On Ya Bike! The Cycling Thread.

Title says it all really...
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: On Ya Bike! The Cycling Thread.

Post by one_dolla »

I gave you an answer in ine of the 4 PM's you sent. For anyone else reading this pull up google maps Kampot and look for mountain bike repair its on there.. I doubt the guy has a cassette removal tool but he will likely be able to get it off without damage anyway..
I have a friend who has one but he is out of the country for another 2 months or so...otherwise I'd take it off for you.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Rama wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm I'm selling my endurance road bike.
Specialized Roubaix Elite.
https://imggmi.com/full/2019/11/12/4d01 ... l.jpg.html
I may be intereste but can't see anything...prices?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

National Mountain Cycling 2020 to Begin in September
AKP Phnom Penh, May 20, 2020 --
Cambodia will kick-start the national mountain cycling championship 2020 in September, according to Cambodian Cycling Federation.

The update was shared on Monday by Mr. Nou Chamroeun, the federation’s secretary general, adding that the event intends to identify the best cyclists to join international events, including the forthcoming SEA Games.

The tournament will divide into three stages, wherein the first stage will be organised at Cheal Mountain court in Kampong Speu province in September.
The second stage will take place at Kep provincial Park in November and the third will happen at the peak of Kirirom mountain of Kampong Speu province in December.

The challenge is organised annually at the beginning of the year, but the federation suspended this year’s event due to COVID-19 crisis.

Article in Khmer by Heng Nalin
Article in English by Lim Nary

https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/31725
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh cycle trip:

Cycling in Cambodia: what a bike trip to Phnom Penh’s newest tourist attraction reveals about how lives in the capital are changing
The new US$12 million Win-Win Memorial in the capital’s north provides an enticing destination for one Phnom Penh resident fresh off self-imposed isolation
Relentless development means modest village areas where children still play by river banks may not survive much longer

Peter Ford
Updated: 10:18am, 1 Jun, 2020
29 May 2020

A bicycle ride in Cambodia is guaranteed to offer the following: waving children shouting hello, boys on bikes too big for them trying to race you, dusty tracks past dusty fields, and someone selling cold Coca Cola and Carabao from a large red cooler.

On a recent ride, however, anti-Covid-19 scarecrows – a traditional rural response to sickness, using old clothing stuffed with straw to resemble people (some even with plastic guns for extra menace) – hung outside houses to ward off the virus. The lack of face masks and social distancing, however, suggests the people in Cambodia do not feel too threatened.

Earlier this month, as my self-imposed isolation was coming to an end, I yearned to escape the four walls of my flat and once again see life outside Phnom Penh. A cycle ride from the heart of the capital, an ever-growing city of 2 million people, through its rural suburbs and eventually leaving the city behind would be the perfect opportunity to once again stretch my legs, get my too-clean bike dusty and explore the different sides of Cambodian life.

I decided to mark my first adventure out of the city in two months by cycling 20km (12 miles) to see the latest addition to Phnom Penh’s list of tourist attractions: the US$12 million Win-Win Memorial commemorating the actions (and myths) of Prime Minister HE – the man who finally brought an end to the murderous Khmer Rouge guerillas.
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-l ... st-tourist
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cycling to Commemorates the Historical Journey Leading to the Overthrow of Pol Pot Genocidal Regime
AKP Phnom Penh, June 19, 2020 —
A group of more than 200 cyclists depart from Win-Win Memorial in Phnom Penh this morning to Thbong Khmum province to mark the 43rd Commemoration Day of Historic Journey Leading to the Overthrow of Pol Pot Genocidal Regime.
Photo: Yim Sovathana

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Strongsoul
Tourist

Post by Strongsoul »

Wow!
Nice thread. I was like a professional biker several years ago, by this moment I don't ride cycle and that's a pity.
Your thread inspired me to start biking again.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

In Siem Reap, locals take to two wheels to escape virus monotony
As the trails of Temple Town are freed from hoards of tourists, out-of-work and exercise-starved locals are reclaiming Siem Reap's once-crowded tarmac and taking to two wheels to escape the virus monotony
Brian Badzmierowski
June 29, 2020
As the sun begins to set in Siem Reap, cyclists across town strap on their helmets, hop in their saddles and head for Angkor, the ancient capital of the Khmer Empire.

From downtown, it’s a five kilometre cruise on smooth tarmac flanked by lush forest to the southern edge of the moat surrounding Angkor Wat – the most famous of the temple complexes housed within Angkor Archaeological Park, emblazoned on Cambodia’s flag.

Normally, the park would be filled with tourists attempting to capture the perfect sunset picture, but since the coronavirus swept through Siem Reap, the ancient monument has fallen silent. According to Angkor Enterprise, this May the park welcomed 1,776 foreign visitors, a 99% decrease on May 2019.

The rattle of tuk tuks and tourists has disappeared, replaced with eerie stretches of silence broken by birdsong, the alien-like hum of insects and tyres crunching over gravel. Aside from temporary bouts of heavy rain, the cycling conditions are perfect, and local cyclists have become the park’s most regular visitors.

Families on group rides ride in single file, stopping for breaks to marvel at the large groups of monkeys gathered on green patches alongside the road. Full-fledged cycling converts with sleek bikes, new tights, and scuff-free helmets test themselves on their new machines, heads down and legs pumping. Fearless teens pop wheelies for hundreds of metres, backdropped by the famous three towers of Angkor Wat.

Back in town, as the last shred of light disappears and darkness envelops Siem Reap, Roeun Sophorn, known locally as Bobo, stands outside his bike shop, Angkor Cycling Tour, waiting for cyclists to return their rentals. While many business owners in Siem Reap are wondering if they will be able to survive the pandemic, Bobo has seen an uptick in bike sales.

Before the virus, he says people didn’t have time to dedicate to cycling – they worked during the week and saved the weekends for shopping and relaxing. At this time, Bobo sold two to three bikes per day.

The turning point came around Khmer New Year in mid-April. Gradually, people’s fear of Covid-19 receded and they started emerging from their homes. With gyms closed and contact sports like football discouraged, those looking for exercise turned to cycling, Bobo says. Soon he was selling four to five bikes per day.
Full article: https://southeastasiaglobe.com/cycling-siem-reap/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Being locked down in OZ with nothing to do , yesterday I decided to look at buying a bike so I could venture farther afield from home. The local bike shop usually has between 200 and 300 bikes for sale ,, so the shop owner tells me , but he could not even show me one mans bike in his shop to sell to me. On display were about a dozen kids bikes.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:05 am Being locked down in OZ with nothing to do , yesterday I decided to look at buying a bike so I could venture farther afield from home. The local bike shop usually has between 200 and 300 bikes for sale ,, so the shop owner tells me , but he could not even show me one mans bike in his shop to sell to me. On display were about a dozen kids bikes.
Did you get a shock at the prices and probably none in stock as they all come from china, my mum had problem on Sunday in NZ buying a TV had to settle for display model.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

atst wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:03 am
Duncan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:05 am Being locked down in OZ with nothing to do , yesterday I decided to look at buying a bike so I could venture farther afield from home. The local bike shop usually has between 200 and 300 bikes for sale ,, so the shop owner tells me , but he could not even show me one mans bike in his shop to sell to me. On display were about a dozen kids bikes.
Did you get a shock at the prices and probably none in stock as they all come from china, my mum had problem on Sunday in NZ buying a TV had to settle for display model.
No good looking at the price if there is nothing to buy.
Went to Office Works , last week to buy a Scanner / Printer and the only ones I wanted were '' Out of stock, On Order .
Went to several places that sell kitchen ware last week, Looking for a 4 litre '' whistling kettle '' to put on a gas stove . Nothing available except 2.5
Went to Supermarkets and Pharmacies a month ago looking for ''wooden toothpicks '' Nothing available. Finally got some at a ''One Dollar shop'', Made in China cause they are too complicated for Australians to make.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic