'Tis the season... or not.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: 'Tis the season... or not.

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote:why do people even celebrate xmas ?
I've wondered this myself. If you need to make a point if taking Christ out of Christmas I'm not sure what it's about, other than commercialization. Time with family is a good reason too, I guess, but makes it hard on those without beliefs or family.
Yobbo wrote:Stroppy you do look a little like Santa!
Anyway hope it is a Merry xmas to all.
I've been known to pull on the suit, although no man in his right mind would do Santa duties in the west any more. Merry Christmas Yobbo.
phuketrichard wrote:Xmas is not the merry time it was in the past
I hear you, brother.
Sailorman wrote:Good on you for the offer of a kind ear. If there is a heaven, you should get a free pass.
Thanks man, don't feel worthy of that but (theologically) I don't need to be.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

It is over forty years since I last celebrated Christmas in any form. For much of my working life I never had more than the day itself off, and as Boxing day was one of the busiest I faced each year, that single day was for rest and relaxation. By the time that circumstances changed I found it was impossible to raise any enthusiasm for what now appeared to be a festival of over indulgence and greed.
However I hope that all of you who still enjoy this time of year will indeed have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Meanwhile I'll be getting on with the rice harvest. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

StroppyChops wrote:
UKJ wrote:
Sailorman wrote:Good on you for the offer of a kind ear. If there is a heaven, you should get a free pass.
Agreed. Sounds like SC has enough negativity to deal with, yet still offers to help. :thumb:
I have a couple of friends with issues just now, and at times I don't answer the phone as it's a chore to listen to them. I think my patience is taken up dealing with a relative with some sort of alzheimers, which I find exhausting, and guilty about finding it exhausting. I should maybe point out I take the friends elderly, and difficult mother to her husbands home, shopping and out for dinner, as well as sitting with my own relative. So I don't sound a total bastard!
You sound like someone with finite resources (time, stamina) and competing demands but enough empathy to still give a damn. Should be more like you. Happy Christmas, UKJ.
Thanks for the kind words :thumb: Yes, time, stamina and wanting to start my Asian adventure are the issues. Duty and obligations v fun/ travel/ adventure. I guess there is no right answer.
Merry Xmas to you, Mrs Stroppy and your families. And may the new year be healthy, happy and prosperous. :beer3:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I celebrate 'Sol Invictus' the pagan holiday associated with the Winter Solstice, since quite certainly Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25. Estimations of the true date vary as do the reasons for the 25th being picked. I find the debate interesting. There's a good outline of the subject here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/holi ... ember.html I'll still celebrate, but w/no little kids around, the day loses it's luster for me. Happy Sol Invictus everybody.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Also not born in 0AD, WJ. Good post, and Happy Christmas.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I hope you will enjoy this image- thought provoking. the cross is also represented by the soltices and equinoxes- lot of metaphor referencing the stars in Scripture- it is greatly veiled from the general public in symbolism and allegory- but it is very precisely named for those who read history and understand context.

resonating with the next cruciform point on the calender easter/equinox the whole story is poignant for all those who live in higher latitudes.

for some even more startling stuff google psychedelic santa claus.

prepare to be shocked!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3136.html
Last edited by frank lee bent on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

im wondering, if these xmas-refuseniks are just very bitter?

its such a beautiful occasion to celebrate something. in winter, when its dark, with all that lights and candles and cookies and smells... the green and bling Christmas tree, the beautiful wrapping papers and what not... ahahaha...

from the day I didn't have to stay at home with relatives, I love it even much more... lol.. one of the best things in life...
just get rid of the ppl...
:beer1:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

nice with family and especially the bright little kids full of excitement.

maybe people get depressed when they didnt have this as kids or are missing it now as grandparents.

every year my family does less feasting and more playing with the kids.

the whole commercial thing is on the nose.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

StroppyChops wrote: Here's a genuine offer.
If you're in Phnom Penh, you get depressed at Christmas (or any other time), and you ever want someone to take the time to sit and hear your story, or just fill the barstool beside you and sink a few, without judgement, criticism or bible-bashing - message me.
A couple of topical links:
http://www.webmd.com/depression/feature ... r-holidays
http://www.wingofmadness.com/depression ... val-guide/
Same day as we posted, xmas eve, unfortunately, 87 year old Patrick Maguire died. We missed being with him by 10 minutes, but thankfully a nurse was with him when he passed. A long life for sure, but his wife and daughter are no less devastated.

Anyway. Your offer sounds even more kind and relevant now. Kudos to you and Mrs Stroppy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic