Wonderful Pictures Of South Wales During The 1970s

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Wonderful Pictures Of South Wales During The 1970s

Post by Mishmash »

I found these a good reminder of how the UK was - back when I was a boy.

It was not easy, so when I see the new Cambodia with its Borey Developments I am hopeful.

My parents could not afford me a Chopper Bike when they were all the rage.

We did not have a bathroom and the shitter was outside, no joke in winter.

https://designyoutrust.com/2019/10/wond ... tographer/

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Wonderful Pictures Of South Wales During The 1970s

Post by John Bingham »

I remember driving through South Wales in the early 80s, it was horrible. Polluted as hell with slagheaps everywhere.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Polluted as hell with slagheaps everywhere.
Well, I don't think Welsh women ever had a reputation for being slim and sexy....
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Being of Welsh decent and having visited Wales in the seventies, these images remind me of that time - particularly the Silver Jubilee pics as we spent a couple of months in country during 1977.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I attended university in Scotland from the mid-seventies until 1979. Cold, damp and tweed overcoats with a flat cap are what still sticks out in my head. That and not taking a girl into the bar but having to go into the lounge instead. Strikes, Angela Rippon on tv and a Rangers vs Celtic match standing on the terraces. It all feels like a hundred years ago now
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Mishmash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm I found these a good reminder of how the UK was - back when I was a boy.

It was not easy, so when I see the new Cambodia with its Borey Developments I am hopeful.

My mother came from the Valleys of South Wales, but at fourteen she was alone and working full time in Cardiff. Yes! life could be hard for many, and a few years just before the time you are quoting my farther had passed away and a few hard years were to come our way. being in Yorkshire there was work on the farms, potato picking for ten hours per day for just over a quid, no joke or easy task for a scrawny seven year old. No Khmer would believe the stories of westerners having any hardship.
But, Mishmash I managed to work and buy that Chopper Bike.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:20 pm I attended university in Scotland from the mid-seventies until 1979. Cold, damp and tweed overcoats with a flat cap are what still sticks out in my head. That and not taking a girl into the bar but having to go into the lounge instead. Strikes, Angela Rippon on tv and a Rangers vs Celtic match standing on the terraces. It all feels like a hundred years ago now
Ah, nostalgia; it isn’t what it used to be...

So. South Wales in the 70s, pollution, heaps of slag(s). And up in the north of the island*, they spent time burning people’s cottages, and other diplomatic efforts.

*we can hope**
**dig a ‘kin big trench from the Severn to somewhere near liverpool, and then let it all float off into the Atlantic and either sink, or attach itself to Newfoundland. Whichever happens first.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:56 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:20 pm I attended university in Scotland from the mid-seventies until 1979. Cold, damp and tweed overcoats with a flat cap are what still sticks out in my head. That and not taking a girl into the bar but having to go into the lounge instead. Strikes, Angela Rippon on tv and a Rangers vs Celtic match standing on the terraces. It all feels like a hundred years ago now
Ah, nostalgia; it isn’t what it used to be...

So. South Wales in the 70s, pollution, heaps of slag(s). And up in the north of the island*, they spent time burning people’s cottages, and other diplomatic efforts.

*we can hope**
**dig a ‘kin big trench from the Severn to somewhere near liverpool, and then let it all float off into the Atlantic and either sink, or attach itself to Newfoundland. Whichever happens first.
Trips to Belfast when no one went there for holidays, haha. Donegal was magic, Dublin was not a rich man's city, bars with dividers every 4 ft and tables with another table at a standing height above them. Guinness and then more Guinness, Garda in big blue overcoats and a girlfriend from Bangor, co. Down who wouldn t tell you what school she attended unless she knew you and then you already knew. ( Victoria College, Belfast)

Even in Scotland the colour of your socks, green or blue was as important as the school scarf or tie one wore. Greengrocers, canned good store and late-night shopping Wednesdays. 10p coins to get the gas in the fireplace going and 35p pints at the student union. It was a different world for a kid from NYC. I enjoyed my time there but I think part of it was I knew it was only for the four years.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mishmash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm I found these a good reminder of how the UK was - back when I was a boy.

back when I was a boy.

That's the bit that I find hard to believe . :stir:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

What we need now is a deviant welshman to wax lyrical about Rhonda and her famous valley(s), and you’ll have all the mongers gawping in bemusement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic