French Lycée Descartes teachers go on strike. Guess why!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

French Lycée Descartes teachers go on strike. Guess why!

Post by Bibi »

Here is the article (in French):
https://lepetitjournal.com/cambodge/edu ... bre-267710

So, the story is that a new PD teacher was recruited last September. After a few weeks of teaching, 8 female students aged 14 to 17 complained that the guy had an inappropriate attitude with them. The school management immediately stopped his employment contract, which was the only reasonable thing to do, right?

And now his colleagues go on strike because they disagree with the management decision. They claim that the school doesn't have enough proof that teacher' attitude was really that bad. WTF? Shouldn't child protection be the first priority in such international schools?! I know a few parents who have their kids at Lycée Descartes who are shocked by the strike reasons.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: French Lycée Descartes teachers go on strike. Guess why!

Post by Spigzy »

They're French. Surely it isn't a case of guess why they are on strike, it should be a question of "Why were they ever at work in the first place?!"
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:33 pm They're French. Surely it isn't a case of guess why they are on strike, it should be a question of "Why were they ever at work in the first place?!"
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Apparently the strike is conducted by French unions ... Guys, French unions are in Phnom Penh bs get prepared for some yellow vest demonstration soon! :protest:
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Bibi wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:30 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:33 pm They're French. Surely it isn't a case of guess why they are on strike, it should be a question of "Why were they ever at work in the first place?!"
Apparently the strike is conducted by French unions ... Guys, French unions are in Phnom Penh bs get prepared for some yellow vest demonstration soon! :protest:
If the teacher would only remember to wear pants to class, there would be no problem.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

After a few weeks of teaching, 8 female students aged 14 to 17 complained that the guy had an inappropriate attitude with them.
What an "inappropriate attitude"is is not defined here. It's easy to assume that it was because he was a drooling lecherous pig but it's more likely about him not being respectful enough to them when they were caught cheating or some other nonsense.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Bibi wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 am Here is the article (in French):
https://lepetitjournal.com/cambodge/edu ... bre-267710

So, the story is that a new PD teacher was recruited last September. After a few weeks of teaching, 8 female students aged 14 to 17 complained that the guy had an inappropriate attitude with them. The school management immediately stopped his employment contract, which was the only reasonable thing to do, right?

And now his colleagues go on strike because they disagree with the management decision. They claim that the school doesn't have enough proof that teacher' attitude was really that bad. WTF? Shouldn't child protection be the first priority in such international schools?! I know a few parents who have their kids at Lycée Descartes who are shocked by the strike reasons.
My friend, I work in a girl's senior school (11-18 years old). Safeguarding and child protection is at the very top of everyone's list. I am checked and approved by a very tough government protocol that allows me to work with children (male or female) or anyone that may be considered at-risk from adult influence. In this sense, I can tell you that it is not easy to work with some children. Only today, I had a child (I'm guessing she was 13-15 years old) who took exception to the fact that she couldn't afford to pay for the things she had selected for her lunch. They have credit accounts that their parents put money on to to feed them. She didn't have enough money for everything that she chose.

She actually called me a "fucking idiot" for enforcing a simple policy. Of course, I called her out on her language, and attitude towards a member of staff and asked her if she would speak to her mother or father that way. She rolled her eyes and simply said, "Jeeeeeeeezus Christ". I then said that he had nothing to do with her being unable to pay for everything. Her response was that she should "get it free, because...". That was the sum total of her 'argument'.

It is also possible, that when I go back to work tomorrow, I may be called in by the safeguarding and child-protection team, because MY behaviour might be considered "unacceptable". I shall do one of two things. That will be to a) defend my actions as appropriate and b) tell them to go fuck themselves if they think otherwise.

Things are never as clear-cut as we all might think on face-value. It is very easy for the adult to be impugned unfairly very quickly. The burden of proof seems to be upon the adult, not the child. So, as an example, adult "flunks a kid or two", and all of a sudden he's "inappropriate"????

If the guy has done anything inappropriate, I'll be the first person to call for his head. Experience teaches me that there are always two sides to a story, and that the strike might not be without merit, until such tome that we have far more facts and evidence.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:37 am
After a few weeks of teaching, 8 female students aged 14 to 17 complained that the guy had an inappropriate attitude with them.
What an "inappropriate attitude"is is not defined here. It's easy to assume that it was because he was a drooling lecherous pig but it's more likely about him not being respectful enough to them when they were caught cheating or some other nonsense.
JB, thank you. See my comment above.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two comments under the article linked to above; the first one is from a striking staff member :
[Rough translations]
I wish to reply to the article posted on 30 October 2019 about the present protest movement at the Lycée Français René Descartes. I consider that your article does not tell the whole story and gives a one-sided view of events. I would like to point out that the school authorities informed our colleague of the students' accusations against him, and then fired him the next day without giving him the chance to talk to the students or the families concerned. He was not given a fair hearing, or a chance to defend himself. His contract was terminated ten days later without any form of trial or investigation into events. I deplore this situation.
The second comment supports the school's judgement:
Given the accusations here, (pedophilia, because no one wants to say it), it is normal and correct procedure to immediately suspend the accused staff member, and all the more so, because in this case the person was on a trial contract. I hope that the police will do their job.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic