out the registration paperwork as your OP makes out that her current moto was purchased new.

There may be posts concerning the finer points of why 1 particular make and model is better than another but tbh your wife probably will just choose one she "likes" so arguing over minor details is a non-starter.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for me waste of $$ to buy a 125 over a 100 or 110 and as stated Honda vs Yamaha vs whatever all the same...

As we are moving over next year will just visit the Honda dealer and have her go alone inside an choose which 110 honda wave is in stock in the color she likes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

Does her feet reach the ground.
Is the bike not too heavy.
Does the tank take 6 of gas so you don't have to stop and fill often.
Does it cost less than 600$.
Is it a new model, so not like everyones.
Does it have a 5 in the name.
You want all of that.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

IraHayes wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:35 pm
chinesetakeaway wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 pm The mrs currently has a 6 year old Honda Zoomer and she’d like to upgrade to a new bike here in PP. She uses the bike mostly for short trips. Any recommendations on what bike to buy? What garage? Whether part ex is common and recommended?

What to buy?
Take her round the dealerships and see which one she likes. If she is after a 125cc based bike theres not much between them is there? except styling and maybe a fancy LCD display.

Where to buy?
As above ... take her to the main dealers in PP.

How to buy?
Place hand into pocket and take out wallet. Start placing $100 dollar bills on the counter till the nice sales person say stop. You wife will sort out the registration paperwork as your OP makes out that her current moto was purchased new.

There may be posts concerning the finer points of why 1 particular make and model is better than another but tbh your wife probably will just choose one she "likes" so arguing over minor details is a non-starter.
Sorry I didn’t realize this was the ‘Ask the children’ Section but nevertheless thanks!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

LOL! all three replies were in a not-so-serious-condescending tone.
You are buying a new bike. Go to the main dealers. you know just like back home.... new car or bike.... go to a main dealer ... pay them ... register the paperwork .. drive it away.
Only problems I had back in the UK doing this was waiting a couple of extra weeks because I wanted a particular colour. (A black Suzuki 600 Bandit back in '97)
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

IraH, why do you feel compelled to contribute when you have no useful information other than to mock? Anyway, when I buy a car back home here are some points I would consider,

Is the dealer reputable? Recommendations?
What extras can you expect? Longer warranty? Subsidized or free maintenance?
Does the dealer offer generous part-ex terms?
Is servicing the vehicle expensive?
Will the vehicle hold its value?

Is the vehicle prone to theft?
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I think they're all prone to theft, one of the guys working as a labourer on my house a little while back claimed he could leave his moto unlocked because who would steal his shitbox, and lo! It came to pass. People steal empty cans.

$1500 is a Wave, she'll probably want a Scoopy or something automatic for $2500 for the base model. After that you're just adding comfort. The Yamahas are apparently ok, my wife is Honda only so I'm no expert. My dad's wife has a Yamaha. The Suzukis are apparently shit. Chinese ones are meant to be disposable. You can't go wrong buying a Honda.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:12 pm IraH, why do you feel compelled to contribute when you have no useful information other than to mock? Anyway, when I buy a car back home here are some points I would consider,

Is the dealer reputable? Recommendations?
What extras can you expect? Longer warranty? Subsidized or free maintenance?
Does the dealer offer generous part-ex terms?
Is servicing the vehicle expensive?
Will the vehicle hold its value?

Is the vehicle prone to theft?
Buying a car is not the same as buying a little motorcycle

If its a dealer and been around, there dong something right
Seldom buying in asia will you get any extras, even if ur paying cash up front
Terms are for suckers
Servicing a small motorcycle?? change the oil every 1500 kms, (under $5) put air in the tires, apart from that nothing will go wrong for at least 15,000 kms
If its a Honda YES
I have a 15 year old honda wave, could probably still sell it for $300 and paid $1,200 new
leave it unlocked it will be stolen.

NO idea why she wants sell a 6 year old honda, its good for another 8 at least
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If only my GF would buy me a new motorcycle just for me gaining face.... :stir:

Serious note: there’s no technical reason to replace a six year old zoomer unless she drove it all the way to Australia and back without changing the oil.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic