Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm maybe we can have a beer, or a cup of tea, some time? You seem to know a lot about Cambodia and I'm always eager to learn.
I am not interested.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:10 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm maybe we can have a beer, or a cup of tea, some time? You seem to know a lot about Cambodia and I'm always eager to learn.
I am not interested.
Fair enough.

Somehow I had the feeling you would turn me down before asking, but I've been turned down before and I will get over it.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

explorer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:50 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:26 pm In Khmer there are a few letters (I haven't made a record of which ones exactly) that vary between similar sounds, for example d --> dt --> t, or b --> bp --> p. Even if you try to learn the letters, the authors of books teaching the sounds of the letters will often put a sound that doesn't match one's own experience of the sound.

Anyway, just my thoughts, you can disagree with me and it all doesn't really matter much.
I agree with you. However, Cambodians don't necessarily think of them having different sounds. It is just people who are learning the language who see it that way.

While books may assist you a little, you need to learn from people, or you will pronounce words very badly. Even when learning the letters, see how they are written in books, but get Cambodians to pronounce them for you.
It would be quite common for native speakers of a language not to be aware of the oddities of their own language. If you asked most native speakers of English about pronunciation they may be not have been conscious of some of the oddities of their own language.

I learned to speak Khmer first, and only learned to read later, so i agree with you that you need to learn the sound of words from real people. I actually have advised some people against learning to read first because, in my view, it is not written the way it actually sounds.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I think it is good to learn the Khmer alphabet fairly early on, so you can spell words. There are some words I may never be able to pronounce correctly if I couldn't spell them.

Here is one word many people who have not learnt the alphabet pronounce incorrectly.

ឆ្ងាញ់

Which means delicious.

Many pronounce it similar to:

ឆ្នាំង

Which means cooking pot, or pan.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:01 pm It would be quite common for native speakers of a language not to be aware of the oddities of their own language.
In the process of learning another language, you realise certain things about English, you may have not thought about before.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:14 pm Here is one word many people who have not learnt the alphabet pronounce incorrectly.

ឆ្ងាញ់

Which means delicious.

ឆ្នាំង

Cat

Can

Change a vowel and the meaning of the word mysteriously changes.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's ridiculous, you'd have to be 95% deaf not to be able to differentiate those words. How about explaining the subtle differences between the words for thief and grandchild? That might be useful.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

explorer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:14 pm I think it is good to learn the Khmer alphabet fairly early on, so you can spell words. There are some words I may never be able to pronounce correctly if I couldn't spell them.

Here is one word many people who have not learnt the alphabet pronounce incorrectly.

ឆ្ងាញ់

Which means delicious.

ឆ្នាំង

If the person you are learning from speaks clearly, and you have a good ear, you should be able to hear the way this word sounds.

But again, in my view the common spoken version is not actually a 'ny' at the end but rather an 'n' sound.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:47 pm How about explaining the subtle differences between the words for thief and grandchild? That might be useful.
Agreed, I struggle with that one.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic