8 years overstay

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pablo254
Tourist
Cambodia

8 years overstay

Post by Pablo254 »

Hi guys,
My numbskull of a mate has 8 year overstay and no passport, oh and of course no money. Hes going to pp in the next few days to hand himself in. What can he expect???? Apart from a good rodgering in the IDC..
Smoking Joe Conrad
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 8 years overstay

Post by Smoking Joe Conrad »

A large fine, calculated on a price per day of his overstay, which if he can’t pay will mean some prison time.

This will be followed by languishing in the IDC whilst his embassy arranges a temporary passport (if he no longer has one) along with paying for his flight home at the expense of his country’s tax payer. He will then be banned from returning for at least 5 years.

This happened to me in Thailand although my overstay was only a few weeks so my prison time and IDC stay was also only a few weeks. My fine was also tiny.

I guess 8 years might slow down the whole process. Also it depends where he is from. I am a UK passport holder and my embassy were extremely proactive in getting me home as quickly as possible.

(This was helped by the fact I was extremely ill which is why the situation occurred in the first place. My embassy arranged for a doctor to travel home with me and another guy from England who was senile and had somehow popped down to the shops at home in Manchester and wound up in Bangkok.)

Whilst in the IDC in Bangkok I was told the UK got it’s citizens out of there faster than anyone. It might be different in Cambodia. The US was surprisingly slow but still better than most. There were several Eastern Europeans and Russians who had been in there for months (and in a few cases years) waiting for their embassy to get on the case and pay for the flight home.

Also if your mate is African expect much worse treatment and very slow processing time. The African cell in Thailand was totally dark, way over crowded with no fans and even worse toilet facilities. The white boys cage at least had lights and fans. Scandalous and overt racism in my book made worse by Thailand presenting itself as a developed country and ‘the land of smiles’. I have never much liked Thailand and was only there for medical treatment that turned out to be woefully inept.

If your mate can get a family member to pay the fine and the flight home he will be processed very quickly and be out of there in no time at all.

Whilst I didn’t witness any violence in the IDC conditions are pretty terrible and it’s not the kind of place you want to be in for long.

Either way your mate has fucked up and has some shit times incoming.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Pablo254 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm Hi guys,
My numbskull of a mate has 8 year overstay and no passport, oh and of course no money. Hes going to pp in the next few days to hand himself in. What can he expect???? Apart from a good rodgering in the IDC..
This guy has posted about 15 very short videos of life inside the IDC in PP recently, some as recent as 3 weeks ago. Get your friend to watch them, he will probably choose not to stay in the room with the Australian that licks his own urine of the floor if he can. Think of it as the "lonely planet" guide to IDC.

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I see the kiwi guy in that video. What was his crime again? He's been in there ages.

I learn of people in the immigration detention and prisons and one side of me wants to help them as I'd like to be helped.... but then I think, better to keep myself to myself and not attract attention for helping the 'wrong' people (in the eyes of whomever decides such things).

Good on him for acting as protector of females in there.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Rockers
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Rockers »

How anyone can be irresponsible enough to overstay 8 years is beyond me. You will get what you deserve. Justice will be served
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Rockers wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:21 pm How anyone can be irresponsible enough to overstay 8 years is beyond me. You will get what you deserve. Justice will be served
Just imagine you suffered from dengue for a long, long, loooong time.......
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

was this thread HEAVILY edited?
just cause Smoking joe was outed as seawolf??

WHY?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm was this thread HEAVILY edited?

WHY?
Yes, this thread was heavily edited.

No, it wasn't just cause Smoking Joe was outed as seawolf.

WHY? Something else took place while you were having your afternoon nap.

Why do you ask? Do you want to derail the thread again? What is the point of your question? Why do you type 'WHY' in capital letters like we owe you an explanation?

:please:
Pablo254
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Pablo254 »

Thanks for everything guys, and yes hell get what he deserves and rightly so. I'm taking him to the embassy and then immigration, I'll be a fly on the wall sneaky like a ninja taking it all in. Hes a big bwoy he know what coming. I'll let you guys know how it pans out.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm was this thread HEAVILY edited?

WHY?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic