Bangkok British tourist locked up in ‘horror’ prison, fellow inmate dies in his arms

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Bangkok British tourist locked up in ‘horror’ prison, fellow inmate dies in his arms

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

PHOTO: mirror.co.uk

By The Thaiger
November 23, 2019

Imprisoned for overstaying his visa, 35 year old Kai Isaacs claims a fellow inmate died in his arms following a brutal beating

A British father of two has shared his horror story after being locked up in a Thai jail. Imprisoned for overstaying his visa, 35 year old Kai Isaacs claims a fellow inmate died in his arms following a brutal beating. The incident happened back on May 21 in the International Detention Centre, situated next door to the swanky Sathorn residential area in Bangkok.

“It was the worst three months of my life. It was hot, it stank, it was noisy, it was violent and scary.”

“When this American lad, Rickey McDonald, came in they singled him out. They didn’t like the USA much. They picked on him from the minute he walked in the room. They beat him and beat him and beat him. He was bullied to the point he couldn’t get water. They gave you a three-litre bottle to fill up but the water was only on for an hour a day. If he stood up they hit him.”

His problems started when he travelled to Thailand in August 2018 with a one-way flight to visit his girlfriend. He claims the cash he’d sent himself through MoneyGram was unable to redeemed when he arrived in Thailand. He was told somebody else had already withdrawn the cash.

“It’s an inhumane place. There are guards but there is a hierarchy among the inmates. The bosses were Iranian ­gangsters and regularly gave severe beatings. Every moment in there was horrific. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.”

full https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... n-his-arms
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Bangkok British tourist locked up in ‘horror’ prison, fellow inmate dies in his arms

Post by fax »

Rickey “Rick” Eric McDonald, 41, of Lexington, passed away May 21, 2019 in Bangkok, Thailand. A Lexington native, he was born on June 14, 1977. He was a graduate of Dunbar High School (’96) and attended St. Lawrence University, University of Copenhagen, and Georgetown University. He held a teaching certificate in English and was a published author. Rick enjoyed travel and traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia.

https://milwardfuneral.com/obituaries/3 ... c-mcdonald
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Re: Bangkok British tourist locked up in ‘horror’ prison, fellow inmate dies in his arms

Post by angsta »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 am
His problems started when he travelled to Thailand in August 2018 with a one-way flight to visit his girlfriend. He claims the cash he’d sent himself through MoneyGram was unable to redeemed when he arrived in Thailand. He was told somebody else had already withdrawn the cash.
Believable.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:oops: RIP ,fellow human
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Would not be the first time, the screws beat a dutchman to death in that Immigration hole some years back
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Whenever I read news of overstayers I will wonder why people choose to break the law and over stay. This is so strange to me. Why don't foreigner do the proper thing to extend the visa instead of breaking the law? Why people choose to break the law and finally face the consequences fathoms me.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

yong wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:43 pm Whenever I read news of overstayers I will wonder why people choose to break the law and over stay. This is so strange to me. Why don't foreigner do the proper thing to extend the visa instead of breaking the law? Why people choose to break the law and finally face the consequences fathoms me.
This man was stupid, some have gone through hell for overstay as were in hospital so could not extend
The 'crime' does not warrant death however stupid
We both broke thai LM/112 law even reading the Vaj and Goi article , law is an ass...
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

yong wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:43 pm Whenever I read news of overstayers I will wonder why people choose to break the law and over stay. This is so strange to me. Why don't foreigner do the proper thing to extend the visa instead of breaking the law? Why people choose to break the law and finally face the consequences fathoms me.
I worked in a prison part of my career and protecting vulnerable inmates from other inmates was an important job function and expectation. Even if the Iranians killed him, the Thais should have intervened.
Yea, he did wrong but did not deserve to die for it.
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 am Image
PHOTO: mirror.co.uk

By The Thaiger
November 23, 2019

Imprisoned for overstaying his visa,

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... n-his-arms
Don't go to prison in Thailand.
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

adders28 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 pm
This man was stupid, some have gone through hell for overstay as were in hospital so could not extend
The 'crime' does not warrant death however stupid
We both broke thai LM/112 law even reading the Vaj and Goi article , law is an ass...
Most hospitals will assist westerners with immigration and extensions if they are admitted to the hospital

Main reasons i see for over stayers from reading forums for awhile

1. Misread the dates that the visa was valid for
2. Waiting for paperwork, so could apply for the correct visa
.....Both of the above would not be long overstays and easily fixed by paying the fine which is topped out at ONLY 20,000 baht

3. ran out of money

once ur over stayed for 6 months +, its hard to admit to yourself .... you fucked up...

I agree the brit was an idiot. Even if his money was stolen....no biggie, get more...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic