How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RandyN
BANNED

How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by RandyN »

I've been with my girlfriend for four years. When I met her she was 45 kilos, now she is 55.

I think she has gained weight because we eat at restaurants and she now has pocket money that she spends at Brown coffee and pizza company.

She thinks her weight gain is great. She thinks being fat is "good" or "sart." Is this normal? Do most Cambodian women want to be thin or want to be fat?

How do I get her to stop eating unhealthy food and start exercising and making an effort to lose weight?
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

There is usually no going back from that. Probably best to go nuclear and tell her straight that she's a disgusting fat mess and you don't find her attractive any more. Good luck.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

RandyN wrote:I've been with my girlfriend for four years. When I met her she was 45 kilos, now she is 55.

I think she has gained weight because we eat at restaurants and she now has pocket money that she spends at Brown coffee and pizza company.

She thinks her weight gain is great. She thinks being fat is "good" or "sart." Is this normal? Do most Cambodian women want to be thin or want to be fat?

How do I get her to stop eating unhealthy food and start exercising and making an effort to lose weight?
Happened to a friend. 48kg to 56kg and clearly it wasn’t slowing down. He paid her a high end gym membership for her to socialize with new friends, do yoga classes and Pilates and that kind of things.
She didn’t eat less, actually making new friends induced more Starbucks and Brown coffee breaks, and girls tend to go out to eat something after the gym.
But she became weight conscious, and with everyone focusing on a slim body it naturally became her goal too, so doing fitness everyday to shape her body became a normal routine.
Today, you are the one telling her to lose weight. Imagine if instead of you, it’s a bunch of friends she meet everyday at the gym, with that exact same goal of controlling weight and building a beach body.
Think about it.
Oh, and it works only if it’s a premium high end gym with classes all day. Make her thrilled to join an expensive place and make friends for whom money is not an issue.

True and actual story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

RandyN wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:46 am
Mrs Cargo reckons many khmer men consider skinny, scrawny girls as unhealthy. Her mother wants her to put on a bit of weight whereas I don't...tug of war. So there might be some truth in what she's saying. Maybe it's an old traditional thing that if you have a bit of meat on you then that means you have $$ to eat. :mrgreen:
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

:evil6: It is cultural and common aroundgthe world in Poor Countries...finding another "skinny" g.f. maybe your best option...look at their Mamas to get an idea of what you may be looking at laters.
~
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I would fat-shame her on an internet forum and then screenshot and print the post, take it to her and say "this is really a crazy question for a guy who loves his woman, what do you think dear?" I would also use a fictitious first name for my profile in case she was hurt and offended by my asking total strangers the best way to make my partner of 4 years do as I wished rather than what she wanted.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, if all this fails take her to a reputable Khmer doc, and let doc explain the risks of gaining wait. Diabetes is a serious fear for loads of Cambodians, so an explanation of some consequences in the long run might change the way she looks at it. Many Cambodian know someone suffering from diabetes and are aware of the consequences. In Khmer they call it 'sweet urine', tuk noom p'aim, or sweet urine disease (the short version does the trick though...).

But @Clutchcargo is correct, there's some gaining face if you gain weight, it shows you have enough money to buy the food and not having to do heavy labor. But there's a limit to it, Khmer girls definitely don't want to gain too much but reversing the process is extremely difficult (they're often not aware of this) due to the way the human body has evolved over time.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Nothing a bit of sexercise won't cure..

10kg might take you some effort though bro...

Enjoy.

For perspective - you could have married a land-whale.

Last edited by Mishmash on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

#1 weight loss tip in the Kingdom of Blunder - reduce alcohol intake to maximum once per week; a lot of folks just don't give their body time to recover and remove what is effectively a poison; anything else like the pizza, rice, noodles or whatever then just get stored for processing later - when you're drinking every other day or daily, that "later" becomes never.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

wtf is wrong with people's idea of beauty. 55 kilos? Call Weight Watches or Jenny Craig. These skinny girls get me sick. Everytime I see a thick'um, it's such a delight.

Skinny girls is for white guys with small dicks, once their girl gets a little meat on them, their inadequacy in the sheets leaves them feeling, well- inadequate.

If you don't want her, pass her along. Although my wife is very jealous.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic