Best Travel Insurance?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Best Travel Insurance?

Post by HappyChappy »

Hello all!

I'm excitedly moving to Cambodia in December / Jan, one of my main priorities is finding the most cost effective source of necessities. The first that springs to mind is travel insurance, I've seen people suggest cover for travel to hospitals in neighbouring countries but I feel that's a bit excessive. Is there a good cover that would see me well looked after in local hospitals that doesn't break the bank???

Thanks in advance for your advise. This has been my goal for over two years and it's all a bit daunting now its nearing a close!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Best Travel Insurance?

Post by bittermelon »

Hi, I've been going with Zoom for the last few years. Pretty sure I checked it on the reviews and it scored o.k. Was the cheapest- but in a way that made sense rather than implying it was dodgy. you can opt for a stripped down medical cover only cover. Makes sense to me as i don't travel with any gear that would be worth claiming for if it got nicked, and I imagine that this cover- and the fraud that goes with it- guys going broke in Pp and then claiming for their $2000 camera- is a massive cost for these companies. The most important feature I.M.O is medical evacuation, and Zoom has this. Also be aware that sometimes (or often) you need to pay upfront in hospitals and claim back later from the insurance company.
Personally, if i was crook or injured but was still able to travel I'd get to Bangkok as quick as I could.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Travel insurance is for travelers not expats. You can get away with using it for a year, maybe two, but after that you're at the risk of making a claim and being declined and ending up shit creek. Expat insurance costs 2-3 times as much. Why I have no idea.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 pm Travel insurance is for travelers not expats. You can get away with using it for a year, maybe two, but after that you're at the risk of making a claim and being declined and ending up shit creek. Expat insurance costs 2-3 times as much. Why I have no idea.
I'd like to know the answer to that one, must be because of higher perceived risk of illness/ injury or higher cost of the same?
I guess if you are from a country with that goddamn communist idea that health care for citizens is a right not a privilege they can figure on medivacing you home as the max potential cost. But i think I have read Brits say here that this right expires after time away.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

If I were to guess it's because travel insurance will medevac you to your country of residence and drop you like a hot potato, whereas maybe expat insurance is obligated to pay for your care ongoing in your chosen country? Just a theory. I'd be happy with an emergency only medevac policy but no-one seems to offer it.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 pm Travel insurance is for travelers not expats. You can get away with using it for a year, maybe two, but after that you're at the risk of making a claim and being declined and ending up shit creek. Expat insurance costs 2-3 times as much. Why I have no idea.
I've always assumed it's because travel insurance only covers you for the basics. For anything that needs extended care, they will simply pay for you to be repatriated and you can sort it out yourself there. Whereas with expat insurance, you're covered for a lot more, especially long term illnesses, which they'll pay for you to be treated at your current residence. As the term suggests, expats have officially moved from their native countries and therefore wouldn't have any reason to be treated there, whereas travelers are just, well, travelling....
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:23 pm Hello all!

I'm excitedly moving to Cambodia in December / Jan, one of my main priorities is finding the most cost effective source of necessities. The first that springs to mind is travel insurance, I've seen people suggest cover for travel to hospitals in neighbouring countries but I feel that's a bit excessive. Is there a good cover that would see me well looked after in local hospitals that doesn't break the bank???

Thanks in advance for your advise. This has been my goal for over two years and it's all a bit daunting now its nearing a close!
It's excessive until it's not, the medical facilities and training aren't the best in Cambodia, in the early 2000s they were ranked about 174/191 by the WHO (give or take) and I don't think much has changed regarding the rank. Consider the cost paying to keep your health, not having to use travel insurance for health reasons is always better than having to use it for health reasons.

Also, remember that it'll never happen to you until it happens to you.

Hindsight is 20/20, foresight is 20/10.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 pm Travel insurance is for travelers not expats. You can get away with using it for a year, maybe two, but after that you're at the risk of making a claim and being declined and ending up shit creek.
xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 pm Whereas with expat insurance...........As the term suggests, expats have officially moved from their native countries and therefore wouldn't have any reason to be treated there, whereas travelers are just, well, travelling....
Just on the point of when does a traveller become an expat, from what I've been able to glean from my travel insurance policy is that you are eligible provided you can prove you are still a resident of your home country.

However if for example, one spends most of the time in Cambodia but travels back and forth that then raises the issue as to whether they are still defined as a resident or not. In Australia, my understanding according to research on the Taxation Office website indicates that the definition of whether you are a resident or not depends on the following factors:

how much time you spend overseas
whether you intend to return or not

With the latter, if you sold off everything ie house, car etc and made permanent plans in Cambodia (like buying a property) that would indicate no intention to return. However, let's say you kept your house (and especially if you didn't rent it out), car, paid rates/electricity, maintain Medicare card, bank accounts etc that would not constitute being non resident..even if you spent a large % of 365 days in a year overseas.

And provided every time you travel back to your home country and activate the travel insurance prior to each trip then you are still eligible for travel insurance as you are still 'officially' an Australian resident. I contacted the insurer to verify this and got this reply:
To confirm, to be eligible for the xxxx bank complimentary insurance an eligible cardholder must reside in Australia and activate a policy prior to travel.

In the event of a claim, our claims team would ask to see proof of your residency in Australia. This can usually be done by providing a copy of your rates or utility bills with the eligible cardholders name on it.

Providing you can provide the above in the event of a claim along with the certificate of insurance to show you have activated a policy you will be eligible for all of the benefits under the policy.
Has anybody else had experience with scenarios like this coz as timmydownawell says you wouldn't want your claim to be denied.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I think you have to still have a permanent residential address in your country of origin. As my first year World Nomads policy was running out I called them and they said one year was the maximum, but I could purchase a new one. The chick seemed unconcerned I had been out of the country for a year. But then like most insurance companies they're probably happy to take your money and deny you cover when you need it. So my advice is to read the contract carefully. No point in paying for something that could be worthless.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Must Forte stickers be placed on car?

Post by pczz »

This really is small beans. Read your holiday insurance t&C properly and weep. Full of really dirty tricks.
You are covered for $400 for phone , Ipad, laptop per event. i fa ll three are stolen at same time you only get to claim 400 as opposed to 1200 if each one is stolen seperatley.
You are only covered for public hospitals unless agreed by them in case the public hospital does not have facilities
You are not covered for translators
You are not covered for food and drink in hopsital
You are not covered for items like walking sticks and crutches
You are not covered if you have been drinking or taking drugs
You are only covered for repatriation to the nearest country that can deal with your injuries. After being evaced to thailand you will be left to die when your cover runs out!
The nasty suprises go on and on and vary from company to company. God help you if you have any pre-existing conditiosn, whetehr you know about them or not. Its a nightmare. i would happliy be required to put a sticker on my bum
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic