How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Isaanbarang »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:13 pm
Isaanbarang wrote::smileinbox: hi
Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:32 pm
Isaanbarang wrote:
Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:16 am

What’s wrong with salt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First I need to preface my reply by stating that I am not a Dr. though I did have a reoccurring role playing one on the hit TV series G.P. in the early 90"s. The sodium/weight connection is three fold, the first is salty foods tend to increase thirst, secondly, sodium intake increases water retention and finally a high sodium diet affects the fat cells making them bigger. I also briefly played a na AL officer in the series Sea Patrol and would be happy to answer a y questions regarding the HMAS Hammersley if you have any.
Thank you for your explanation. Personally I found salt to have a lot of benefit but I’m not a doctor either and I have a special diet

Nicholas, what are the benefits you speak of? The daily recommended intake of sodium is 1,500mg with most Australians having an intake of 2,300mg. Sodium is naturally in certain foods including milk, celery and beets. I was not advocating a salt free diet, just limiting it to a reasonable amount. You may remember episode 19 of G. P. when I diagnosed a patient with salt deficiency, her symptoms included muscle cramps, naseau and dizziness. That was one of my prouder TV moments, I still have the tongue depressed I used that day. Again any further medical questions would be welcome. There were 319 episodes of G. P. and I ended up with a fairly broad range of medical understanding. Cheers mate
Salt gives me some incredible pump and energy before a workout. I don’t know how it works, maybe it increases my blood pressure or keep the minerals in the muscles, I really don’t know, but damn I really feel good.
And when I get a headache while on a low carb or no carb diet, a teaspoon of salt will stop it in less than 20min. I think it has something to do with helping ketones through the brain membrane or something.
But that’s my personal experience and I’m maybe harming myself without knowing it.

I would love to see the episode 19 of G. P. where you diagnosed a patient with salt deficiency. I don’t think I’ll find it on Netflix which is a shame. Please share a YouTube link.

Thank you so much for your interest in the series G. P.
Yes salt increases the blood pressure giving you the boost you speak of. Unfortunately it also strains the heart, brain and kidney and can lead to a stroke or heart attack. This is why it is best to speak with someone who has medical training prior to using a home remedy. I would be happy of course to share my knowledge with you.
G. P. Was n amazingly successful series on ABC in Australia for 8 glorious seasons. There is a limited presence on YouTube, 29 episodes I believe, that have been archived by Tony Lee-Nguyen our fan club asst VP.
I have asked ABC many times to provide a boxed set of the full series but these request have fallen on deaf ears. Doctor Doctor on the Nine Network seems to get all the praise now but back in the day we dealt with real issues unlike today's erectile dysfunction and gender dysphoria. A simple Google search or YouTube search will provide you with hours of educated informative TV watching. G. P. AUSTRALIAN TV would be the proper search term. Again please feel free to ask any questions concerning your health but remember it was a TV show from the late 80,'s thru mid 90s so sexual or gay related issues are topics we never discussed. Thanks again and if you really find the series captivating, we did after all win a Logie award, producer Harvey Stone wrote a rell all book and I would be happy to autograph it for you. Cheers Mate
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

hello, the most difficult for Asian is to stop eating rice (as it might be difficult for foreigners to quit bread and pasta).
Carbs are totally useless for the body, we only need protein and nutrients.
Anybody who cut carbs and sugar (carbs are sugar) will automatically lose weight.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I have a friend who is 37 kg. She is about average height for a Cambodian girl, but very skinny. If I had a wife like this, I would be worried about breaking her bones. She seems so fragile.
Ex wife #2 (Thai) weighed 33 Kg. Mind you, she was about as tall as a short midget. 15 years on and her weight is the same. (15 years on and my weight has dropped by 10 Kg).

I teach Science , nutrition, human digestion etc to high school students. As such, I have a pretty good knowledge of the processes of energy-in-energy-out etc of us humans. Even with those (few) people who have thyroid problems, and gain weight very easily, the same equation ALWAYS applies ==> eat more calories than you burn (in living and exercise etc), and you WILL gain weight. Consume fewer calories than you burn and you WILL lose weight. Simple as that!

Of course, in order to successfully lose weight, you need to want to lose weight AND have the will-power and self-control and knowledge to avoid the shite food that's full of excessive calories. Seems most overweight people are somewhat lacking in one or more of those requirements...
I'll refrain from commenting on that absurd statement - it's off-topic for this thread...
Smoking Joe Conrad
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Smoking Joe Conrad »

I have been going to gym for 7 months now in order to lose weight. I am the fittest in years and feel so much better, mentally as well as physically.

My body has noticeably changed shape but I have only lost 4 kg. I am assuming muscle weighs more than fat. ?

I haven’t altered my diet and still drink 1 or 2 beers every night and a bag of peanuts. I also eat a chocolate bar once a week .

If I cut that would it make a significant difference?
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

jubo2 wrote:hello, the most difficult for Asian is to stop eating rice (as it might be difficult for foreigners to quit bread and pasta).
Anybody who cut carbs and sugar (carbs are sugar) will automatically lose weight.
True but very simplified.
The brain need carbs but the body can create this small amount of carbs, so actually we can live without eating a gram of carbs.
Cutting carbs is not enough to lose weight If you overcompensate with too much proteins. But I understand what you mean and agree with you: carbs are most of the time the root of the problem and a low carb diet is generally a solid base to start losing fat.

Regarding Asians, the overweight issue is more about the increase of consumption of junk packed food, sweets and sodas than plain rice.

Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Smoking Joe Conrad wrote:I have been going to gym for 7 months now in order to lose weight. I am the fittest in years and feel so much better, mentally as well as physically.

My body has noticeably changed shape but I have only lost 4 kg. I am assuming muscle weighs more than fat. ?

I haven’t altered my diet and still drink 1 or 2 beers every night and a bag of peanuts. I also eat a chocolate bar once a week .

My two cents. Gym will not make you significantly lose weight. This said, it’s important to go to the gym to lose the right weight (fat) instead of a fair amount of muscle tissues. And without saying all the benefits of having a stronger and healthier body.

If you are overweight, it’s because your body is storing fat as energy for later use, and you are never in the conditions to use that stored energy.
So basically you have two problems on hand, the first one is to cut the extra supply of food/calories to stop increasing your fat reserves. This is what you started doing by cutting drinks and some food.

The second problem is to use the fat reserves as primary energy fuel. There are a few ways to do this, ways much more efficient than burning a few hundreds extra calories at the gym.

What is your diet and actual weight/size/age?

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

simon43 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:02 pm
I have a friend who is 37 kg. She is about average height for a Cambodian girl, but very skinny. If I had a wife like this, I would be worried about breaking her bones. She seems so fragile.
Ex wife #2 (Thai) weighed 33 Kg. Mind you, she was about as tall as a short midget. 15 years on and her weight is the same. (15 years on and my weight has dropped by 10 Kg).
Because I am taller than the average European, I tend to be attracted to taller Asian girls. Some are just too small for larger men.
Last edited by explorer on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Smoking Joe Conrad wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:39 am I have been going to gym for 7 months now in order to lose weight. I am the fittest in years and feel so much better, mentally as well as physically.

It is likely to. But nobody can say for sure. Why don't you try it and let us know.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Somebody could start a fitness club in Phnom Penh, for those who want to get together with others and share ideas.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I have lost 7 kgs in 9 weeks now. 2 glasses of wine a day, no sugar, only a sandwich for lunch, normal evening meal. No breakfast.
No exercise at all.

It is not that difficult.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic