Foreign Car Driver Attempts Hit and Run in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foreign Car Driver Attempts Hit and Run in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On October 27, at 10:33 pm, there was a traffic accident on Preah Norodom road, in Phnom Penh,where an unidentified male foreign driver hit a motorcycle with his Lexus, plated PP 2AA-3365.

After the accident, which injured the motorbike driver, the foreigner attempted to drive away from the accident scene, leaving the injured man on the road. However, the car was stopped on street 21.
The injured motorcyclist was sent to the hospital.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Foreign Car Driver Attempts Hit and Run in Phnom Penh

Post by King Keil »

Wonder who the scumbag is calling. His mother in india?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

That's some impact crater

I HAVE noticed persistently that it's always "The Foreigner Hits"

Is this true - we are all bad drivers (worse than Khmer) or just the Khmer thing (if he hadn't been in Cambodia in the first place this would never have happened)

What are the posters opinions.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:40 pm That's some impact crater

I HAVE noticed persistently that it's always "The Foreigner Hits"

Is this true - we are all bad drivers (worse than Khmer) or just the Khmer thing (if he hadn't been in Cambodia in the first place this would never have happened)

What are the posters opinions.
I think it's more a question of "person in big car hits small person on motorbike." Big person/car gets the blame, ie. the person who can most afford it gets to pay for the accident. News items routinely say something like " the car driver paid $100-200 to put an end to the argument", in Khmer-Khmer traffic accidents. To me, that always sounds like a pay-off to avoid hassle. As barangs, we are probably considered to be richer than whoever runs into us.
:licker: That's my theory anyway. TIC, so you are expected to pay up if you have more money and/or higher social status. It gives you face and probably some Buddhist merit points.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:53 pm
I think it's more a question of "person in big car hits small person on motorbike." Big person/car gets the blame, ie. the person who can most afford it gets to pay for the accident. News items routinely say something like " the car driver paid $100-200 to put an end to the argument", in Khmer-Khmer traffic accidents. To me, that always sounds like a pay-off to avoid hassle. As barangs, we are probably considered to be richer than whoever runs into us.
:licker: That's my theory anyway. TIC, so you are expected to pay up if you have more money and/or higher social status. It gives you face and probably some Buddhist merit points.
Good post..

I did have couple of incidents.

I was parked up sat on my moto with my missus.

We saw a drunken cop staggering onto his moto, who then sparked it up and kind of weavingly drove into us like some slow motion nightmare and fell down.

The comedy of it is permanently etched in my brain.

It cost me $10 to avoid 'a scene'

The second one was a bit more serious.

I was overtaking a motodop who was carrying three monks in the rightmost lane on 2004 when he decided to take a left turn right into me.

They all fell down. I stayed on.

Next was a grand eruption as the inevitable crowd drew and the guy wanting to fight. The monks sensibly fucked off.

I called my mates at the base and they all came steaming out followed by the cops.

I paid 30$ to avoid the scene on the advice of my friends and was told the money would be sent back to me next day.

Next day, the cops visited his house on the quiet and a letter apologizing and 30$ inside arrived at my desk.

Good results all round I think.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic