Cambodian Cuisine: Asia’s most underrated?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Cuisine: Asia’s most underrated?

Post by Spigzy »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm My wife tries to give her Khmer leftovers to my dog - nahhh - she walks away in a huff.
The dog test is indeed intriguing, the mother-in-law when asked about leftovers "why not give it to the dog?" replies "It's not good for the dog" ... the dog looks at me as if to say "Thank fuck for that!". Back in the UK the dog would be into anything it could get its nose into, including baby nappies (sorry, but true), but here, the leftovers are scraped into the bin and the dog couldn't give a toss & would rather starve.

There ARE some good dishes, can't deny - and again Kravanh mentioned already probably does anything Khmer that I'd care to eat. I can manage the other stuff when on nationwide road trips, but it definitely isn't underrated, it's bloody horrible.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Great food here.
My favorite cambodian restaurant is Warung Bali.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Clemen wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:45 pm David Thompsons "Thai street food" is excellent.
The problem is that most of the food people eat on a daily basis is garbage. It doesn't have to be, there are some fantastic Cambodian recipes. Our cook makes the same six or seven dishes all the time, overcooked meat flavored with Knorr chicken powder, doesn't matter whether it's beef, pork, fish, or even chicken. It's all crap, my coworkers say it's delicious everyday. It's the same when I eat in people's houses or buy it on the street. I think they just don't care, I can't find any other explanation.
But, again, it doesn't have to be like that. One of my favorite restaurants in my hometown is Cambodian, on my first trip here I had the best red curry of my life, so good I went back the next day and ordered it again, then begged the cook for the recipe. After I went home I made it for a Cambodian themed dinner party and everyone loved it.
So the difference is what you can make vs what people do make. To quote "The Castle" "it's what you've done with it"
Yeah - I agree. there may be some hidden gems.

But what's with this bone thing??

I found this little place - advertised duck - my mind went back to succulent duck in delicious gravy - so I booked for that evening and took some people.

Wow - what i got was a smashed up road-kill - all bones with a skin of meat on each. Nooooooo.... But the Khmer love it - the bonier the better I observe. :beer3:
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 pm Great food here.
My favorite cambodian restaurant is Warung Bali.
:lol:

great food, their fried chicken is a treat I allow myself more often than I should
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:50 pm
Mishmash wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm My wife tries to give her Khmer leftovers to my dog - nahhh - she walks away in a huff.
The dog test is indeed intriguing, the mother-in-law when asked about leftovers "why not give it to the dog?" replies "It's not good for the dog" ... the dog looks at me as if to say "Thank fuck for that!". Back in the UK the dog would be into anything it could get its nose into, including baby nappies (sorry, but true), but here, the leftovers are scraped into the bin and the dog couldn't give a toss & would rather starve.

There ARE some good dishes, can't deny - and again Kravanh mentioned already probably does anything Khmer that I'd care to eat. I can manage the other stuff when on nationwide road trips, but it definitely isn't underrated, it's bloody horrible.
:lol: Yeah - sure - I trust my dog with my life.... she gives me a variety of eyes from 'wtf' to 'contempt' to 'pity me' if I try to fob her off with the khmer stuff

Oh dear...

Never mind angkorjohn and you recommend the Kravanh, so I'm taking the missus - she was kind to me by demolishing the leg of lamb in Rosemary I chose for her at a previous outing, so I'll treat the little lady in return. I'll stick to the wine menu... maybe a nibble as you have touted this place also.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

My favorite Indonesian restaurant is Warung Bali.
I agree...FTFY :beer3:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:29 pm
Oh. Really? It's not a cambodian restaurant.
In that case "NOT great food here"
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:29 pm
I get the sense SAA knew exactly what he meant and was applying some heavy tongue in cheek sarcasm about Khmer foods quality
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Their copy of a baguette is rough as fuck and destroys the roof of your mouth like sandpaper

The curry does not deserve the name - its just some heap of weak spices thrown together.

The river weeds are strawy and sinewy.

The herbs are just thrown on, instead of being properly prepared

Sucking on a lemon or lime is not good - the face of anyone doing it while claiming to enjoy it is :facepalm:

Nahhhh - old mish likes his wife's food - made just how he likes it - whatever dish I want from around the world.

My wife tries to give her Khmer leftovers to my dog - nahhh - she walks away in a huff.

And as for the articles 'breadfruit' and he's on a ship - didn't he read "Mutiny on the Bounty" - no wonder fed that crap every day. (not true I know but illustrative)
Must say I'm with you on the baguettes. Something I've wondered about as long as I've been visiting the KOW. Why are they so abrasive? Is there something cheaper than wheat flour that goes into them?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

bittermelon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:11 am Must say I'm with you on the baguettes. Something I've wondered about as long as I've been visiting the KOW. Why are they so abrasive? Is there something cheaper than wheat flour that goes into them?
They add a lot of sugar to disguise the taste of cockroaches and rats that live on the flour.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic