Poor Cambodian women supplying America's market for hair

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Poor Cambodian women supplying America's market for hair

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

John Bingham, I am very happy to see explorer back you up. However, I do not believe he is correct in that most African American women wear hair extensions, if I may be so bold, I believe that the largest market for hair extensions is African Americans. In fact it is documented in the Global Hair, Wig and Extension Market Outlook Forecast.

The following factors are likely to contribute to the growth of the hair wigs and extension market during the forecast period:

Growing Demand from Consumers of African Descent

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... k-Forecast

Also you are quite correct that wigs are worn by conservative and Hasidic Jewish women, it is factual, not racist.

Hair extensions have increasingly become mainstream much as wearing your pants with the crotch around your knees did some years back, or say Rap music. China has tripled the amount of Indian sourced hair imported in recent years. As we move towards a panracial society where we all dress and act similar there will be great opportunities for business. I feel the market for "big eye" contacts will explode in America and am banking on the Sailor Moon wave to fund my retirement. Kpop bands dress, dance far outside what was once Korean culture.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I didn't say that most black women wear wigs or have extensions, I said most of the hair at that factory was for black women - which was what the owner, a black woman, informed me. If anyone has never noticed the prevalence of wig wearing among black women, that's probably because they have never been around many or just aren't very observant.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:28 pm I didn't say that most black women wear wigs or have extensions, I said most of the hair at that factory was for black women - which was what the owner, a black woman, informed me. If anyone has never noticed the prevalence of wig wearing among black women, that's probably because they have never been around many or just aren't very observant.
The more you try, the worse it gets...
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Chris Rock's Good Hair film introduced me to this market. It's quite profitable, and I'm happy the Khmer are starting to get into this niche.

Problem is the middleman.

What these women need is some basic education and guides on how to price, sell and export.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic