1st weekend at Phuket with wife, any tips?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 1st weekend at Phuket with wife, any tips?

Post by phuketrichard »

One of the oldest resorts in Patong, ( Kalim) COMPLETELY renovated just this past year! apx 15-20 minute walk to Bangla road
Excellent, bit overpriced Thai cuisine (with great wine list) at nearby Baan Rim Pa
There are a few resorts directly on the beach and many more across the road from the beach
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 am One of the oldest resorts in Patong, ( Kalim) COMPLETELY renovated just this past year! apx 15-20 minute walk to Bangla road
Excellent, bit overpriced Thai cuisine (with great wine list) at nearby Baan Rim Pa
There are a few resorts directly on the beach and many more across the road from the beach
I'm planning a trip in January.

Hunter 8 said the beaches/water is not very clean. Is this true? Is it clean enough for a paddle? It's no a deal breaker for me but would be nice to go there a couple of times...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

from now till mid April water is very nice, I go for a swim everyday here in Kamala
i'd say visibility near the beach ( shallow water) is 10 meters.
No idea when he was here but all the beaches the water is not really clear May-end of Oct

If ur need of better water vs nightlife/shopping, dont pick patong, ( lots of boats, parasailing, Jet ski's) unless you want travel to other beaches to swim.
For Kayaking, do it in Northern Phang Nga bay or better yet a night tour thru the hongs
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:19 pm from now till mid April water is very nice, I go for a swim everyday here in Kamala
No idea when he was here but all the beaches the water is not really clear May-end of Oct

If ur need of better water vs nightlife/shopping, dont pick patong, ( lots of boats, parasailing, Jet ski's) unless you want travel to other beaches to swim.
For Kayaking, do it in Northern Phang Nga bay or better yet a night tour thru the hongs
Thanks mate, it sounds fine. I'm more in to the entertainment and nightlife than beach activities, as long as it's clean enough for a paddle that's all I care about. Patong sounds fine for me, hopefully it's a couple of notches upmarket than Pattaya!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:29 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:19 pm from now till mid April water is very nice, I go for a swim everyday here in Kamala

Thanks mate, it sounds fine. I'm more in to the entertainment and nightlife than beach activities, as long as it's clean enough for a paddle that's all I care about. Patong sounds fine for me, hopefully it's a couple of notches upmarket than Pattaya!
Way nicer than pattaya. Phuket is expensive but my favourite place in asia. I must get back there soon.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doesn't have to be expensive,( but can be if you lean towards a villa with ur own pool and sea views, steak & lobster and fine wine )
Get a good air con room on one of the beaches from 500 baht, eat a good thai meal for 60- 150 baht, happy hour beers 60 baht, cocktails 99 baht
check out the Wine connection lunch deal; any pizza, a drink and salad 199 baht
OR sizzlers all you can eat salad buffet 139 baht
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic