Prince Andrew's painful Newsnight interview

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Prince Andrew's painful Newsnight interview

Post by violet »

Spigzy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:41 am
IraHayes wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:04 am What else can explain the reason so many old, rich dudes with nothing going for them (except the aforementioned wealth & privilege) are able to bed, date or marry stunningly shallow women.
FTFY :beer3:
While some certainly are shallow (as are the men who want something stunning in their arm and penis regardless of whether anything in common or even much shared language), some are wanting security no matter what the cost
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

U.S. Judge Denies Prince Andrew’s Bid to Dismiss Virginia Giuffre Lawsuit: Will Go to Trial
Prince Andrew had his bid to get a civil case which alleges he sexually assaulted Virginia Giuffre dismissed by a U.S. judge on Wednesday.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:10 pm U.S. Judge Denies Prince Andrew’s Bid to Dismiss Virginia Giuffre Lawsuit: Will Go to Trial
Prince Andrew had his bid to get a civil case which alleges he sexually assaulted Virginia Giuffre dismissed by a U.S. judge on Wednesday.
Virginia Giuffre has previously made it clear that she will refuse any settlement, she wants a trial and accountability. She may not settle for anything less than an eye watering sum with no gagging clause either.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Only an unlikely court victory will save Prince Andrew from total shame

London: On the face of it, Judge Lewis Kaplan’s refusal to dismiss Virginia Roberts Giuffre’s civil sex assault case against Prince Andrew appears to be a catastrophic blow.

Effectively cut loose from the monarchy, the Queen’s son now potentially faces the ignominy of a warts-and-all trial that would make his car-crash Newsnight interview feel like a Q&A on a mother’s forum.

It is not just that Andrew’s somewhat bizarre claims about being unable to sweat and spending the night at Pizza Express in Woking, England, rather than at the Tramp nightclub in Mayfair with his alleged victim, will be placed under intense scrutiny.

The discovery process, when both he and Giuffre will be questioned by the other’s lawyers under oath, before the world’s media, is likely to cause embarrassment not only to the 61-year-old royal father-of-two, but his family.

There has already been talk of his ex-wife Sarah, Duchess of York, being called to give evidence along with their eldest daughter Princess Beatrice, to corroborate his Pizza Express alibi. It is not yet known whether Andrew will have to be “deposed”, or questioned, in person in New York – or via video-link.

Be it in person or remote, the first court appearance by a member of the royal family since Princess Anne pleaded guilty to a charge under the dangerous dogs act at Slough County Court in 2002 will mark an extraordinary chapter in a damaging saga that has dragged on for more than a decade.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 59nwo.html
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 am
IraHayes wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:10 pm U.S. Judge Denies Prince Andrew’s Bid to Dismiss Virginia Giuffre Lawsuit: Will Go to Trial
Virginia Giuffre has previously made it clear that she will refuse any settlement, she wants a trial and accountability. She may not settle for anything less than an eye watering sum with no gagging clause either.
If she said that, she's being unrealistic. The system in the USA and the UK has well established ways to promote out of court settlement. Litigants can ignore them but it costs them dearly. That's why all the phone hacking victims had to settle even though they were determined to have their day in court.

Meanwhile Andrew can try to appeal this latest decision and that would delay the trial timetable.

Any reasonable defendant would settle at this point however, especially when they will get help with paying. Reports are that Brenda will help him out.

His main reason not to settle would be that it encourages other women to make claims but, assuming he stopped playing a long while ago, that can't happen because the window that VG used is now closed.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm going to stick my neck on the line and be a bit controversial here.

As distasteful as I find a 'dirty old man' like Prince Andrew sleeping with a 17year old girl, she was hardly a 'child' in the normal sense of the word. She may have just - just - qualified as a child in the eyes of the law, but I don't know any 17 year old girls that don't know what they're doing and I'll even go so far as to say that I think the idea of sleeping with a Royal British Prince was seen more as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity rather than a forced act.

I know that Epstein and Maxwell were involved with trafficking much younger girls, which is clearly very different and I'm not talking about that. I'm talking specifically about the Prince Andrew and Virginia Roberts case.

While I don't condone what he did, and if he'd taken advantage of a 17year old daughter of mine, especially using his status, I'd definitely go straight to the papers and try to get the police involved. But considering the legal age of consent in the UK is 16, the police wouldn't (and couldn't) do anything - so long as it was not forced.

I don't for one minute believe Roberts has been scarred for life in any way whatsoever. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't detailed anything about being 'forced' to do anything against her will, unless I've missed something. If she really was being dragged around the world, being forced to have sex with men against her will, and being somehow unable to escape, clearly that's a very different story, but that's not how it's coming across.

To me, all I see is a girl who had the opportunity to have sex with (at the time) the second /third (?) in line to the British throne, who has now grown up, realised she was only 17 at the time and realised the monetary value in her story, and is now taking full advantage of it.

As I said, I don't condone what he did, I'm not defending his actions, and I certainly no fan of his, but I do get the feeling this is blown out of all proportion just because of who he is, especially with people implying that having sex with a 17 year old makes you a sex predator not far off from a full blown paedophile.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Spigzy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:41 am
IraHayes wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:04 am What else can explain the reason so many old, rich dudes with nothing going for them (except the aforementioned wealth & privilege) are able to bed, date or marry stunningly shallow women.
FTFY :beer3:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Was the Prince ever 'offered' other young girls I wonder? After all, he seemed to spend a lot of time at that NY terrace house together with trips to 'Pedo island'. Or maybe the victims haven't come forward...yet.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

xandreu wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:36 pm I'm going to stick my neck on the line and be a bit controversial here.
Xandreu. Don’t feel alone, as I was about to write something similar.

The photos don’t show an utterly immature child, they show a teenage girl exploring her own desires, fantasies etc. (by fantasies, I don’t mean the SM or anything similar)

People are quick to trot out pedo and other insinuations, but fail to keep in mind that the age of consent is far from consistent across the world. What is legal in one country could easily be illegal just a few meters away across a border. So, legal issues aside, a fair amount of the outrage expressed is more about what people hold as personally morally acceptable. Add in the Prince tag, and it’s all over the papers. If it were about a plumber from Bolton, or Concorde Mass. on some mediterranean summer blast, nobody would be reading it. It would be unlikely to even get printed.

Given the amount of press coverage that this has gained, I find it distasteful how little concern there was in comparison for a US military wife who killed a Brit in what would otherwise have been a tragic accident.

Or that both governments either side of the atlantic can so easily turn a blind eye to the attitudes displayed by customers in the Middle East, and other ‘friendly areas’

Yes, he should probably settle.
No, it should never have got to this stage.
Yes, he’s probably a bit of a perv.
No, he’s unlikely to be in a club running to single digits membership worldwide.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:50 pm
xandreu wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:36 pm I'm going to stick my neck on the line and be a bit controversial here.
Xandreu. Don’t feel alone, as I was about to write something similar.

The photos don’t show an utterly immature child, they show a teenage girl exploring her own desires, fantasies etc. (by fantasies, I don’t mean the SM or anything similar.
Did anyone else read "fantasies" and think SM?

Is there something you want to share FD :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic