Cambodian Cuisine: Asia’s most underrated?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodian Cuisine: Asia’s most underrated?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:09 am
bittermelon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:11 am Must say I'm with you on the baguettes. Something I've wondered about as long as I've been visiting the KOW. Why are they so abrasive? Is there something cheaper than wheat flour that goes into them?
They add a lot of sugar to disguise the taste of cockroaches and rats that live on the flour.
FFS, explorer, they must be lining up down the street to have a beer with you. I'm not sure I've come across a more negative attitude from an expat toward the country he chose to live in.

I have to say, it's those such as your self that makes me feel my choices in life have been pretty damn good.
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

Kung Fu hillbilly knows zilch about food it seems.
Explorer , mishmash and others are bang on. Khmer "cuisine" generally sucks. Worst in Asia, except Filipino obviously. Jellybee is the only burger chain that is worse than Lucky's
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I have to disagree a bit, have had a few excellent dishes prepared in Cambodian homes and my gf's Lok Lak and fish Amok are great
BUT what you get in restaurants is largely, you eat cause you have to eat and the gf/wife doesn't have access to a kitchen. Even Burmese food is better....
Best flip food i had was in HK>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You go to a restaurant. They keep the ingredients until they are stale, and start to go off. Then when you order a meal they include the ingredients that are stale or going off. They add spices, so you are not supposed to notice. Then there are the rats, cockroaches and flies getting into the food. They don't care.

Other things some people do is, after going to the market and buying their food, they leave it in the sun. When they start preparing the food, they may see ants, so they spray them, with a lot of the spray going on the food, plates and surfaces they prepare the food on. They don't understand how dangerous these sprays are.

A lot of people in restaurants sell food to customers they would not eat themselves.

They save money by including old stale ingredients.

They don't think about providing the best, and getting repeat business. It is about getting your money today.

Then I have eaten with a lot of Cambodian people in their homes. In most cases, the food was very good. So the problem is not Cambodian food as such. It is the stale ingredients and lack of hygiene.

If restaurants made the same food using only fresh ingredients, most of the food would be nice.
Last edited by explorer on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Far out Explorer, how do you handle living in the KOW?
Perhaps you could find another poor country to help students in where the people aren't out to f you over the way you seem to feel like Cambodians are?
Last edited by bittermelon on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

[Admin Edit: No need for that. Thanks.]
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Singsling wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:42 am Kung Fu hillbilly knows zilch about food it seems.
Explorer , mishmash and others are bang on. Khmer "cuisine" generally sucks. Worst in Asia, except Filipino obviously.
A lot of people will like you if you put a positive spin on everything, even if they know it is not true. If the only problem was the food tasted bad, it would not be a serious issue. With the number of people getting sick and even dying from Cambodian food, I believe we need to warn people.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The number of people dying. Jesus wept, this is a thread about cuisine, not the muck you eat in roadside shacks in the boonies.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I'm guessing when explorer arrives at a restaurant his negativity, Gray demeanor and clear disdain for Khmer's probably means the server has a word with chef to serve him the worst food they have in the hope he will never come back and darken their establishment again.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Singsling wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:42 am Kung Fu hillbilly knows zilch about food it seems.
Nor does the Michelin-starred chef who contributed to the article, right?

Where did you get your stars?
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic