My sister is thinking of relocating here!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

My sister is thinking of relocating here!

Post by IraHayes »

She us 51, holds uk and british passports, divorced, background in retail management. She is financially secure with her own house and savings in the bank.

Given this brief outline i find myself thinking the only work she would find is teaching.

Now comes the first for me... asking the esteemed members of this forum for advice. She may well post as i told her to have a read of this forum. But here goes.....

Pros and cons gentlemen please.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: My sister is thinking of relocating here!

Post by explorer »

I suggest she have some long holidays here before deciding whether or not she wants to relocate permanently.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pro: living in a different culture will provide her with a different view.

Cons: kids? My parents hate the fact I'm far away. Might work out the other way the same.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I don't think we can answer for your sister. It depends what she is looking for here. I guess she has visited you, so has some idea, but living here is different. Mostly, she should keep her house in the UK, so that there is always a way for her to return home if she gets tired of Cambodia.
Otherwise, yeah go for it. You get one life.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Pros.
If she's financially stable life in Phnom Penh will be (money wise) low stress.
It's an adventure which we all need from time to time.
Perhaps your sister will develop a perspective on her previous life and her self by moving away, offering positive insights as she moves forward in life.
It can be as long or as short an experience as she desires. If it sucks after a month, she can just go home - no immigration cells for her.
There are so many brilliant countries to visit within an hour of two of flying from Phnom Penh.
A 52 year old single, well rounded (some say), well traveled, British and Australian passport holder will be back in PP Feb. *Cough*

Cons (The usual)
Some European women struggle with the heat particularly if they're larger people.
Forming female friendships can be difficult for some middle aged single women.(If she has that requirement)
All the Asian things many westerners have problems with like noise, double pricing, treatment of animals....and on.
Missing family and friends may have an impact.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What's are UK and British passports?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm What's are UK and British passports?
Ah.. i meant uk and Australian.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Why is she considering relocating to Cambodia of all places, other than the fact that you live there?

Has she visited before and "luved it"?

Anyway, it seems a bit of an odd choice. She should probably explore the region and get a feel for the various countries before deciding.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:37 pm She us 51, holds uk and british passports, divorced, background in retail management. She is financially secure with her own house and savings in the bank.

Given this brief outline i find myself thinking the only work she would find is teaching.

Now comes the first for me... asking the esteemed members of this forum for advice. She may well post as i told her to have a read of this forum. But here goes.....

Pros and cons [deleted] women, please.
she could teach - would be better for the students if she trained to do that rather than just giving it a shot.

quite a few people set up their own businesses (retail included), if she's that financially secure she might create a business to keep herself busy. She might get involved with an NGO. If she doesn't need a big income, she could even work behind a bar as a way to have a social life. She'd earn local wage. She also has a choice of doing nothing.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic