Is this a common for cambodia officer to get briber?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Is this a common for cambodia officer to get briber?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Interesting study, but the authors use ‘democracy’ as a made up word for a system of checks and balances and their study is used to ‘resolve’ differences found in other studies. Authors also create made up variables and other statistics. So to come to the conclusion that a bigger democratic government is less corrupt than a smaller one.

Then the world’s biggest democracy, aka India, should be the least corrupt of all. Or better yet, a people’s democracy where almost everyone is a part of the government.

When I pay taxes the money goes into a black hole. Hopefully there is some benefit at the end.

When I donate to a charity, if the charity doesn’t do what is says it will do, they don’t get any more.

I get the freedom to decide, not a government bureaucrat.

Granted it’s my opinion and will never change others that believe that an ever expanding, controlling government is a good thing.

Back to Cambodian bribery. According to the paper the solution is full democracy, which will never be allowed to happen in the KOW.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Using 'extra payments' to get things done by officials are more common around the world than most people would like to think, It's prevalent in all developing countries. Cambodia's neighbors, Thailand and Vietnam also have an issue with this sort of thing. I say 'have an issue' in the loosest sense. For those who are used to this type of system, it's not really seen as an issue. It's just the way things are done. If you don't want to be bribed by an LEA official, don't break he law. If you need the services of the LEA, you will pay for it, no different to paying someone to come round and fix your plumbing.

Even developed countries suffer from this, although of course, it's much better hidden. You can't tell me that brown envelopes don't get passed around left right and center when an individual or business needs to bypass some annoying piece of legislation that's stopping the from doing whatever they need to do.

Corruption takes many forms and exists everywhere.
Last edited by xandreu on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am Interesting study, but the authors use ‘democracy’ as a made up word for a system of checks and balances and their study is used to ‘resolve’ differences found in other studies. Authors also create made up variables and other statistics. So to come to the conclusion that a bigger democratic government is less corrupt than a smaller one.

Then the world’s biggest democracy, aka India, should be the least corrupt of all. Or better yet, a people’s democracy where almost everyone is a part of the government.

When I pay taxes the money goes into a black hole. Hopefully there is some benefit at the end.

When I donate to a charity, if the charity doesn’t do what is says it will do, they don’t get any more.

I get the freedom to decide, not a government bureaucrat.

Granted it’s my opinion and will never change others that believe that an ever expanding, controlling government is a good thing.

Back to Cambodian bribery. According to the paper the solution is full democracy, which will never be allowed to happen in the KOW.
I don 't believe that the bigger the democratic country the more democratic it is and I am sure you do not either. Canada with only 36 million is certainly more of a democracy than India with it's 1.4 billion inhabitants. You know and I know they are referring to the quality of democracy.
The worlds least corrupt countries in order as per the Corruption Perceptions Index
Denmark
New Zealand
Finland
Sweden
Switzerland
Singapore
Norway
Netherlands
Canada
Luxembourg
Germany

The EIU’s Democracy Index measures the state of democracy by rating electoral processes and pluralism, the state of civil liberties, the functioning of government, political participation and political culture in more than 160 countries worldwide.

Certainly you must be able to see a correlation, it is not just coincidence.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

explorer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:27 am
Multipox wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:02 pm Can we work up some sort of price list?
No. They are officially not supposed to be taking bribes, and officially not taking bribes. So there is no set price. ....
I'll bet there are pretty firm prices.
the locals will know.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I reckon it is a bit like black magic.
You just pretend it is not there, and then it will not affect you.

I have had heaps of slavering expecting tongues hanging out in my direction when trying to get things done.
But have usually not needed to pay - simply by bunging on the naive idiot act and brushing it all aside.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

explorer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 am If you ride a motorbike and wear a GoPro, or helmet camera, the police will leave you alone. They don't like being filmed.
yep. Got stopped at a road tax check outside snooky and they would not talk to me till i took the cam off. I left it pointing at them though and got waved on
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned up a few posts. On topic please or it gets locked..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've been overcharged for a few documents over the years but never been bothered about it so much. Of course if you are involved in bigger business/ land deals it can get tricky.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Here is my experience, sorry it is a bit long...

I needed to register and the Sankat to open a bank account. The bank sent along a young man to first inspect my apartment to be sure I lived where my lease said I did, and then took me to the Sangkat office. I had no real idea what it was I was doing or needed, except a passport photo of myself.

Anyway, we were told the process would take about 2 weeks for a small fee of about $3, but it could be done that day if I would pay a little money. How much I enquired. A little further burst of conversation ensued between bank rep and man on desk #1... "$15", in 3 x $5 notes, and we come back after lunch. I'm up for that, I thought...

After lunch I went back with the bank guy and my 3 x $5 notes and gave them to him. Then the really bizarre thing happened. The bank guy picked up 3 pre-cut pieces of plain paper from the top of Desk #1 and wrapped each one around a single $5 note into a makeshift envelope. He then handed all 3 of these 'envelopes' to the man at desk #1. He then took a peek at all 3 of them and placed one in his top draw, stamped my photo on the form and then passed all the paperwork to the desk #2 behind him with the two remaining envelopes.

Desk #2 was occupied by a women who took one of the 'envelopes', placed it in her handbag while simultaneously removed her rubber stamp from the handbag. She applied her stamp on my form, signed it and then repeated the passing backwards process of the papers and the last of the 'envelopes' to a big guy on the last desk in the room. The final rubber stamp and signature was applied, the final envelope was secreted away and then the form was passed forwards.

Hey Presto, all done. Off to the bank we go, copies are made and I keep the original.

After the amazement came the amusement. I am assuming the reason for the envelopes is to stop anyone seeing cash (laughable).
The purpose of three stamps and signatures is so everyone gets a bite of the apple (brilliant)

For $15 I was more than happy to get it done quickly with no hassle. I even gave the bank guy $5 for his fixing skills which seemed to surprise and please him in equal measure.

It's my only dealing with Cambodian officialdom and I have to say it worked much better than trying to get anything official from a UK local government office and they would charge plenty for any service and take forever to get it done.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

sooooo, yes then.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic