Is the Water Festival dying?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is the Water Festival dying?

Post by frizzie77 »

Have you noticed the number of people roaming the streets of central Phnom Penh for the Water Festival this year is nothing compared to what it once was?

I know the level never reached the same number since the awful stampede tragedy in 2010. However, in the last couple of years it seemed to get up a bit. Not this year. It's noticeably much quieter than last year. You can see it in the number of people wandering around, but also simply counting the motos parked at the blocked street entrances, and the time those blocks are lifted in the evening (also, much earlier than last year).

Is it only the threat of disruptions because the Rainman may or may not arrive? I've also heard cheap minibuses from the provinces are not allowed into Phnom Penh, blocking poorer country people from traveling to the capital (which may or may not also be related to that clown maybe or maybe not arriving...).

Any other thoughts?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Is the Water Festival dying?

Post by rogerrabbit »

frizzie77 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm Have you noticed the number of people roaming the streets of central Phnom Penh for the Water Festival this year is nothing compared to what it once was?

I know the level never reached the same number since the awful stampede tragedy in 2010. However, in the last couple of years it seemed to get up a bit. Not this year. It's noticeably much quieter than last year. You can see it in the number of people wandering around, but also simply counting the motos parked at the blocked street entrances, and the time those blocks are lifted in the evening (also, much earlier than last year).

Is it only the threat of disruptions because the Rainman may or may not arrive? I've also heard cheap minibuses from the provinces are not allowed into Phnom Penh, blocking poorer country people from traveling to the capital (which may or may not also be related to that clown maybe or maybe not arriving...).

Any other thoughts?
Probably partly is due to the Rainman. One major thing is also many families start to have some extra money so they now days go abroad during holidays. Each year I know more and more families going to Bangkok during the KNY, water festival or any longer holiday.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's nothing compared to what it was pre 2010, there were one million people coming into town and the crowds stretched out beyond Monivong and Olympic or Mao Tse Tung. The night before the disaster we drove down in a pickup truck and parked near the Russian Embassy, strolled down and said hello to Sambo the elephant who was still staying in the field behind the Australian Embassy, wandered around Koh Pich and went home. I was very surprised with what happened the next evening, but part of the blame has to go to slack policing.
Since then it was called off a few times, and then at first it had slim attendance. The crowds are growing though, I've been at every Water Festival since 2005. The whole nature of the festival has changed though, much as the country has. In previous times people would turn up in the capital with a few dollars and some handicrafts to sell. They would sleep in the open, around the parks and pagodas. These days you can't walk on or sleep on the lawns, and in general life is much more expensive, especially in the capital.
So the slimming down of the festival is not such a bad thing. It makes it easier to get about, and unless you live in a tiny slot between Norodom and the Riverside it shouldn't even affect you. It's the only festival where people come from the countryside to the capital (rather than visiting ancestral homes outside the capital for almost every other one) so for many from remote areas it is the only time in the year they get to see the "big smoke". I'll head down there tomorrow and have fun and welcome our brethren from the boonies. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

The crowds appear to be down this year according to my missus watching the social media and surfing the news on you tube.

People are blaming Runaway Rainsy, so he's lost even more of his support base now.

As JB pointed out the disaster is a major factor.

The cancellations added to the decay.

The final thing is more and more people are focusing on wealth-building and getting that extra buck in while the going is good.

I've never been - I dislike crowds - and my missus does too.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

As I have written in my original post which Mishmash seems to ignore (as he does with almost every post) it's NOT compared to the disaster of 9 years ago, it's compared to LAST year. And I cannot imagine the drastically lower figures within one year are only because of "more and more people focusing on wealth-building and getting that extra buck in" as the idiot writes.

Total bullshit, as almost everything Mishmash is posting, with his pathetic pictures of some military figures he's toasting with and his constant mentioning of 'high figures' he's supposed to be 'friends' with.

You know you've encountered a conman when he boasts about his 'high-end' connections. Because the people that really have those connections never make that public.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 am As I have written in my original post which Mishmash seems to ignore (as he does with almost every post) it's NOT compared to the disaster of 9 years ago, it's compared to LAST year. And I cannot imagine the drastically lower figures within one year are only because of "more and more people focusing on wealth-building and getting that extra buck in" as the idiot writes.

Total bullshit, as almost everything Mishmash is posting, with his pathetic pictures of some military figures he's toasting with and his constant mentioning of 'high figures' he's supposed to be 'friends' with.

You know you've encountered a conman when he boasts about his 'high-end' connections. Because the people that really have those connections never make that public.
I'm sorry you feel that in some way I am a con-man.

Sadly, my connections are not that high-ranking, although I do get to meet some on occasions.

They did not buy their rank - they earned it - which is surprising but they are hand-picked by General Manet who is strictly anti-corruption so that's par for the course.

The men I pictured are actually responsible for the protection of visiting dignitaries - heads of-state etc, so the epithet of 'pathetic' is an undeserved slur.

Please find evidence to the contrary about me or what I say or what I do.

I haven't asked for a penny off anyone BTW and am respected in my Industry by locals and foreigners, by the Police, The Military and my Commune.

I'm not rich, but I'm not poor either as I have explained on many occasions.

So what!

About posting bullshit - that's part and parcel of life isn't it.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 am hand-picked by General Manet
his constant mentioning of 'high figures'

Need I say more? (And the above is just one example of many.)

Let's get back on topic, please.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:23 am
Mishmash wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 am hand-picked by General Manet
his constant mentioning of 'high figures'

Need I say more? (And the above is just one example of many.)

Let's get back on topic, please.
Is there something wrong with that - they are in the papers everyday.

Is there something wrong with people wanting to improve themselves?

Is there something wrong with wanting to be associated with successful people?

I don't get your point.

As for keeping it on topic - I tried.

The crowds are down or appear to be.

Businesses are open in my Commune compared to last year.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Mish -

There is a vocal contingent on CEO that believe that success and failure is in no way related to individual hard work and hustle, but rather an accident of birth or just sheer luck. You will never convince them otherwise. They will hunt you over multiple forums and topics just to beat you with the righteousness of their cause. Just another reason why I don’t post as often anymore.

I’ve never seen the country afraid of one man as much as Rainsy Calling out the army, navy, diplomatic corps to stop him. What would happen if he arrived during the Water Festival. Assassination? Public flogging?

Just the opinions of the eternal tourist to the KOW.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

And, back on topic again . . .

I'm not surprised that numbers are down this year. Remember, the rural folks were stocking up on rice and dried fish in fear of scuffles this weekend on account of SR's return. So, sure, it's Rainsy's fault!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic