Blessings from the Ancestors

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Blessings from the Ancestors

Post by newkidontheblock »

Since I missed going back to the village on Pchum Ben, the family arranged a ceremony to receive blessing from the Ancestors for good luck. Described as a small family affair.

But when a foreigner is involved, small gets thrown out.

Got thrown right into it just after arriving at the village. Told to hurry up and change.

Such a small intimate ceremony that required village security.

A ear killing (100+ decibel output) Khmer sound system for the party at night.

And 12 tables for all the guests.

Along with mass food production to feed all the guests.

And fortunately a small table set up for guests to donate to help recoup some of the costs.

The guests were generous. Their donations paid about 35-35% of the total costs.

The main focus of the blessing was the chanting by the Buddhist monks.

And the faithful.

Not one temple of monks, but three temple of monks were required for the prayers to reach the ancestors. Plus the head monk, a famous (expensive) local celebrity.

Chanting stopped at night, for another day’s chanting the next morning.

Was suddenly told by missus to get dressed up and leave the bunker. Turns out, I walked into a surprise anniversary party. All arranged by missus.

I got a bouquet of flowers, and she got a fancy formal necklace.

Then dancing with brain skull pounding music commenced.

The next day, the monks and faithful arrived for chanting around 4:30 AM and continued for the next 2 hours before stopping for breakfast.

After breakfast came the ghostly blessing by the monks. They hold a white sheet on end, and the family get covered by the power of the spirits.

Finally came the offering of rice to the monks.

After all the other offerings throughout the ceremony.

ImageImage

We thanked each guest for their donation of rice to the monks by giving them a krama and 5000 Riel.

Me, afterwards.

(Images of tired little girl sleeping on the monk prayer stage. Sorry I hit my limit of photo uploads for the month)

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Blessings from the Ancestors

Post by John Bingham »

What's the point? The gates of hell closed nearly two months ago. :evil:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Blessings from the Ancestors

Post by Clutch Cargo »