Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Freightdog »

Poutine.

A Canuck delicacy. Just looking at it invokes hardening of the arteries.
Fries, cheese curds, gravy

Actually, remarkably good. The Canadian equivalent of after-beer foods like donner kebabs.

Oddly, Poteen also exists in Ireland, and uses the humble potato for its base, too. Slightly less stodgy, though.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Monkey brains.
Quite a favoured treat in dhaka. Never discovered (or did I?) what they do with the rest of the poor unfortunate primate.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cambodia.
The unfortunate almost-chicken, cooked to death in its own pot, and served as if it were about to hatch. The other half is under strict instructions not to get Freightdog Jr hooked on this.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 pm Just to clarify if anyone is wondering re the little caption comments under the pics...including the reference to 'disgusting' in the title... is not mine. I sourced that from the attached links. Some of those foods I personally don't find disgusting at all and gladly tuck into the black pudding, jellied eels and mushy peas :mrgreen:

And feel free to add other 'disgusting' foods from other countries...
Too late to be polite now, Clutch.

....besides, it is completely unwarranted.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm First, disgusting American foods..

Foreigners are unsure of what grits actually are.

Cornmeal, use to eat the shit in the box "Creme of Wheat" as a kid, later living in the South had the real stuff, don't usually eat it but I'll put syrup in it.

Many foreigners don’t get the appeal of peanut butter … much less in combination with jelly.

Peanut butter and jelly is a staple for every American kid.

To foreigners biscuits are meant to be sweet — and definitely not served with gravy.

Butter milk biscuits, they're made with flour and not sweet, sausage with gravy over the biscuits it's a heavy breakfast, they can make you faaaaaaaat...

Cheese? More like “Cheese.”

We ate that shit as kids, any adult should be flogged eating it. And for the record us Americans can get good fucking cheese beyond the process grocery store crap.

Root beer has an unusual flavour most foreigners just can’t place.

Once again drank as kids - root beer floats, only time I drink cola now is mixing it in whiskey.

Many foreigners are wary of corn dogs.

Carnival food for the most part, something you can eat while walking around, hotdog wrapped in cornbread, sometimes deepfriend.

Twinkies taste stale to foreigners.

Just a cake with creme in it, all the processed grocery store pastries are shit.

Many foreigners maintain that Hershey’s tastes faintly like vomit.

Does taste waxy to me, with a jar of Peanut butter not bad.

Boxed macaroni and cheese is thought to be totally disgusting.

Kid or broke college kid food, ok in a pinch for a side.

Beyond the grits and biscuits this is all kid food, why do people think all Americans eat like this? Ridiculous :facepalm:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/amer ... oss-2018-2

Now to disgusting British foods..

Mince pies

Eh don't look bad to me

Spotted Dick

No fkn clue on this one

Black pudding

Like a blood sausage? If so many countries have it, I like it but in small quantities.

Mushy peas

Love my greens so I'd eat it, doesn't look pretty.

Stargazy pie

Yeah, no.

Scotch eggs

Looks like something good for breakfast

Digestive biscuits

Can you drink beer with it?

Jellied eels

I like eel I'd give it a shot

Haggis

Always wanted to try this, I like tripe when cooked, hate it when it's in a soup like Menudo

One of the worst food I've ate is called Shiokara, raw squid in pulverized guts fermented, a taste that stays with you for several days, the Japanese love to drink beer with it.

Also chicken feet.

That Swedish Surströmming looks pretty interesting.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasminnahar/br ... world-find
https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/27/13-disgu ... to=cbshare
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

That Swedish Surströmming looks pretty interesting.
My brother, who has lived in Sweden for almost 40 years, gifted me a can. I opened it, threw up, then burned the lot.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Some funny comments on here.

@Freightdog re the Andouillette sausage. I only recently had the pleasure to indulge in one in PP and it indeed did smell and taste strong.. Might pass on that next time now that I know what it contains..
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Stargazy pie
Here’s a great way to ruin a pie, let’s just stick a few fish heads in the pastry for an extra decorative touch.
I love the way you eluded to defend it : in France, this pie would need a lawyer.

Some of our delicacies :

LES TRIPES :

A mix of internal organs (you don't want the details). Make sure you don't have to practice volley-ball afterwise. Clear your schedule for the afternoon. Best with wine.

L'ANDOUILLETTE :

Yes it DOES look like an old man's dick. And it taste like ass (clean ass, but how to be sure ?). However, i'm fine having it in my mouth. Best with wine.

COUILLES DE MOUTON ( sheep's balls. Yes.):

Eeeew. But when you don't know what it actually is, it's delicious. You might get this prank when invited, so, beware. Best with wine.

CERVELLE D'AGNEAU (lamb's brain) :

What can we say ? We just have to eat ANYTHING. I guess we would need a lawyer in other countries to justify that, but when it tastes good....Best with wine. And cognac to rinse well. And then die.

CASU MARZU a.k.a the living cheese :

This smelly little living thing has more protein than expected. You might be using the worm as fishing baits, throw the cheese as a smellbomb in a war, repell US tourist with a 5 meter radius in touristic sites, it's really a useful one.
Best with wine, then rinse with cognac, then brush your teeth with an iron brush, you still won't be able to catch anybody for a kiss tonight. And you reputation will be gone (out of France of course. Maybe even a bit inside to be fair.)

DO NOT EAT ALL OF THESE IN ONE DAY. Your farts might be considered as weapon of mass destruction, and the US would have to wake up Colin and Condo to launch another airstrike. But if you do, best with wine, and a good doctor closeby.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm I love the way you eluded to defend it.

In France, this pie would need a lawyer.
Careful, your country might be the next target for 'disgusting' foods...the Andouillette sausage for starters.. :hattip:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Stargazy pie
Here’s a great way to ruin a pie, let’s just stick a few fish heads in the pastry for an extra decorative touch.
I love the way you eluded to defend it.

In France, this pie would need a lawyer.
I lived in the UK for a long time and never saw or heard of this fish head pie.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic