British Businessman Gregg Fryett Fraud Trial Delayed Again

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Businessman Gregg Fryett Fraud Trial Delayed Again

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court once again postponed the trial of British businessman Gregg Fryett on Tuesday after he and three fellow defendants, all facing fraud charges, declared they were not given proper notice of the hearing.

Mr. Fryett, 47, the former chairman of the U.K.-based Sustainable Growth Group—which has been under investigation by Britain’s Serious Fraud Office for selling stakes in a Cambodian bio-fuel project that went bust—said he had not had enough time to prepare.

“I have no translator, so on that basis I ask for the trial to be postponed,” he told the judge.

Mr. Fryett said he was only told of the court date at 4 p.m. on Monday and had no time to arrange for a translator. He rejected the court’s offer of an interpreter.......

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/frau ... ime-74797/

BEFORE PREY SAW PRISON:

AFTER PREY SAW PRISON:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Businessman Gregg Fryett Fraud Trial Delayed Again

After more than 3 years in prison, Gregg Fryett and his co-accused stand trial. Fryett has now submitted a criminal complaint against the court, alleging that case against him is "false and malicious".
The Cambodia Daily
Fryett Accuses Prosecutor of Kidnap and Torture

by Ouch Sony and Taylor O'Connell | June 8, 2016

The deputy prosecutor in the grueling fraud trial of British businessman Gregg Fryett recused himself on Tuesday as a result of a criminal complaint submitted by the accused, who alleged that the court’s pursuit of the case constituted “kidnap” and “torture.”

“Deputy prosecutor Ly Sophanna has decided to withdraw himself because he is involved in Mr. Gregg’s criminal complaint,” Judge Chuon Sokreasey told the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Tuesday.

“The judges will request that His Excellency prosecutor [Yet Chakriya] assign a new deputy prosecutor…to replace him,” the judge said.

However, the crux of Mr. Fryett’s complaint—that the decision to pursue the case against him was “false and malicious”—was not addressed by Judge Sokreasey, who ignored a request for a delay to review the complaint and said the trial would continue on Wednesday.

“The case is still illegal. They’ve just changed the bloody name,” Mr. Fryett said outside the courtroom on Tuesday.

The businessman was charged along with four associates in 2013 for allegedly creating fake documents to purchase and clear more than 6,000 hectares of land in Banteay Meanchey province from Mao Malay, the wife of Deputy Prime Minister Ke Kim Yan.

Mr. Fryett has said the land deal was legitimate and blamed a group of local officials headed by former provincial court director Ang Mealaktei—who is now serving jail time for a separate corruption conviction—of fabricating the case in order to seize the assets of his company, International Green Energy.

According to Mr. Fryett’s complaint, Vann Sophanna—a senior Forestry Administration official who filed the initial criminal complaint—did not have a legitimate grievance and abused his office in order to create the case...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/frye ... re-113764/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Cambodia Daily
Embassies Raise Concerns Over Briton’s Case

by Sonia Kohlbacher and Ouch Sony | June 30, 2016

“I believe that Mr. Fryett has a criminal lifestyle.” This was the conclusion of an investigator at the U.K.’s Serious Fraud Office in a report submitted to a London court in February 2012.

More than four years later, and more than three years after his arrest in Cambodia, British businessman Gregg Fryett is still in prison without a conviction. But the U.K., which first raised a red flag over his operations in Banteay Meanchey province, is now stepping in to make sure the suspected fraudster doesn’t fall victim to Cambodia’s corrupt court system.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/emba ... se-114840/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

As the trial against the British businessman and his co-defendents continues, farmers are claiming compensation for land they cleared but which was never planted.

Farmers Claim Losses in British Businessman’s Biofuel Case
Six years ago, about 300 farmers in Banteay Meanchey province were hired to lay the groundwork for a 3,000 hectare jatropha plantation—part of British businessman Gregg Fryett’s plan to establish a multimillion-dollar biofuel industry.
But after only 20 hectares of jatropha trees were planted, work ground to a halt, Mr. Fryett’s legal woes escalated and his project fell apart...

Farmers stopped work in 2012, Mr. Pher said, around the time that Mr. Fryett’s U.K.-based firm Sustainable Agro Energy (SAE) came under investigation by Britain’s Serious Fraud Office. The farmers are seeking to recover their losses after a season of lost harvest on land that was cleared but never planted.

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/farm ... se-115131/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

After nearly 4 years, the complex trial of Gregg Fryett and his business associates, relating to allegedly fraudulent business practices, draws to a close. Mr Fryett continues to maintain his innocence in his last speech before the Cambodian court.
Mr. Fryett [also] made a final plea for justice.

“I spent $11 million and I was locked up for four years in prison. I wasted millions of dollars and hundreds of people also lost their jobs,” he said. “I want you to follow the law. Not for me, but for Cambodians.”
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/byza ... se-122005/
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Seems to be a fair smell of bullshit here to me. If there had been 300 farmers there, working for the company. A lot more Jatropha would have been planted.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Guilty....next!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

General Mackevili wrote:Guilty....next!
I can foresee a profitable riverside palm reader activity if your desert english teaching positions ever dry out :wink:

Personally I always saw this case as a classic "conman getting scammed" story.

Also, doesn't Mr Fryett looks angry as hell on these last pictures ? Remind me of some movie character but I can't put a name on it yet.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

In case you were wondering what this is about:

Friday 5 April 2013
'How an eco-pioneer from Torquay launched a miracle crop, risked a fortune, and ended up in a Cambodian prison'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 62441.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Con.....victed!