Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

Post by pczz »

Be very careful when taking video. A while back a video vigilante tried posting videos online of bad driving. He was politely reminded that accusing someone of bad driving and embarrassing them, especially if they happen to be rich or powerful, may result in prosecution for defamation. or, to put it another way, the authorities told him to pack it in or go to jail.
Mr RIch guy does not likevideos of him out with his mistress appearing online, or him driving home drunk
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

AzalKH wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:20 pm @ the OP, you do need to show respect to people, even on forums such as these (in your case even more so as I will explain). As pointed out, KFH gave you some positive criticism and also deflected a couple of the troll posts for you, but expressed distaste in your handling of negative criticism or sometimes just criticism that you didn't like, which I frankly can't fault him for after reading all this.

I haven't watched your video yet, but I was kinda curious in just seeing what you'd put up and to then maybe check back in a few months time and see what you've made of it. However, the manner which you have conducted yourself so far on the forum strongly dissuades me from doing so. It's so negative and entitled.

I'm assuming you're using your real name on the forum, so just what would one of this high end international schools you're referring to make of this thread when they stumble across it? They aren't going to see someone who can take criticism well and adapt, nor someone who takes conflict in a calm and controlled manner.

You'll have learnt that classroom management is a crucial part of teaching, I can confirm this after having done several years of teaching here. I can also tell you that some students will try to push their boundaries and your limits, and if you cannot handle that then you will be failing your entire class and will be failing your own goal in helping progress their English. High end schools won't tolerate that for long and in the rest you'll need that sense of accomplishment to motivate you to continue; admin / management will not give you any, or you'll soon turn into one of these aforementioned bottom feeders that don't give a shit about the job or more importantly the students.

If you are going to put yourself out there like this, then make sure you grow a thick enough skin to not demean yourself in front of everyone.
You're not missing much if you decide not to view it.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

OP - I applaud your efforts and wish you the best of success. Although I am puzzled about you starting videos about Cambodia, before going.

As the eternal traveller to the Kingdom of Wonder, I myself like to post photos and descriptions of my memorable experiences and hope the members of CEO chime in with their contributions to enrich the group.

Good luck with your endeavor.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Good Sir!

As a young man looking to move to Cambodia in the new year, I relate to how daunting it could be, and how making connections on these forums can be helpful or at the very least comforting.

I've noticed that some people are a bit jaded or sometimes can be very critical on this site, but you can't take everything someone says so seriously! Gone are the days people would get drunk and scribble a mean spirited comment on the bathroom cubical wall............ they can do it on here instead!!! Much more amusing for them I'm sure.

I'm not taking anyone's side, I actually couldn't be bothered to read paragraphs worth of bickering :facepalm:

Just wanted to spread some positiveness and say it takes a lot of guts to move to the other side of the world, and well done for trying to live your best life! Also starting a VLOG "BEFORE" you move is an interesting start to watching your opinions / experiences change over time.

Best of luck and remember to keep things positive!

Regards

Happy Chappy :D
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 pm As the eternal traveller to the Kingdom of Wonder, I myself like to post photos and descriptions of my memorable experiences
Like the time you posted your dick?
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Look what you've all done!! he's not returned since his ear bashing!

.... damn you kung fu hillbilly
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:54 pm .... damn you kung fu hillbilly
Are you for real? Did you read the thread?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:08 pm I'm beginning to suspect young James may be a few strap-ons short of a lesbian orgy.
No reflection on my part about the OP -
just awarding Kungfu an honorary PhD in Australian Literature.

Our James seems to have slipped off the Cambodian blackboard - or at least i can find no trace of him on the 'net except his first 1.1 vids.
Maybe offering sage advice about "going thru customs, visa processes...stuff like that" was not so exciting after he actually did cross the border for the first time.

Or maybe he is quietly humbled after actually arriving - "WTF ... heeelp! Can somebody please tell me WTF is going on this totally new and very strange planet i just landed on. Heeelp! I'm lost, i don't know nuthin'. Help me....pleeease..."
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

Hello everyone! i have been away for a good amount of time so i have not been able to reply to this juicy controversy as i have been spending time with family and friends over the holidays before i make my move over seas. as it turns out, planning a life change like that takes a lot of time and focus so i have not released any new youtube stuff although i have recorded a few vids.

anyway, i just read the information posted by the MOD and after checking my personal inbox again yes i did make a mistake about which user was sending me private messages. i made a post a while back in the general conversation trying to link up with like minded professionals before my move to phnom penh and received at lot of hate and criticism just for reaching out to the expat community before i arrived. i did get a couple very negative members in my private messages schooling me on how i would die in cambodia and how i should reconsider.

short story long i would like to give a genuine apology for accusing that guy of harassing me in my private messages i just made a mistake on who was who. what i wont apologize for is my initial response. i thought it was a very appropriate response, i just mimicked his exact opinion back at him (generational differences/approach) with a different flare so to say. if you are going to insult a entire generation because i want to make a youtube channel about teaching please dont cry when someone throws a little heat back your way. i think this seems like a fair expectation.

after talking with some great people here on CEO not only in the comments but also in my private inbox i have learned that there are many types of expats here that i can gain some great knowledge and insight from due to their long term experience in the region and country. i am truly grateful for that and now understand not everyone here on the forums are interested in being a resource for the community they are kinda just here to shoot the shits and cause some chaos when they are board which hey there is nothing wrong with that at all i can respect that.

so in conclusion, lesson learned. I am looking forward to more interactions with you all as i plan on being in cambodia for a couple years at least.

P.S. and i took the advice from one of the commenters to look up more no joke howard videos i actually watched a good amount of them and my opinion still stands. not a fan but i guess i have to appreciate his "realness" even after being attacked online for his videos. at least he stayed consistent i guess is the only positive i can really say about it.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:05 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:08 pm I'm beginning to suspect young James may be a few strap-ons short of a lesbian orgy.
No reflection on my part about the OP -
just awarding Kungfu an honorary PhD in Australian Literature.

Our James seems to have slipped off the Cambodian blackboard - or at least i can find no trace of him on the 'net except his first 1.1 vids.
Maybe offering sage advice about "going thru customs, visa processes...stuff like that" was not so exciting after he actually did cross the border for the first time.

Or maybe he is quietly humbled after actually arriving - "WTF ... heeelp! Can somebody please tell me WTF is going on this totally new and very strange planet i just landed on. Heeelp! I'm lost, i don't know nuthin'. Help me....pleeease..."
i have traveled quite a bit in south east asia already im not very worried about finding my way around in phnom penh, if you read my posts you would have known that already. plus khmer is very easy to learn for me i have a pretty good understanding on sentence structure and pronunciation as well as vocabulary. from talking with people here on CEO it seems not a lot of expats take the time to learn khmer so i can understand why people would think its hard to communicate or get around. i appreciate your concern though :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic