Is there a reliable taxi firm operating from Phnom Penh airport?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Is there a reliable taxi firm operating from Phnom Penh airport?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sad thing is - all these trembling nervous nellies who spout the virtues of PassApps will be the ones bemoaning the disappearance of the "Traditional tuk tuk, one of wonderfully charming features of old Phnom Penh, now sadly gone"
- 5 minutes after they put them out of business by trying to save 25 cents..

Then fork out 20 bucks for a safe conducted tourist ride in restored antique.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:50 am If you ever drop your suspicious minds and make friends with a few true salt-of-the-earth, soul-of-cambodia, real
cambodian tuk tuk drivers, you could just call them up and have them high-ride you home in a coach fit for a king.
With his beaming grin of sincerely wicked delight that you are back in town. His friend.
6/7 bucks and totally safe if you a not an idiot or a paranoic.

Better than riding in a pathetic little Passapp pill of pox or a grubby Grab rat cage. Any day.
the only way to arrive back home >>
post357536.html?hilit=airport%20tuk%20tuk#p357535
PassApp (and I assume Grab) have both those old trailer tuk-tuks and a range of cars. And a car is cheaper than those old rip-off waiting tuk-tuks.
"Traditional tuk tuk, one of wonderfully charming features of old Phnom Penh, now sadly gone"
Traditional? They haven't even been around that long, there were none in Phnom Penh in the early 2000s.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"traditional tuk tuks"
as in - not the new ones

But scholars say Suryavarman II would have used them for sure if elephants had not been so easily available.
No way he would be seen in a PassApp.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Surely cyclos are more traditional. Get an old man with diesel fume-induced emphysema to huff you to Riverside.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:41 pm Surely cyclos are more traditional. Get an old man with diesel fume-induced emphysema to huff you to Riverside.
you jest and I take your point, but pity the poor old man whose income (used to) comes from a cyclo service. I like to see the locals supporting them by using them. Has anyone asked the cyclo 'driver' with no other skills to earn a living from if he'd rather be extra poor or rather suck in those fumes?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

pczz wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 am Theres is a price list on the kiosk. Only official taxis can pick up im the airport but you can wlk outside and call a grab or passapp. won't save you afortune and unless you are travekking solo and small baggage a passp is going to be crowded.IMHO notworth the hassle to save $5 or so unless you are doing it often
Grab does pick up inside the airport. Usually by arrivals. If you order a JustGrab, you get a Lexus RX about half of the time. Typical ride cost to Riverside is $7.50, less if they have promos. Those are the facts. Make your choices.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 pm
pczz wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 am Theres is a price list on the kiosk. Only official taxis can pick up im the airport but you can wlk outside and call a grab or passapp. won't save you afortune and unless you are travekking solo and small baggage a passp is going to be crowded.IMHO notworth the hassle to save $5 or so unless you are doing it often
Grab does pick up inside the airport. Usually by arrivals. If you order a JustGrab, you get a Lexus RX about half of the time. Typical ride cost to Riverside is $7.50, less if they have promos. Those are the facts. Make your choices.
It's worse than that. I tried to book a grab from Russian Blvd right outside the airport and the app refused to let me set my pickup point there and kept dragging the pin back inside the airport. I booked a Passapp instead. By the time I'd buggered around with it, two buses had passed. :?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:00 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 pm
It's worse than that. I tried to book a grab from Russian Blvd right outside the airport and the app refused to let me set my pickup point there and kept dragging the pin back inside the airport. I booked a Passapp instead. By the time I'd buggered around with it, two buses had passed. :?
Yes, the number 3 bus is also good. I believe it now goes to Riverside again, near the Night Market. Only 1500 riel. Nearly as quick as a car and good aircon. Enjoy some repartee with the factory girls if you pass at change of shift time.
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Feelgood »

Thank you guys. .
The voice of experience is the way to go.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just get a car from the booth at arrivals, for the sake of a few dollars more you will have better security, a big space for your bags, ease of mind etc. I've found that the Taxi apps don't work too well within the airport and even outside I've had PassApp driver trying to charge me $10 for a $5 fare on the screen. The bus is perfectly safe but I think you should take a bit of care if you are new in a place and have a lot of luggage.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic