Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap

Post by Mishmash »

The evidence is a bit thin on the ground.

All credit to the OP, but maybe a sense of proportion is due.

If I passed this along to my friends,sadly it would be buried under a mountain of paperwork regarding murders rapes drugs street robberies factory robberies moto robberies hit and runs road accidents triads voip scammers and the odd westerner who had lost the plot.
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

Bedazzler! wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 pm
CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 pm
Bedazzler! wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 pm I have, in the past, in other countries, been approached on the street by locals who are "fund raising" and who show me a sheet with names of other Westerners and amounts donated.

I usually just tell them to fuck off rather than starting a man hunt for them and offering a reward for their arrest.
Of course I could have done that here - but that's not my style! I want to make the world a little better and protect good faith tourists from such people by warning them and at least trying to pull those people out of circulation. That's how I was raised and that was my daily job for many years. That's why I take that step and think it's the right one. With about 60 victims in just 2 months, this is a professional criminal and for me at least not a small fish. And as for the reward, no matter - that's worth it to me and I can afford it!!! So I hope you understand this way...
How do you know all those sixty people named on the sheet exist and donated money?

You called the police to say "Man walking around with piece of paper listing names and numbers"?
Do you actually read and understand my and her written comments? So the name list is about 60 different names written in 60 different spellings and partly with different pens. Of course I do not know if all of those 60 people actually exist - but do they know if the earth is not a disk after all ??? Please refrain from such comments with me - THANK YOU !!!
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 pm The evidence is a bit thin on the ground.

If I passed this along to my friends,sadly it would be buried under a mountain of paperwork regarding murders rapes drugs street robberies factory robberies moto robberies hit and runs road accidents triads voip scammers and the odd westerner who had lost the plot.
Then it's good that I have these kind of friends with the police here, who also take care of such from your point of view meaningless cases. Luckily, here in Cambodia, not everything is always a serious crime of violence or an escape accident, we do not have to discuss it - of course I agree with them! Nevertheless, I try these people - as well as all the murderers, rapists, child molesters, robbers, drug-dealers and pedophiles from the market.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:40 am
Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 pm The evidence is a bit thin on the ground.

Then it's good that I have these kind of friends with the police here, who also take care of such from your point of view meaningless cases. Luckily, here in Cambodia, not everything is always a serious crime of violence or an escape accident, we do not have to discuss it - of course I agree with them! Nevertheless, I try these people - as well as all the murderers, rapists, child molesters, robbers, drug-dealers and pedophiles from the market.
I agree - it would be great and it's good that you make an effort to bring Justice.

I apologize if you think I called your case meaningless.

My particular Khan is stretched to the limit. It's rough - 1 or 2 murders a week and all the other stuff you mention.

For less serious stuff the Commune Chief has a few men who he assigns for this type of task. They are quite active and helpful.

The word is also out on CEO thanks to you and maybe someone will see the bike on their daily routines.

Let's be patient and see.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Mishmash wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:53 am
CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:40 am

I agree - it would be great and it's good that you make an effort to bring Justice.

I apologize if you think I called your case meaningless.

My particular Khan is stretched to the limit. It's rough - 1 or 2 murders a week and all the other stuff you mention.

For less serious stuff the Commune Chief has a few men who he assigns for this type of task. They are quite active and helpful.

The word is also out on CEO thanks to you and maybe someone will see the bike on their daily routines.

Let's be patient and see.
Jeez mishmash where the hell do you live? sounds like you need to move to a better neighborhood sir :beer3:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned up some posts. On topic please. OP is helping to warn others of similar scams.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:45 pm
Jeez mishmash where the hell do you live? sounds like you need to move to a better neighborhood sir :beer3:
The famous Khan Porsenchey.

Even though we have 2 military bases and quite a large contingent of police and gendarmes, the territory is fairly large, and the main focus is along the airport road.

Most stuff goes unreported in the main press.

There are many unlit lonely roads, outlying villages and isolated properties.

Highway banditry is rife - it is not wise to travel alone at night but many do, resulting in unfortunate circumstances.

Also the usual local disputes which go downhill rapidly.

Night patrols have been increased, to their credit, which has led to many arrests.

The cop shop is busy bro :beer3:
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm Cleaned up some posts. On topic please. OP is helping to warn others of similar scams.
Thank you Sir, you understand and read 100 % of my post and not only some parts...
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:45 pm

My apologies now I have reread it carefully - should read 1 or 2 murders a month - It was late and I hadn't had a beer all day.

Sorry Sorry...

It's certainly a lot higher than Central PP.

Chin Chin :beer2:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:16 pm To all tourists and permanently resident in Siem Reap foreigners: I search together with the competent authorities - officially - an 35-40 year-old cheater, who is probably a Cambodian citizen. He speaks specifically foreigners in good English spoken language, mostly of Western descent and tells that he teaches poor, destitute children as a teacher of English and Japanese.

He then shows some older pictures and documents that do not really prove his story credibly. Important details are missing! He can not answer specific questions about the details, such as the location, so the address of the school, etc.! He had a list of about 60 victims who gave him money, a total of about 800-1000 USD in the last 2 months. Numerous names from Europe and Australia with signatures.
He may be a scammer. But:

I suggest, tell him you want to visit the school, and meet the students. If you feel safe, you can do it. If not ask someone else, or go as a group. If he does not teach at all, he cant show you where he teaches. You might get a surprise. He may take you to see his school and students. Then report back what you find out.

There have been a lot of scams like this in Cambodia. But they don't get much money if they dont actually do it. So they rent a house, and start a school in the house. Then they can take potential donors to see the school, and they get more money. Eventually they may get enough money to build a classroom. They get even more money. They eventually get big enough to get backpackers to do fundraising for them. Some are now large organizations. They actually do what they say they are doing, so people give. But not all of the money goes to the school. A lot goes in their own pocket. People continue supporting them, but they don't know where all of the money goes.

There is one place I can think of where they do a lot of good. A lot of students are getting a better education as a result of what they are doing. They get a lot of volunteers. But the owner is getting rich in the process, while the volunteers work for nothing, and even give donations.

Do you give donations? Do you support them?

Is it really a scam if they do what they say they are doing, but some of the money goes into their own pocket?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Locked Previous topicNext topic