What do you call the type of semi-long life milk they sell here?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

What do you call the type of semi-long life milk they sell here?

Post by xandreu »

There's UHT milk which lasts forever, usually comes in a box and tastes damn awful. Then you have the proper fresh milk which only lasts a few days, I think Moo-Moo are the only real fresh milk brand in Cambodia?

And then you've got that other type that looks and tastes like fresh milk (apart from Dutch Mill which tastes like UHT) but usually has a use by date of two or three weeks or so - brands like Meejii and Magnolia etc.

Is there a name for that type of milk and does anyone know how it's produced so that it has such a long shelf life? We only have fresh and UHT in my home country. I've never come across this other type of milk before.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What do you call the type of semi-long life milk they sell here?

Post by Clemen »

If it comes in a tetrapak it's uht. Most of the stuff here is tetrapak, and could not be called "milk" under western regulations. Moo moo and some of the imported brands are milk, many are reconstituted milk + water and stabilizers
up to you...
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Clemen wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 pm If it comes in a tetrapak it's uht. Most of the stuff here is tetrapak, and could not be called "milk" under western regulations. Moo moo and some of the imported brands are milk, many are reconstituted milk + water and stabilizers
good info. I created a thread within the last year about the different taste of the milk brands like Meeji. the response was the local of what the cows ate vs the USA, lol. I had never heard of UHT or tetrapak until now, thank you.

I'll now hunt for Moo Moo
Still here, in country...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Clemen wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 pm If it comes in a tetrapak it's uht. Most of the stuff here is tetrapak, and could not be called "milk" under western regulations. Moo moo and some of the imported brands are milk, many are reconstituted milk + water and stabilizers
several of those foil packed UHT milks are western brands
is this just sneaky FUD/a plug for moo moo?

monstra mihi bona!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Dunno what the brand's name is...

But Moo Moo's cowgirl is called Daisy

She delivers all you want.

Milks you dry apparently

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Moo Milk has always gone off after a day or two when I've bought it, Magnolia lasts quite a bit longer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Yeah, I also get that magnolia because of how long it lasts
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Captain Bonez wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 pm Yeah, I also get that magnolia because of how long it lasts
I'll third that - taste is ok too.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ravensnest wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:52 pm

good info. I created a thread within the last year about the different taste of the milk brands like
Meeji. the response was the local of what the cows ate vs the USA, lol. I had never heard of UHT or tetrapak until now, thank you.

I'll now hunt for Moo Moo

Maybe good to give that link or amalgamate the two threads. Most people don't even know where milk comes from or know that different breeds of cows give different type of milk and different tastes depends on what those animals eat. How many members here have even milked a cow or 500 a day.

Duncan's hand is up.

Now can I go back to counting sheep to get some sleep.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Green Top Milk (Raw Unpasteurized NOT the Soy Boy Semi-Fat shite) in a glass recyclable 1 pint bottle delivered by the Woodcock's farmer's daughters (who I went to school with) to your doorstep every morning before brekkers, even in winter plus the bill and vegetables, eggs and cream delivered Saturday.

Can't beat it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic