Cintri Garbage Company to be Nationalized Says PM

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Cintri Garbage Company to be Nationalized Says PM

Post by Anchor Moy »

King Keil wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 pm Wonder what it will look like on chinese new year.
Everything will be so clean that you won't believe it. That won't last either, but you will see - everything is cleaned for CNY.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:04 pm Image
Cambodians should vote with their feet, in other words: en mass refuse to pay the garbage fee as long as the shit on the street continues.
Not going to happen, I know, but it would be a very powerful means of protest.
Especially since you don't risk anymore your electricity supply being cut off when not paying the garbage collection fee.

But who knows, if some young, activist Cambodians are going to organize such a protest via Facebook...
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

frizzie77 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:50 pm
Cambodians should vote with their feet, in other words: en mass refuse to pay the garbage fee as long as the shit on the street continues.
Not going to happen, I know, but it would be a very powerful means of protest.
Especially since you don't risk anymore your electricity supply being cut off when not paying the garbage collection fee.

But who knows, if some young, activist Cambodians are going to organize such a protest via Facebook...
Cambodians won't do squat. I was going to a meeting with my boss and he threw his garbage out of the car window. I asked him not to do that again and he just laughed stating "it's ok. It's cambodia."

Trash doesn't bother most people. I've heard all kind of excuses to justify the filth that makes up the streets of PP, but in the end it really comes down to one thing: accountability. If the very people that trash the city refuse to hold themselves accountable and the government is out there pointing fingers instead of taking drastic measures, there will be no change. Does the local population even want change?

Facebook activism has worked to some extent in the past (the best example I can think of is the Arab spring), but things are slightly different here. First, the culture of not denouncing the misdeeds of the higher ups for fear of disrespecting them will prevent anything from happening. Second, the Iranian fool clumsily pointed out the obvious. What was the reaction? Every single cambodian (young and old) focused on his tinder drivel. No one, absolutely no one, addressed the trash issue. Government lost face and banned him. Streets of pp are still looking like a dump.

Nationalizing trash collection services in a country where corruption is widespread will ultimately result in a shit show. Not saying that cambodia is a Venezuela in the making, but incompetent and greedy officials aren't really cut for the job and will run the company to the ground unless foreign development agencies step in. EDC is a prime example of a failed nationalized service provider.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Many of my (ex) students have given a shit about trash. I can't refute what you say about nothing will be done because of loss of face if anyone challenges the higher ups, but there are plenty of youth who do care and are changing their own behaviours. Small steps. It took the west eons to get Greta. (lol).
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

I've also witnessed some shit giving. That's a minority of people though. My SO, for example, keeps on telling me how clean Holland is and how much she'd like to live there. I've ever been but I believe her. Yet, she's very defeatist when it comes to Cambodia. She doesn't believe in her own people.

The EPA wasn't created until recently. Some of you were already born. So yea, per usual, give cambodia some time. Maybe, and I'm putting an emphasis on maybe, something will happen.

I asked a good friend of mine why isn't Greenpeace active in cambodia (not that Greenpeace is all that powerful and mighty). He just shook his head and said that cambodia was a lost cause. That was before I moved here. Now I understand where he was coming from.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I am noticing much bigger piles than usual. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

It's getting worse if people are now posting about it on social media.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Disgusting, you can't walk anywhere without encountering these gigantic health hazards.
With the heat that can become dangerous at one point.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Guy in a shop on St 19 told me they had to pay $50 to Cintri and that all the other shops did as well.

I don't understand uncoupling the billing from EDC. Who is going to pay a separate $0.80 invoice? And if you don't pay it, what will happen? It's not like they can tell which is your rubbish and leave it behind. Makes sense to have it included on the EDC bill because if you don't pay it... you'll soon get an incentive.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:28 pm Guy in a shop on St 19 told me they had to pay $50 to Cintri and that all the other shops did as well.

I don't understand uncoupling the billing from EDC. Who is going to pay a separate $0.80 invoice? And if you don't pay it, what will happen? It's not like they can tell which is your rubbish and leave it behind. Makes sense to have it included on the EDC bill because if you don't pay it... you'll soon get an incentive.
There's a reason it's called Kingdom of Wonder and not Kingdom of Logic....

Someone, or some group, had an incentive for this change, so it changed....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic