Cambodian Cuisine: Asia’s most underrated?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Cuisine: Asia’s most underrated?

Post by Confused »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:38 pm
Confused wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 pm In answer to the question, I'd say the most under rated is Philippines, because it seems to have a reputation for being appalling, and is generally perfectly acceptable I found.

In terms of the best options Singapore has to win hands down, but Cambodia would certainly be up near the top of the list I'd say, particularly if price was taken into account.

The trouble I find in Phnom Penh, is how quickly many great little places close down. Every time I went it would seem like my favourite restaurants from the previous trip were no longer around.
now i know ur full of shit, PI food is some of the worst crap i have ever eaten and you rate Khmer food over Thai ? :please: :please:
I didn't say I rate Khmer food over Thai, but there is probably more variety of quality food in PP than anywhere in Thailand except for Bangkok.

I like Thai food but unless you get out of the touristy places, eating in Thailand is a complete rip off for a barang. My first trip to Thailand was 12 years ago and there was one price for all and you could eat for $1. In phuket now the same would cost $10.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

willyhilly wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm ...We eat lots of chicken feet...
I've seen a lot of roadside carts and some small restaurants with chicken feet. How does that work? Do you just eat the skin off? Is there really meat under there, or is it just skin and bone? What does it taste like? I've been thinking of trying it, but don't really know what to expect or how you're supposed to eat them.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

Electric Earth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 pm
willyhilly wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm ...We eat lots of chicken feet...
I've seen a lot of roadside carts and some small restaurants with chicken feet. How does that work? Do you just eat the skin off? Is there really meat under there, or is it just skin and bone? What does it taste like? I've been thinking of trying it, but don't really know what to expect or how you're supposed to eat them.
a lot of the bar girls eat that shit. Christ almighty, would struggle to think of anything less appetising than a chicken's foot. WTAF ?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Confused wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 pm
Confused wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 pm In answer to the question, I'd say the most under rated is Philippines, because it seems to have a reputation for being appalling, and is generally perfectly acceptable I found.

In terms of the best options Singapore has to win hands down, but Cambodia would certainly be up near the top of the list I'd say, particularly if price was taken into account.

The trouble I find in Phnom Penh, is how quickly many great little places close down. Every time I went it would seem like my favourite restaurants from the previous trip were no longer around.
now i know ur full of shit, PI food is some of the worst crap i have ever eaten and you rate Khmer food over Thai ? :please: :please:
I didn't say I rate Khmer food over Thai, but there is probably more variety of quality food in PP than anywhere in Thailand except for Bangkok.

I like Thai food but unless you get out of the touristy places, eating in Thailand is a complete rip off for a barang. My first trip to Thailand was 12 years ago and there was one price for all and you could eat for $1. In phuket now the same would cost $10.
More BS: I have traveled all over this country an have never seen anywhere serving all you can eat, ( anything) for $1 (31 baht)... and for sure never in Phuket.... even fried rice/noodles and or soup 20 years ago was 25-30 baht
You can get all you can eat salad at Sizzlers for 139 baht ($4.5) and its a great deal and fresh food.
Hot pots all over the island 160-180 baht
The variety of food in Phuket is nearly equal to Bangkok

There is more variety of food in many cities in Thailand, (Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, Khon khan) than anywhere in Cambodia and every magor an even minor cities, have a mall where you have food courts

Best PI food i had was in HK...

I'd rate Cambodian food you get in restaurants near the bottom, ( well above PI food) for sure below Thai, Malay, Laos, Burma, ( Shan food is fantastic) Singapore & Indonesian
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 am
Confused wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 pm

More BS: I have traveled all over this country an have never seen anywhere serving all you can eat, ( anything) for $1 (31 baht)... and for sure never in Phuket.... even fried rice/noodles and or soup 20 years ago was $1
You can now get all you can eat salad at Sizzlers for 139 baht ($4.5) and its a great deal and fresh food.
Hot pots all over the island 160-180 baht
The variety of food in Phuket is nearly equal to Bangkok

There is more variety of food in many cities in Thailand, (Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, Khon khan than anywhere in Cambodia and every magor an even minor cities have a mall where you have food courts

Best PI food i had was in HK...

I'd rate Cambodian food you get in restaurants near the bottom, ( well above PI food) for sure below Thai, Malay, Laos, Burma, ( Shan food is fantastic) Singapore & Indonesian
Claiming that prices for food for tourists in tourist areas in Thailand have gone up in the last 10-15 years is "bullshit" is it ???? I see. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Think I'm starting to get this place now.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phuketrichard wrote:I'd rate Cambodian food you get in restaurants near the bottom, ( well above PI food) for sure below Thai, Malay, Laos, Burma, ( Shan food is fantastic) Singapore & Indonesian
Have you been to 123 Pig next to Brooklyn Pizza? Their Nyam plate is a share plate of various veggies and meats meant to be rolled up dipped, and eaten. I found the taste to be light, and so much fun as a thing to do together.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I never claimed prices did not go up as of course they have, what i paid 25-30 baht for in the market 20 years ago now goes for 50, 20-30 years ago street food chicken and rice in Bangkok 25-30 baht, now 50-60

Nowhere near what you quote of $1-10!!!

Stick with the bar girls as thats what you want people to think you understand
PS: those have gone up as well, 25-30 years ago Manasan girl 500 baht allnight, Bar girl 300 baht barfine, 7-1,000 baht all night
gogo 500 BF, 1,000 all night, nowadays hard to get a girl to stay all night ( or so I am told as a gave up the bar scene 10 years ago)

Cambodia in 2008 a girl was $3-5 for the bar $20-25 for all night
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Confused
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Confused »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:34 am I never claimed prices did not go up as of course they have, what i paid 25-30 baht for in the market 20 years ago now goes for 50, 20-30 years ago street food chicken and rice in Bangkok 25-30 baht, now 50-60

Nowhere near what you quote of $1-10!!!

Stick with the bar girls as thats what you want people to think you understand
PS: those have gone up as well, 25-30 years ago Manasan girl 500 baht allnight, Bar girl 300 baht barfine, 7-1,000 baht all night
gogo 500 BF, 1,000 all night, nowadays hard to get a girl to stay all night ( or so I am told as a gave up the bar scene 10 years ago)

Cambodia in 2008 a girl was $3-5 for the bar $20-25 for all night
Man, my first trip to Asia was in 2007, and spent mostly in Koh Tao. I could eat at a beachside restaurant and have green curry, rice and a fruit shake for 50 baht. The same would now cost 300 (edited).
Last edited by Confused on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Shan food is waaaaaay more underrated. It's the tits.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BS::::Ur really delusional , it was never that low even over in Koh Tao
green curry, rice and a fruit shake in phuket would be under 220 baht ( except in a 5 star resort where it might be 400) in the 80's around 120
fruit shakes alone is now 50-70 .... 20 years ago 25 baht

PS; since you brought up when ur 1st trip was, my first trip to se asia ....1975, living here since 1984
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic