Retirement in Cambodia compared to other Southeast Asian countries

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WhiffOfDurian
Tourist
Great Britain

Retirement in Cambodia compared to other Southeast Asian countries

Post by WhiffOfDurian »

Afternoon all, while I'm not retiring just yet - may still have a long way to go on that front - I'm keen to get some thoughts on how Cambodia compares as a destination for retirees, in particular by contrast to Thailand which seems like one of the top choices for winding down.

I heard things are getting pricey in Thailand - particularly for those on fixed incomes like pension, which coupled with the new visa regulations seems like it might be driving folks out of the country and into places like here or Vietnam, but just wanted to clarify is this is something that folks could confirm or deny? If so, are there other factors at work?

Thanks in advance.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Retirement in Cambodia compared to other Southeast Asian countries

Post by explorer »

Let's say you live many years after you retire. Nobody can predict how things will be for many years to come.

Probably, all of the countries you mentioned will get more expensive. Maybe to the point where you can no longer afford to live there. Visa rules may change. Maybe making it difficult to stay in any of those places full time.

I suggest: Live in your home country. Have long holidays in any of the countries of your choosing. If it gets too expensive, or visas get more difficult, or you have health problems, stay home more and travel less.

You can have a lot of fun in the mean time, but have a home to go back to.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
WhiffOfDurian
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by WhiffOfDurian »

Sage advice, probably - but I'm more interested in finding out more specific differences between Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam etc. for retirees. You've raised some excellent points - in particular the threat of changing visa regulations - but I'm researching into this topic for work and am trying to get some firsthand experiences of those familiar with Thailand and Cambodia as a retirement destination.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I can't help your: they changed the question behind your back. However in my personal opinion you are 20 years too late unless you are bilingual and a millionaire.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand, (over 50) and some hoops to jump thru + a high monthly pension, ( 65,000 baht/month wired into thailand) or the ability to leave $$ in Bank. This can be bypassed using an agent but than ur visa will cost ya 22-25,000 baht/year vs 1,900 baht. Thai Baht is strong now
Cambodia, (today) only need apply if your over 55, Apx $290/year. Currency tied to the $
Vietnam, No idea

tomorrow?? who knows
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

There are lots of retirees/pensioners in Việt Nam, mostly in coastal cities like Đà Nẵng, Nha Trang and Vũng Tàu. Hà Nội and Sài Gòn have the usual big city problems. There's no retirement visa though. Americans can get one-year visas. Others seem to be able to stay somehow.

The low cost of living is a major factor, the economy is doing well, the country is devloping, it's a lot more foreigner friendly than before.

Compared to Thailand though, where the main focus is on 'sanook', VN can be just a tiny bit dull.

Anyhow, it's a viable option. You'd definitely want to visit and get a feel for the place before making a decision. It's certainly not for everyone.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Here's an inneresting and informative thread about Vũng Tàu from a couple months ago:

general-chatter/vung-tau-t31151.html?hilit=vung%20tau
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic