Why Phnom Penh is Southeast Asia’s new capital of cool

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Why Phnom Penh is Southeast Asia’s new capital of cool

Post by Queef »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 am
Queef wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:16 am Why would a global corporation open a branch in Phnom Penh when they can open a branch in say, Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh, and generate in year what they would generate in three years in Cambodia?
Perhaps more to do with the FCPA. The senior execs don't fancy being room mates with Bernie Madoff.
From wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_C ... ctices_Act
Regarding payments to foreign officials, the act draws a distinction between bribery and facilitation or "grease payments", which may be permissible under the FCPA, but may still violate local laws. The primary distinction is that grease payments or facilitation payments are made to an official to expedite his performance of the routine duties he is already bound to perform. The exception focuses on the purpose of the payment rather than on its value. Payments to foreign officials may be legal under the FCPA if the payments are permitted under the written laws of the host country. Certain payments or reimbursements relating to product promotion may also be permitted under the FCPA.

Ironically, therefore, their problem is made worse by strict local anti-corruption laws.
For me, I like that Cambodia has so few global brands.
Well, US companies aren't the only companies with a global reach... But you're right, pieces of legislation like the FCPA are definitely deterring companies from doing business in Cambodia. However, corruption in Vietnam and Thailand is far from being non-existent. Yet, companies are rushing into those two countries. Another example: China. Corruption is rampant yet most western companies, with global aspirations and wanting to increase their profit margins, moved there in a heartbeat a few decades ago.

I tried to encourage a company to open an office in Phnom Penh. They smirked and asked me why they would commit commercial suicide. They explained that one project in Vietnam or Indonesia equals a dozen of projects in Cambodia. It's not worth the effort.

Cambodia has actually more global brands that we may think. Companies just don't have branches here. Just distributors.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 am I honestly like going to the small mom and pop businesses here and supporting the locals because of the camaraderie of being personal. It reminds me of my country when I was small, 40 years ago and previous to that. Like my mother going to the butcher shop and knowing the butcher and the like. It's all gotten too impersonal in the west in my country anyhow. Walmart and other huge businesses are impersonal, nobody really gives a shit about their customers in corporate America.
Yes and no. There's a very good documentary called "Walmart: the high cost of low prices" that describes exactly what you're talking about.

On the other hand, people are steering away from the traditional definition of corporate America and are looking for commercial transactions that include more human interactions. In California for example, farmers markets are now almost everywhere and offer a wider range of products compared to 10 years ago. Companies like Trader Joe's are putting an emphasis on customer service and encourage their workers to create some kind of intimate relationship with the customers.

During my college years, we used to go the same 7/11 and CVS to buy alcohol (huge corporations). We ended up befriending the cashiers and we had CVS workers bringing alcohol (free of charge) to some of our kickbacks.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 am My family visit me in Cambodia on occasions and I tend to keep them away from Phnom Penh. It still has a few major issues to deal with before you can associate adjectives such as cool, modern, cosmopolitan etc...

The three major issues are:

The disregard for throwing rubbish into the street (an organised system of public litter bins which are emptied regularly would help a lot)

Better enforcement of traffic rules (more lines pained on the road showing things like who has to give way to who and better road signs would help a lot)

Making it easier and worthwhile for international retail chains to do business here. One of the main comments my family makes is that there doesn't seem to be any familiar shop brands here. There are some modern malls with familiar brands, but a lot of the retail here is done by small, independent store owners. Personally that doesn't bother me, but many tourists do expect some sort of familiarity when visiting capital cities.

Things are certainly improving though.
I would add:

Clearing the side walks so people don't have to walk on the road amongst the traffic.

Having more good restaurants, where freshness and hygiene is up to a standard international travellers would like.

I don't think it is important for international chains to own retail stores, but it would be good if certain things were brought in, even if locals own the stores.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm I don't think it is important for international chains to own retail stores, but it would be good if certain things were brought in, even if locals own the stores.
Even if.... ?? As a last resort if no other foreign nationals want to as the locals will probably Fock it up and even if they get it mostly right it still won’t be good enough eh?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm I don't think it is important for international chains to own retail stores, but it would be good if certain things were brought in, even if locals own the stores.
Even if.... ?? As a last resort if no other foreign nationals want to as the locals will probably Fock it up and even if they get it mostly right it still won’t be good enough eh?
There are some things foreigners want, but the locals don't know. As the years go by, and more is brought into Cambodia, things should improve.

There will be more Chinese shops in the future too, adding to the variety.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 am I honestly like going to the small mom and pop businesses here and supporting the locals because of the camaraderie of being personal. It reminds me of my country when I was small, 40 years ago and previous to that. Like my mother going to the butcher shop and knowing the butcher and the like. It's all gotten too impersonal in the west in my country anyhow. Walmart and other huge businesses are impersonal, nobody really gives a shit about their customers in corporate America.
I agree and so do a lot of people but I think the article was talking about Phnom Penh being a 'cool' tourist destination.

People who come here generally fall into two categories. You have the backpacker/adventure seeker/ expats looking for somewhere different types, and you have the common or garden holiday tourist.

Most people who travel fall into the latter, and for most of those who are choosing which countries to holiday in, the shopping opportunities are often very high on thier list of priorities.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Queef wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 am
Well, US companies aren't the only companies with a global reach...
you are most certainly right. I figured most are intelligent enough to realize that I can only speak with experience from my perspective living in the US, "my country". I don't know how other large companies are in other countries. I do not know everything and I absolutely will admit what I do not know.
Still here, in country...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 am My family visit me in Cambodia on occasions and I tend to keep them away from Phnom Penh. It still has a few major issues to deal with before you can associate adjectives such as cool, modern, cosmopolitan etc...

The three major issues are:

The disregard for throwing rubbish into the street (an organised system of public litter bins which are emptied regularly would help a lot)

Better enforcement of traffic rules (more lines pained on the road showing things like who has to give way to who and better road signs would help a lot)

Making it easier and worthwhile for international retail chains to do business here. One of the main comments my family makes is that there doesn't seem to be any familiar shop brands here. There are some modern malls with familiar brands, but a lot of the retail here is done by small, independent store owners. Personally that doesn't bother me, but many tourists do expect some sort of familiarity when visiting capital cities.

Things are certainly improving though.
I would add:

Clearing the side walks so people don't have to walk on the road amongst the traffic.

Having more good restaurants, where freshness and hygiene is up to a standard international travellers would like.

I don't think it is important for international chains to own retail stores, but it would be good if certain things were brought in, even if locals own the stores.

I find it real cool that one needs gumboots to walk through the Kandel market where hygiene is non-exsistant, flys on the meat and fish then on vegetables, with no running water to wash hands,,,,, then it's sold and moved one street over to riverside and prepared as a nice attractive meal for a tourist that has never seen where it came from.

Man,, That's capital of cool.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

That's another one. Walking through water and mud, when it would be so easy to build the place so there is no water and mud. This applies to many markets in Cambodia.

There are new buildings built in Cambodia where, when it rains water runs in under the door. What is the solution? Mop up the water. They don't know you can make the floor outside the door lower than the floor inside. Men make mistakes, but fools continue to make mistakes.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

To be succinct..

I was born too late to explore this world

I was born too early to explore other worlds.

Tourism... mehhh who wants to be with begpackers backpackers twatpackers or even normal tourists - might as well stay home - no real adventure there is there?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic