Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I do tend to agree with explorer.

However the story IS full of holes.

Others on here have benefited from good advice, as their story was genuine and provided solid information.

I get ripped to shreds sometimes - so what - that's life.

The OP doesn't have much recourse, as when he came under attack he had no solid allies.

He blew his Commune Chief off, crumbled when the alleged fabricated charges were laid, didn't honor his lease obligations, ran away and left his stuff.

What can he do, if he is telling the truth, or even if he is not being forthright?

His lease is forfeit - I doubt the landlord will be willing to do anything as he is not involved in this personal/business dispute. Obviously he just wants to rent out and collect his cash.

So he's out of the picture - no ally there.

The Commune Chief just wants peace and quiet - there is nothing in this for him except grief. It's not affecting Public Order.

No ally there.

The Police - unlikely to assist unless there is genuine evidence of a crime being committed or planned or a court order is issued.

Ambivalent ally.

Getting his stuff back - must be done through the courts - if he has a solid case, the lawyers and court will recover costs.

Chances of that are slim to none as he defaulted on a lease and his business partner was left holding the can.

Outstanding Court Case - well if he is innocent then it's always up to the prosecution to find him guilty based on evidence. Apparently, he paid up, which could be viewed as an admission of guilt.

Advice - if the benefits outweigh the costs then it's worth pursuing. I.e if his stuff is worth a lot of money then sure. If he is confident he is innocent and can refute all charges laid against him then go ahead. If not, then cut losses and take the lessons learned as a way forward to a more successful business in future.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:13 am So if somebody has a problem, and they come on this forum for ideas as to what to do, they can be expected to be told they are stupid and it is their fault. Is that right?

Only a few people have offered suggestions as to what to do.

While I have no direct knowledge of this particular situation, some people are falsely accused of crimes. There is the example of the two Burmese accused of murder on death island.

Do you think the op will come back for further discussion, with so many personal attacks?

Do you think if you have a problem, you will get any support from people on this forum?
Post by explorer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am

Multipox wrote: ↑Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 am
Would any of the tuktuk drivers be in cahoots with thieves?
All of them.

Most of them are also paying off the police. The police want money. They dont want to stop crime.

Other examples of people being falsely accused of crimes are listed above unless of course, you have direct knowledge of all tuktuk drivers and all police in the KOW.

I believe that a number of posters suggested the OP stay out of Cambodia, which unless he wants to go jail seems his only recourse.

I do not believe telling someone who protected a drug dealer that he protected a drug dealer is a personal attack, no one said the OP was ugly, stupid, short or fat. They simply stated that his actions exacerbated his problems.

I have sought advice on a problem and got replies that in fact I used and the problem was solved.

I have seen others with problems that were of their making seek advice and good advice was given.

I think that often advice is sought on this forum that is far outside the expertise of the forum members and usually this advice is sought by first-time posters. Anyone who seeks legal, medical or psychological advice on a public forum of untrained ex-pats does not do it for the advice, they do it to get their problem off their chest. Further, there has been a rash of trolls or perhaps the same troll repeatedly seeking advice on non-existent problems. An example of this would be the bunny boiling thread and more than likely the blind traveller that takes selfies with his iPhone.

Requesting the forum members not to judge the poster's actions if they may have caused the poster 's problems is wrong in my opinion. How would you answer a thread asking for advice on dismembering a body for example?

And finally, whilst you ask questions of other posters do you answer other posters ' questions?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 pm I do tend to agree with explorer.

However the story IS full of holes.

Others on here have benefited from good advice, as their story was genuine and provided solid information.

I get ripped to shreds sometimes - so what - that's life.

The OP doesn't have much recourse, as when he came under attack he had no solid allies.

He blew his Commune Chief off, crumbled when the alleged fabricated charges were laid, didn't honor his lease obligations, ran away and left his stuff.

What can he do, if he is telling the truth, or even if he is not being forthright?

His lease is forfeit - I doubt the landlord will be willing to do anything as he is not involved in this personal/business dispute. Obviously he just wants to rent out and collect his cash.

So he's out of the picture - no ally there.

The Commune Chief just wants peace and quiet - there is nothing in this for him except grief. It's not affecting Public Order.

No ally there.

The Police - unlikely to assist unless there is genuine evidence of a crime being committed or planned or a court order is issued.

Ambivalent ally.

Getting his stuff back - must be done through the courts - if he has a solid case, the lawyers and court will recover costs.

Chances of that are slim to none as he defaulted on a lease and his business partner was left holding the can.

Outstanding Court Case - well if he is innocent then it's always up to the prosecution to find him guilty based on evidence. Apparently, he paid up, which could be viewed as an admission of guilt.

Advice - if the benefits outweigh the costs then it's worth pursuing. I.e if his stuff is worth a lot of money then sure. If he is confident he is innocent and can refute all charges laid against him then go ahead. If not, then cut losses and take the lessons learned as a way forward to a more successful business in future.
I respectfully disagree for the simple reason that we haven't any proof. His story is so full of holes. First of which he has been here for 12 years so must have some connections by now, so why is he on here asking random strangers. Also why, after being here so long, is he not a member of the forum in all that time yet now decides to avail himself of our collective wisdom (and madness.)

This guy has just fallen out of the sky with a tale of woe and so I respectfully asked him for some bona fide proof that he is real and not just another troll. I don't think that is too much to ask before we all get our thinking caps on.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 pm However the story IS full of holes.
I think, because of the offensiveness of many of the posts, he is not likely to come back and provide more information.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Someone living in Cambodia for 12 years and not understanding much about how things work is a bit surprising. Maybe he was so busy with his business, he did not have much to do with anything else. Maybe he doesn't speak Khmer.

Who said he was a he. It is likely to be a he. Maybe she is a she?

I would be curious to know if the business partner was Khmer of Foreigner. To get involved with a drug dealer is a problem wherever they are from.

I don't think we will find out.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 pm
Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 pm However the story IS full of holes.
I think, because of the offensiveness of many of the posts, he is not likely to come back and provide more information.
Probably the same reason we have no tuktuk drivers as members as well
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:09 pm
I respectfully disagree for the simple reason that we haven't any proof. His story is so full of holes. First of which he has been here for 12 years so must have some connections by now, so why is he on here asking random strangers. Also why, after being here so long, is he not a member of the forum in all that time yet now decides to avail himself of our collective wisdom (and madness.)

This guy has just fallen out of the sky with a tale of woe and so I respectfully asked him for some bona fide proof that he is real and not just another troll. I don't think that is too much to ask before we all get our thinking caps on.
I agree with you because the proofs are required. Too many holes. I even looked up which resort was in question. I am fairly certain which one but see below.

I agree with explorer because the comments can be biting at times, which can discourage the OP from posting more details.

If the OP is adamant then he can post some proofs. If not then he loses CEO allies too.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:26 pm If the OP is adamant then he can post some proofs. If not then he loses CEO allies too.
If he posted some proof, do you think anyone on CEO would want to help him?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Multipox wrote: ↑Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 am
Would any of the tuktuk drivers be in cahoots with thieves?
All of them.

Most of them are also paying off the police. The police want money. They dont want to stop crime.

A completely undeserved slur on many good officers, and of course the tuk-tuks.

There are bad eggs anywhere and everywhere, but they are a minority and much despised by the rest.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:26 pm If the OP is adamant then he can post some proofs. If not then he loses CEO allies too.
If he posted some proof, do you think anyone on CEO would want to help him?
Pretty certain of it - unless we are all a bunch of cunts - which is statistically unlikely.

More to the point would anyone be able to realistically offer anything other than advice as to the legal way forward.
Locked Previous topicNext topic