What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Post by explorer »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 am Explorer - I do read your posts and take them seriously.

They have often caused me to reflect on my own character and changed my viewpoints.

If all people were the same and followed the herd we would not have progress and we would still be in the trees having a very hard existence.

It was the people who dared to think differently that caused the greatest advances in relieving human suffering to a certain extent.
So do you agree, this forum would be a much better place if the personal attacks and insults stopped?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 am Explorer - I do read your posts and take them seriously.

They have often caused me to reflect on my own character and changed my viewpoints.

If all people were the same and followed the herd we would not have progress and we would still be in the trees having a very hard existence.

It was the people who dared to think differently that caused the greatest advances in relieving human suffering to a certain extent.
So do you agree, this forum would be a much better place if the personal attacks and insults stopped?
Well, then it would be an information website and not a forum.

If you look at the UK parliament which is a good representation of a functioning democratic process at work, I think you would find that jibes and personal attacks were rife.

Watch the PM's question time for good examples.

It pays to have a sense of humor and laugh at oneself.

The line they draw is at slanderous or 'untrue' remarks.

What is your opinion?

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 am Mods -

Can there be a section created just for those members who wish to insult, abuse each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Make it like darknet, invitation only. Invite all those unique members to a special place where they can duke it out, be as mean to each other as they want, etc. they can grind their axes and leave the rest of us out of it.

That way CEO can be more welcoming to others and grow.
I think we have some people who feel inferior in real life, and try to compensate for it by acting important on this forum. They think that putting others down makes them superior, when in reality, it just displays how stupid they are.

This brain in the gutter mentality drives good people away, so the forum is trapped in a state of brain in the gutter conversations.

If we could get away from this, more decent people would join, and the information shared would be more beneficial to readers.
I think you’re exaggerating a bit, this forum is a great source for info about Cambodia, even for long termers.

But every forum has a few knights in shiny armor looking down at the peasants from their high horse, and apparently it’s not a pretty sight.

Change the world, start with yourself. Some great advise was given about pot and kettle on the first page.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 pm If you look at the UK parliament which is a good representation of a functioning democratic process at work, I think you would find that jibes and personal attacks were rife.

What is your opinion?
Until a few decades ago, politicians used to work together for the best outcome. But now it seems the opposition has to oppose everything. They sometimes behave worse than kindergarten children. The media makes it almost impossible. They want something sensational, instead of intelligent discussion. That is why Trump puts out his own tweets, not that he is a good example.

I believe, many intelligent people do not join in this forum, because of the constant personal attacks and insults. If they joined, the discussion would improve. But we are stuck with a group of people who will constantly drive others away.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 pm If you look at the UK parliament which is a good representation of a functioning democratic process at work, I think you would find that jibes and personal attacks were rife.

What is your opinion?
Until a few decades ago, politicians used to work together for the best outcome. But now it seems the opposition has to oppose everything. They sometimes behave worse than kindergarten children. The media makes it almost impossible. They want something sensational, instead of intelligent discussion. That is why Trump puts out his own tweets, not that he is a good example.

I believe, many intelligent people do not join in this forum, because of the constant personal attacks and insults. If they joined, the discussion would improve. But we are stuck with a group of people who will constantly drive others away.
I see your point. I didn't join for years precisely because of that. It is a heap better now IMO.

Of course I get attacked myself even now, but I do respect the people who do that as it may well be that I am wrong or being stupid or just cuntish. I don't ask them to be banned, as it's part and parcel of life.

Intelligent people will realize that and can hold their own.

Or are you saying that intelligent people are not tough enough to take it on the chin and laugh it off or present the facts as they see them?

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but calling me names never hurt me.

Here is Farage - dishing it out - sure the people he attacks get it personally - but they are powerful people (intelligent is questionable :lol: but in reality they are) who hold the destiny of millions in their debates.

"you have the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk and the question we all want to ask is who are you????" :lol:

Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

You insult others in your opening diatribe. Yesterday or the day before you claimed other posters had small brains. You lie about what you have posted and demand to get the last word in while complaining others only need to win. And now claim you are "stuck" with a group of people you don t like. Is there someone with a gun held to your head forcing you to post or is it voluntary? Did you remove all the mirrors from your home incase you do not agree with the view they reflect? I Don t expect a response as you rarely show the courage for self awareness. Carry on mate, whinge away.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 pm

What is your opinion?

That can't be right or you would not have joined this forum. And yes, I have noticed a big improvement in discussions since you have joined..
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 pm are you saying that intelligent people are not tough enough to take it on the chin and laugh it off or present the facts as they see them?
There is too much attacking and insulting between the good information. Most people just want the good information, without the other.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Only one way... mano a mano
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:01 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 pm are you saying that intelligent people are not tough enough to take it on the chin and laugh it off or present the facts as they see them?
There is too much attacking and insulting between the good information. Most people just want the good information, without the other.
In which case they can use information boards, ministry websites, read the news, consult Wikipedia etc.

I do get your main point...

Keep going and you will prevail.

For people who want the good info without the BS you have the PM option.

This works and I have several good contacts now because of that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic