Grab App

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Grab App

Post by Mishmash »

Many people seem to like the discounts and cheaper cheaper options.

Personally, I think the rides are affordable as they are.

I feel sorry for the tuk-tuk drivers trying to make a living, hence my tips are fairly generous.

Tuk-tuks are an integral strand of Cambodian life and most people's introduction here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm Grab's promotions are getting fewer and farther apart. Support PassApp instead and help promote competition.

And on both you can use the map to select your destination, it's often easier and better than typing in an address.
In Thailand grab is the only one, and the prices are very different.... So you're so right....
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

I use Grab for the aforementioned reason of ease of linking my card so no money has to exchange hands and there's no hassle with having exact change. Plus, you can use Grab in Thailand, as well, if you're traveling around.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Mishmash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:06 pm Many people seem to like the discounts and cheaper cheaper options.

I feel sorry for the tuk-tuk drivers trying to make a living, hence my tips are fairly generous.

Tuk-tuks are an integral strand of Cambodian life and most people's introduction here.
There were no tuk tuks when I arrived here, only motodops. I still use PassApp tuk tuks sometimes. I don't like taking freelance ones anymore, they are often difficult, agree prices then complain it's too far etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:01 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm Grab's promotions are getting fewer and farther apart. Support PassApp instead and help promote competition.

And on both you can use the map to select your destination, it's often easier and better than typing in an address.
In Thailand grab is the only one, and the prices are very different.... So you're so right....
"grab"
so descriptive

monstra mihi bona!
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:22 pm
Mishmash wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:06 pm Many people seem to like the discounts and cheaper cheaper options.

There were no tuk tuks when I arrived here, only motodops. I still use PassApp tuk tuks sometimes. I don't like taking freelance ones anymore, they are often difficult, agree prices then complain it's too far etc.
Surely the cyclos were big back then JB? Before my time but I recall in city of ghosts and old pics I've seem they were also once popular in the early 2000s?

An enjoyable ride if slightly inefficient
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:22 pm
Yeah you're an old timer JB.. Can you remember when they first started? Were they the same design as now?

Agreed don't take the freelance, except if it's a day rate.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not really, I've only lived here 14 years but was here briefly 20 years ago. Sure there were plenty more cyclos around then but I've only ever been on one twice. There were remorques with long plank seats like you still see in the countryside.
I think Tuk Tuks only started here in a big way maybe 2005?
Someone else who was around then would know better.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Any difference in service level between these apps?

I used Exnet in the past. I don't care about pricing just want the best service, sounds like Grab?
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

thanks for all the info

afterwards it dawned on me that I turn off my roaming and only survive from Wi-Fi spot to Wi-Fi
part reason is my bloody phone would be ringing with work all the time

I guess the app would still operate if booked from a wifi area, dont have to use it to track your route along the way...

I used Grab in the Philippines recently or tried to twice but ended up in a taxi instead, both times the taxi fare was cheaper than the Grab price
Even the ugly ones
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic